Tbolt/firestorm 54 questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liv3mind

Amateur Hour
Reaction score
Anyone have rocksim files for GLR t-bolt and firestorm 54? I am about to purchase both but want to run some sims first. What motors are you guys flying these on? Altitudes?

Oh perfect i was browsing on there but didn’t see any of the newer FG kits under the review area. Thanks a ton for the link

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

My pleasure. I'm a big fan of the Firestorm 54. I did my L2 on one years ago now and then promptly trashed it the next day as I flew a J1999N in it. It was two weeks before the recall.

I have a second one that I flew heaps of times until a couple years ago when it separated under boost and left a 6 inch zipper on the lower airframe. Only recently I cut that airframe section out (sadly below the super mount) so I've got a squished Firestorm 54 now!

My pleasure. I'm a big fan of the Firestorm 54. I did my L2 on one years ago now and then promptly trashed it the next day as I flew a J1999N in it. It was two weeks before the recall.

I have a second one that I flew heaps of times until a couple years ago when it separated under boost and left a 6 inch zipper on the lower airframe. Only recently I cut that airframe section out (sadly below the super mount) so I've got a squished Firestorm 54 now!

That sounds awesome! Smaller dual deployment birds always look so rad. I am pretty excited to be getting both of them. I ran some sims last night on both and am pretty jazzed to get them going. I am planning to get a 24” chute for the t-bolt to help it come back closer. Seems like most 38mm motors will put it close to/above 2k. I am getting a 29mm adapter with it as well. I just need to figure out where/how to get a Altimeter and possibly gps tracking into it. I will probably do review/build for both as there doesn’t seem to be a lot of info on the newer FG versions.

I have the 38mm Tbolt, and it's an awesome rocket. The 29mm adapter is a good investment. Only virtually any 38mm motor or reload that thing will get out of sight in a hurry. It's a very small rocket too. I built mine using the Ape-RC.com nose cone payload bay. This allows me to fly a tracker pretty easily--it's tight but everything fits. See this thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...er-Bay-System-for-Wildman-CTI-38mm-Nose-Cones

The airframe is a bit too snug for my JLCR--so I agree on the use of a smaller chute. The descent rate may be faster than you like, but the fin can and airframe can handle high speed landings.

The rocksim file for it is here:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/unknown-thunderbolt-38.html

I have the 38mm Tbolt, and it's an awesome rocket. The 29mm adapter is a good investment. Only virtually any 38mm motor or reload that thing will get out of sight in a hurry. It's a very small rocket too. I built mine using the Ape-RC.com nose cone payload bay. This allows me to fly a tracker pretty easily--it's tight but everything fits. See this thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...er-Bay-System-for-Wildman-CTI-38mm-Nose-Cones

The airframe is a bit too snug for my JLCR--so I agree on the use of a smaller chute. The descent rate may be faster than you like, but the fin can and airframe can handle high speed landings.

The rocksim file for it is here:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/unknown-thunderbolt-38.html

That nose cone payload bay is PERFECT. Exactly what i was looking for. You used the GLR nose cone and just trim till it fits? I might just have to buy one for both ;)

I purchased the Wildman nose cone, but didn't care for the way it looked on the airframe. Used a Olfa knife to trim the GLR nose cone, and drilled a hole. It fit snug, but works great. I ended up having to sand the interior of the airframe just a bit because the APE altimeter expanded the base of the GLR nose cone slightly. A bit of sanding, and now everything fits as it should.

BTW, if you haven't flown any of Chris at APE-RC's products before, they are top notch. Really well made.

Now you've got me wanting to look at a Firestorm 54 for a dual deploy project. My wife may be looking for you. Watch your back!

I purchased the Wildman nose cone, but didn't care for the way it looked on the airframe. Used a Olfa knife to trim the GLR nose cone, and drilled a hole. It fit snug, but works great. I ended up having to sand the interior of the airframe just a bit because the APE altimeter expanded the base of the GLR nose cone slightly. A bit of sanding, and now everything fits as it should.

BTW, if you haven't flown any of Chris at APE-RC's products before, they are top notch. Really well made.

Now you've got me wanting to look at a Firestorm 54 for a dual deploy project. My wife may be looking for you. Watch your back!

I haven’t flown any of their products but they look stellar. My wife finally gave me the go ahead to move out of estes and into HPR so I’m very excited to get stuff going. I intend to put the firestorm in the closet until I’m comfortable using the 29mm motors, and eventually 38mm on the t-bolt. I am ordering a 38mm adapter to go with the firestorm as well to graduate into the dual deployment with a easier transition in the power department. The electronics have me a little stressed but i intend to do some on the t-bolt to get my feet wet a little. Im also going to try jumping right into using reloads instead of single use.

That sounds awesome! Smaller dual deployment birds always look so rad. I am pretty excited to be getting both of them. I ran some sims last night on both and am pretty jazzed to get them going. I am planning to get a 24” chute for the t-bolt to help it come back closer. Seems like most 38mm motors will put it close to/above 2k. I am getting a 29mm adapter with it as well. I just need to figure out where/how to get a Altimeter and possibly gps tracking into it. I will probably do review/build for both as there doesn’t seem to be a lot of info on the newer FG versions.

