Where can I find 3d printer and laser cutter files for rocket parts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunstar

Reaction score
My public library gives me access to a 3d printer and laser cutter. Is there some place that has an archive of files to 3d print nose cones or cut centering rings etc? I'd especially like to get files to 3d print the fins and other plastic parts of Estes R2-D2 rocket if possible. I have a heavily damaged one and if I can't find those files I might rip mine apart and 3d scan those parts, but the skirt at the bottom on mine is damaged.

How big are the parts? My library only gives you 2 hours of printer time. That’s not enough anything but the smallest parts. Enough maybe for a couple of small centering rings or a short 24mm nose cone at medium resolution - depending on how fast their printer is.

Thingiverse is the place to go but it’s hit and miss. I’ve had good luck sourcing stl files and openscad code from there and modifying it as needed though.

I maintain a small library of parametric open scad parts here:
https://github.com/barnstar/ParametricRocketComp

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Alternately, you can print a paper model on #110-lb cardstock and convert it to a rocket, add some fins to the legs.

https://paper-replika.com/index.php...5612:r2-d2-star-wars-papercraft&Itemid=200144

You might be able to make just enough of the paper model to repair your plastic model. Kind of like rebuilding your droid as a Cyborg. :)

I have been thinking about 3D printing the vintage Centuri Screaming Eagle fin can, not sure if anyone has done that one already.

2 hours isn't much... If you need it, I know a few of us here on TRF are willing to print things and ship them to members for reasonable prices. I'm willing to do a few here and there, and I've seen others offer. And printers have been getting cheaper as well. Lots of rocketry uses for printers.

Thanks for sharing your SCAD files. It's always nice to see more options out there for parts. I have a few posts around with links to my parts on onshape. Mostly AV bay sleds and related parts. Some bay caps with charge holders etc..

2 hours isn't much... If you need it, I know a few of us here on TRF are willing to print things and ship them to members for reasonable prices. I'm willing to do a few here and there, and I've seen others offer. And printers have been getting cheaper as well. Lots of rocketry uses for printers.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. I thinking mainly of bt50 and bt20 nose cones, so not very big. I think the printers the library has will be able to do that in time.

For comparison's sake I printed up a BT-50 cone with a cockpit shape, with a 20% infill and it took about 50 minutes on my printer.

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve done a few 2.6” nose cones now... I usually do them in 3 pieces and in total and the printer is running for close to 20 hours at decent, but not the highest quality. That’s still 400 nose cones a year which might almost be enough...

Quality is a function of speed with any 3d printer...

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back