• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

54mm and 38mm filament wound carbon tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also use one. I hear you on the mods, need to add a spool for the shrink tape, long drip tray, mounted heat gun and put 4th axis on real bearings. What have you found? Are you using packing tape and receipt paper or freezing out the mandrel?

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1520812610.143909.jpg

Okay two comments from the mods:

1) This thread has already been reported for comments that are harassing a manufacturer but, as i read through it, the comments in question produced an apologyu and generated a decent, and thoughtful, discussion. That said, please be careful. This does tread close the edges in our rules.

2) The OP is not a registered vendor on this forum and has been allowed this discussion based on the assumption that he is doing "market research." Once again, this is a fine line so be very careful about selling stuff here. That isn't my rule, that comes from the owners. Please don't post "sale" information in such a way that you will a) attract the owners attention to this thread or b) get current manufacturers or vendors to feel like they need to report this thread to the owners. Its a fine line. As long as you are doing "research" its okay, but once you're a "vendor" then it's not okay.

Confused yet?

I am.

Why cant anyone sell anything on here that is rocketry related? If its homemade, so what? If it is mass produced, so what? If there is a person who wants to buy it all the power to the seller and the buyer.

Now if someone is selling their car here or their house I can see that it would not be allowed.

Good job Sinfuldarklord, keep up the ingenuity.

Last edited:
Why cant anyone sell anything on here that is rocketry related? If its homemade, so what? If it is mass produced, so what? If there is a person who wants to buy it all the power to the seller and the buyer.

Now if someone is selling their car here or their house I can see that it would not be allowed.

because if someone is making money here as a business, the owners want their cut.

because if someone is making money here as a business, the owners want their cut.

So the owners of the forum get a small percentage of the sales if a vendor is selling stuff?? Vendor dont usually sell stuff here, do they? They have their websites. Similar to ebay? I would think they would stay away from selling stuff on here because if they have to pay a fee why not just sell their stuff on their own website. I am sure websites are already expensive, why add to the cost by selling here and having to give a cut to the owners.

So the owners of the forum get a small percentage of the sales if a vendor is selling stuff?? Vendor dont usually sell stuff here, do they? They have their websites. Similar to ebay? I would think they would stay away from selling stuff on here because if they have to pay a fee why not just sell their stuff on their own website. I am sure websites are already expensive, why add to the cost by selling here and having to give a cut to the owners.

It is purely an advertising fee. $25 per month regardless of sales or company size, so I pay the same that the big boys (to the extent any rocket vendor is a big boy) do.

That said, I appreciate the leeway that was granted me by the mods when I was trying to make a go/no-go decision on going legit. In the end TRF will probably make more money because I am now paying the fee than if I was run out if the yard sale at first appearance with my product prototypes as I would have probably never formally opened for business.

Keep up the effort Alex, and keep improving your process, and you will hit a point that justifies paying the freight to go legit.

It is purely an advertising fee. $25 per month regardless of sales or company size, so I pay the same that the big boys (to the extent any rocket vendor is a big boy) do.

That said, I appreciate the leeway that was granted me by the mods when I was trying to make a go/no-go decision on going legit. In the end TRF will probably make more money because I am now paying the fee than if I was run out if the yard sale at first appearance with my product prototypes as I would have probably never formally opened for business.

Keep up the effort Alex, and keep improving your process, and you will hit a point that justifies paying the freight to go legit.

Oh ok that makes sense. Its a "advertising fee" that explains the whole thing.

I want to thank you all for your support. I need to obtain more supplies and I need these last two 54mm tubes to go do so. I cant move forward without you guys. I appreciate those greatly who have purchased from me.

They are still going for $90 plus shipping.

Composite Addict

Got my toob today- it looks great!

As far as Alex "running a business" from the forum, the guy sells like 2 tubes a month- I don't think it could really count as a business. I look at it as him refining his process, and sharing some of what he makes with us.

Got my 38mm tube today and was really impressed with the workmanship. My plan is to leave the CF unpainted, and to paint the fin can and nose cone flat black. Any suggestions about sanding or finishing the CF for it's best "natural" appearance?

Got my 38mm tube today and was really impressed with the workmanship. My plan is to leave the CF unpainted, and to paint the fin can and nose cone flat black. Any suggestions about sanding or finishing the CF for it's best "natural" appearance?

Glad you like it, I would suggest placing a thick coat of clear gloss and wet sand it with 320 grit sandpaper. This will cause the clear gloss to level with the spirals and preserve the carbon look.

Composite Addict

The 516 gram 54mm standard wall carbon tube is SOLD! Only one more remains.

Composite Addict

I recieved confimation from djs that the Wildman couplers fit my 54mm filament wound carbon tubes. Unfortunately Madcow couplers need to be sanded down a little in order to fit.

Thank you djs

Composite Addict

Final 54mm is SOLD! Thank you all who have purchased. It means a lot to me.

Composite Addict

Back