Where to put a single 3D printed conformal rail guide.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snrkl

Reaction score
I posted this on the build thread but I’m thinking it’s not gotten eyeballs soon enough to help - apologies in advance for the duplicate post...

Long story short: Shortened apogee aspire with double diamond papered/CAd/Epoxied/epoxy filleted balsa fins going supersonic on a g80 to about 4500ft. Eggfinder mini and A3 in the nose. (I’ve flown / lost this before and fin strength isn’t a problem at all)

Here is my dilemma:

I grabbed some 29mm 3D printed conformal rail guides from apogee.

I know this rocket is small (510mm) and doesn’t need two guides.

Now I can’t decide whether I should put the one guide I’m using on or behind the CG.

My gut says between the CG and CP (pictured) but I’m having trouble thinking my way through the impacts. I’ve launched exactly ZERO rockets off a rail so far and even fewer (!!) with one of these rail guides, so inputs are sought and welcome!!

This thing will be launching on a g80 with a ~30:1 thrust to weight ratio - I’m less worried about rail length then I am about possibly uneven thrust forces (not sure if I’m nuts!) breaking the guide before it finishes on the rail (with the obvious dread/hilarity that would ensue...)

I’ll be packing some sandpaper to ensure the rail inside and out are clean (and some wd40 for good measure) but thoughts on where to put this single 3D printed rail guide are appreciated.

IMG_8430.jpg
IMG_8431.jpg

Cut it in two, or even smaller, and put one where it is now and the other lose to the base.

This was exactly the advice I was given at the RSO table when I presented a rocket with that same Apogee rail guide, placed "a little too far forward"

snrklraileguidequestion.png

Thanks team - you are spot on... and the funny thing is, I had not even THOUGHT of doing that... (feeling pretty dumb!! ;^) )

Back