Old engines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunstar

Reaction score
I'm getting back into model rocketry after a 10 year pause, and in going through my box of supplies I was surprised to find a had a box of several unused rocket engines. (all Estes, most of the A8-3 with some C6 and D engines) These were stored in a non-airtight container in my basement so they haven't gone through a bunch of freeze-thaw cycles, and we have central A/C so they haven't been exposed to high humidity. Most of them had an igniter and plug in the nozzle the whole time as well.

They look like new, how likely would it be for them to still be usable?

I would use them. If you have a rocket that you don't mind seeing damaged that would be the best candidate. They should be good, but...

Anyway, I had an E9 CATO (the clay cap at the ejection charge end gave out on the launch pad) a few months ago and the rocket was undamaged. It flew on a different E9 about 10 minutes later after I replaced the motor and repacked the chute. I have seen other rockets damaged by CATOs. So load them up and make sure you are the required safe distance when launching ANY rocket.

Motors will be fine and will not cato.

Igniters may be decomposed. Check them for corrosion where the tiny bridge wire is spot welded to the thicker lead wires.

Replace igniters as necessary.

I'm getting back into model rocketry after a 10 year pause, and in going through my box of supplies I was surprised to find a had a box of several unused rocket engines. (all Estes, most of the A8-3 with some C6 and D engines) These were stored in a non-airtight container in my basement so they haven't gone through a bunch of freeze-thaw cycles, and we have central A/C so they haven't been exposed to high humidity. Most of them had an igniter and plug in the nozzle the whole time as well.

They look like new, how likely would it be for them to still be usable?

Anyone have any concerns about the plugs pressing against the clay nozzles for all that time?
Could that promote any misshaping or cracking?
Fly a few of each flavor in rockets you don't care about as Zeus-cat suggests.
Let us know what you find.

Not if the motors are 10 years old.

if the motors were from 1999 or 2000 then I would be very worried as those were the years of "Poopy Clay". Old fashioned date codes in those days would have year code C or D. I think A and B were also no thrilll.

Anyone have any concerns about the plugs pressing against the clay nozzles for all that time?
Could that promote any misshaping or cracking?
Fly a few of each flavor in rockets you don't care about as Zeus-cat suggests.
Let us know what you find.

Back