I had a quick dig around, here's a photo from 2010 of my first Firestorm on a J1999 milliseconds from CATOing. Here's hoping you have better luck with yours!

SW1CmpQ8yMB74k_eVt7CCBy3qoxH5FTls3FBRulm3AWD459fIxcOPAwkhlI7zOSD8hN404VLrXTTPvpJ5eiKfgoxPiNEy_LVxdEjolo316DKfXwS0-o5cZD-tqsE763qa5j40s-IZ7r_Vj1xW7ymWpdBypTHaa6TqNnxX5u3Lb_hdy5kpv8DEGcyoRt64Jo4BSormLC-4YB2lQCoxeSGFLR2J-juMVmopRmmP1PSs7Y8I4oySM9gKdN_7AIC9Nydve7Y3yAVPX1m4SJjE1KlNf4rPAYEV3odXAV8QL67Dvc7cQOSq9SqiGsdT2LqYtS_37u3sjbJd6mbN1XXN_HMLRYhUCVkS1L6JHsfwByoIw--w67rqXraaICSWttDSw18gcNgLgg45S_KUsWUKaZf_dYJ014GRHc_LNoi1zscwoWbvZeZNm-MvK0gneav-caz7g4mZKp1OK7n_JZQMTM1ar9S7hA7VkJ3SChjgtpwRLYgDbYlmhZFO6SMUPv5po51SDBkIjFXviBq525tuURl8Psf2fuBl189bQaXX2m986V1lvj1Qq611ORBowXK4GCQAScCFANsI4ekt0G6EFOAzLxP4773jrQnMTQJ6-Q=w580-h869-no

I have always thought the T Bolt with the bell retainer is one of the coolest looking rockets. One day I’ll get around to building one.

I haven't seen either one in FG, but the Magna-Frame T-Bolt was my L1 kit, first flight on a H148R was perfect, second flight on an I280DM was unfortunately its last, I blame only using half of the BP charge in the motor (as per AT's instructions for smaller-diameter airframes) as the cause, rocket never separated. My next kit was a Firestorm 54 (also Magna-Frame), it's still the rocket I've flown the most (17 HPR flights of 63 total). It had a rough life though, as noted in this post. FG would have worked much better I think, but I opted to replace it with a modified Go Devil 54 instead.

Didn't have a good zoom camera at the time, so the T-bolt launch shots are not great.

DSC03845.jpgDSC03847.jpgDSC03854.jpgDSC03855.jpg

One day a while back, my buddy Dave and I built a Tbolt in 40 min (no paint) and went with a J350. 10,260 ft. I still have it. It had a little rough go with a Loki I540, Flight was fine , landed in a pond. After a few months went by, the pond went dry and we brough her home. I should get it ready for another Loki....The Tbolt was made for that I540! BTW I did paint it, red ,white and blue.

I have always thought the T Bolt with the bell retainer is one of the coolest looking rockets. One day I’ll get around to building one.

They do look pretty rad, I’m a big fan of the bell retainer look as well. Build one!

I haven't seen either one in FG, but the Magna-Frame T-Bolt was my L1 kit, first flight on a H148R was perfect, second flight on an I280DM was unfortunately its last, I blame only using half of the BP charge in the motor (as per AT's instructions for smaller-diameter airframes) as the cause, rocket never separated. My next kit was a Firestorm 54 (also Magna-Frame), it's still the rocket I've flown the most (17 HPR flights of 63 total). It had a rough life though, as noted in this post. FG would have worked much better I think, but I opted to replace it with a modified Go Devil 54 instead.

Didn't have a good zoom camera at the time, so the T-bolt launch shots are not great.

]

I will say i have been over your build and review about a dozen times now. It was definitely helpful in deciding to go with it.

One day a while back, my buddy Dave and I built a Tbolt in 40 min (no paint) and went with a J350. 10,260 ft. I still have it. It had a little rough go with a Loki I540, Flight was fine , landed in a pond. After a few months went by, the pond went dry and we brough her home. I should get it ready for another Loki....The Tbolt was made for that I540! BTW I did paint it, red ,white and blue.

10k?!? Thats awesome. Even better is getting it back a couple months later haha.

I wanted to thank everyone for their input on these two kits. I actually ended up going a different route. GLR was awesome with their help and information and i plan to order one of their kits in the future. Last night i placed an order with Mac Performance for a 3” Blackfly 38mm with wildman nose cone with a custom overall length of 48” for my L1 build. I also ordered a 3” Zodiac 54mm with wildman nose cone for a future DD/L2 build. Hoping to build and cert for L1 in the next couple months. I will start threads for each as i begin the builds. Mike was extremely helpful and responsive, Mac seems like they have a well deserved reputation of pure awesome. Ordered last night and got a shipment confirmation this morning! So stoked to start in HPR.

Back