Proton M - New Scratch Build - Low Power

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToneDeafJunior

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished the Proton M I've been wanting to build. I have three small 1/8th inch thick clear fins to add that need to airfoil tonight. Here are the details.
18mm motor tube – not 24mm – wanted to keep this one.
BT-60 tubes and coupler
BT-5 6x fuel tanks and paper cones sprayed
Skins were from a paper rocket that I re-sized to fit the tubes, color printed on full sheet label paper, affixed to tubes and sprayed with matte finish.
Nozzles turned with a file on a drill press and painted.
Paper nose cone with 3 pennies E6000'ed (glue from WM) in.
Different sized dowels for tubes.
It's been so windy here and I don't have a huge field to launch so I'm going to have to wait. It's killing me.
20180301_175545.jpg20180301_175603.jpg20180301_175554.jpg20180301_175650.jpg20180224_214641.jpg

This looks great, I looked at doing a proton or a N1 after my Soyuz build. I recon it might be stable without any additional fins, however that might be a question of how much nose weight you can get away with, and having a nice calm launch day

2 weeks ago it took its first flight. Straight up to only about 300-350 feet with a C6-4. This is exactly what I wanted. Came down in one piece. Minor damage on 2 of the turned nozzles when impact with the ground. I was alone when I shot it so I have no video. I'll try to bring a friend next time so I can get some video. Thank you for the kind words.
I'd like to see how your Soyuz is going Wrad. I'm too chicken to start one. I just don't think I have the skills yet to take on such boosters. Do you have any pictures? Also, is that one of your rockets in your picture? I'm thinking of purchasing the Soyuz from Apogee but I already have 3 or 4 in the closet right now my wife doesn't know about. I don't want to push it. You know, happy wife...

2 weeks ago it took its first flight. Straight up to only about 300-350 feet with a C6-4. This is exactly what I wanted. Came down in one piece. Minor damage on 2 of the turned nozzles when impact with the ground. I was alone when I shot it so I have no video. I'll try to bring a friend next time so I can get some video. Thank you for the kind words.
I'd like to see how your Soyuz is going Wrad. I'm too chicken to start one. I just don't think I have the skills yet to take on such boosters. Do you have any pictures? Also, is that one of your rockets in your picture? I'm thinking of purchasing the Soyuz from Apogee but I already have 3 or 4 in the closet right now my wife doesn't know about. I don't want to push it. You know, happy wife...

Great to hear it flew well!

This is my Soyuz build, and the one in the picture.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?138603-Soyuz-1-50-build

The build was a massive leap in complexity for me, but the pay off is well worth the learning curve. I would highly recommend biting off more than you think you can chew as such. The hardest part is pressing the go button on something you have spent so much time on building!

Back