I have had to chase away the turkeys twice today!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
We have wild turkeys that come right up to the house and peck at the window for our hobby room. Apparently they think the reflection is another turkey and is a rival for the females. Twice today I have had to go downstairs and shoo them away. I open the door and gobble at them. They take off running, but they'll be back.

This morning I gobbled at them from the hobby room and they just gobbled right back and the male just kept pecking at the window. I had to go up to the window to spook them a little. Then I had to go and open the door to the backyard to get them to really back off. This afternoon the sound was really freaking out our kitten. She is normally fearless, but she couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from or what it was. And they peck the window pretty hard. We have had to close the screen door on the basement door or they peck at the door.

I guess we all have our problems to bear. :smile:

Every spring, the male cardinals attack their reflections in the French doors. Last year, I had the bright idea of printing out full-sized pictures of a hissing cat and taping them to the windows. The attacks stopped immediately. Perhaps you could do something similar with a picture of one of their natural predators?

Good idea

370d5c69c0c596968c2728c9ba0d1da9.jpg

hahahahaha,,
Dat's a goodie..
I think that's an awfully cool problem to have..
I'd go put food out for them..
(Probably make myself a problem with them, lol )..
Then once or twice a year they'd feed me,, lol..
There are places very near me that have turkey and deer in their yards..
Not by me unfortunately..

Very cool..

Teddy

I was going to say, sounds like Thanksgiving came early. Maybe a pellet gun to keep the noise down, and fill the freezer...

It's kind of a cool problem to have. We had them in North GA. when we lived there. They can be quite bold this time of year. In Oct/Nov deer were an occupational hazard driving into work in the dark or coming home. Ah' I miss those days. Just coyote and bobcats here in Tx. The bobcats are cool though! We should be seeing the little ones around here soon on the property. Only seen a few gobblers around here and the deer are runts---I mean really runts compared to what I'm used to. ---H

IMG_0617.jpg

We used to have a lot of problems with deer and elk in our yard, but improved fencing and a dog have mostly taken care of the problem. The deer will eat the shrubs, flowers, vegetables, and even kill small trees. The elk just pass through, but a couple hundred of them can really dig up the lawn.

We have 5 acres as do the neighbors (only 5 houses on the 70 acres as several lots are still for sale and several more that were sold, but no houses put up). We have about 1 acre that is cleared for the house, yards and septic leach field. The leach field is a prairie with native plants specifically selected for a septic area. My wife has been clearing all of the non-native trees from the area; mainly bush honeysuckle and autumn olive. Both are invasive species and fairly aggressive. She has been making trails in the woods to clear out the invasive species and we see a lot of deer tracks on the trails.

Anyway, we put out sunflower seeds, corn and water. We have wild turkeys, deer, raccoons, possums and a lot of small birds. We also saw two red foxes a month ago. A couple of weeks ago we had two skunks fighting over the cat food we put out for a stray cat. My wife usually brings in the cat food before it gets dark, but she forgot and the skunks were really making a lot of noise. Not much you can do about that, but they both left and neither of them sprayed.

I don't think we are allowed to hunt on any of the 70 acres; it was in the sales agreement for the land.

We have 5 acres as do the neighbors (only 5 houses on the 70 acres as several lots are still for sale and several more that were sold, but no houses put up). We have about 1 acre that is cleared for the house, yards and septic leach field. The leach field is a prairie with native plants specifically selected for a septic area. My wife has been clearing all of the non-native trees from the area; mainly bush honeysuckle and autumn olive. Both are invasive species and fairly aggressive. She has been making trails in the woods to clear out the invasive species and we see a lot of deer tracks on the trails.

Anyway, we put out sunflower seeds, corn and water. We have wild turkeys, deer, raccoons, possums and a lot of small birds. We also saw two red foxes a month ago. A couple of weeks ago we had two skunks fighting over the cat food we put out for a stray cat. My wife usually brings in the cat food before it gets dark, but she forgot and the skunks were really making a lot of noise. Not much you can do about that, but they both left and neither of them sprayed.

I don't think we are allowed to hunt on any of the 70 acres; it was in the sales agreement for the land.

I forgot to mention the skunks around here---they-are-everywhere!! We got the opossum and the half shell type too but the skunks--OMG!

For some reason Furry Vengeance comes to mind😀

We watched it on Netfix with our kids last evening.

It's kind of a cool problem to have. We had them in North GA. when we lived there. They can be quite bold this time of year. In Oct/Nov deer were an occupational hazard driving into work in the dark or coming home. Ah' I miss those days. Just coyote and bobcats here in Tx. The bobcats are cool though! We should be seeing the little ones around here soon on the property. Only seen a few gobblers around here and the deer are runts---I mean really runts compared to what I'm used to. ---H

There's a lot of deer by me,, midsized...
I've been up to Maine a couple of times and those deer are what make me call the Jersey deer midsized,, lol,, they're really big..
In Heckscher State Park in Long Island where hunting hasn't been allowed for generations of deer, I have seen pic's years ago of 8 point bucks trying to get their head / rack into the window of a car to get an apple.. Very small bodied deer..
I always thought the Whitetails in Texas were very big though ??

View attachment 339880

We used to have a lot of problems with deer and elk in our yard, but improved fencing and a dog have mostly taken care of the problem. The deer will eat the shrubs, flowers, vegetables, and even kill small trees. The elk just pass through, but a couple hundred of them can really dig up the lawn.

Dan,,
Are you freakin serious man..
Look,, now your just showin off,, lol..
How cool is that,, you have Elk in your yard so much for so long that you're sick of their crap and fenced em out,, lol..
That's too cool Dan..

Too bad you can't hunt just once a year or something,, think they'd reconsider ??

Teddy

I live on a bluff overlooking the Minnesota river and get to see just about ever kind of bird and animal that lives or passes thru here. A bit early here for the mating season of turkeys, but in the next few weeks things should pickup.We have a dozen or so around and while I like watching them fan out and strut and gobble, the dropping are sure a real mess. The dog can sit in front of the picture window for hours watching them.

One of the greatest things that I have seen was a few years ago when a couple of Canada geese that were in the yard got into it with a couple of turkeys. I don't know if there were young or nest's nearby, but it looked like a fight to the death. Rolling on the ground, pecking at each other, feathers flying, it was just amazing to watch. After about 20 minutes they just quit and walked away from each other, all four of them looking a bit beat up.

Wife likes to feed the deer, but they take a heavy toll on the plants, bushes and flowers in the yard. Here's a picture taken from my living room, thru the picture window a couple of weeks ago.

003.jpg

I live on a bluff overlooking the Minnesota river and get to see just about ever kind of bird and animal that lives or passes thru here. A bit early here for the mating season of turkeys, but in the next few weeks things should pickup.We have a dozen or so around and while I like watching them fan out and strut and gobble, the dropping are sure a real mess. The dog can sit in front of the picture window for hours watching them.

One of the greatest things that I have seen was a few years ago when a couple of Canada geese that were in the yard got into it with a couple of turkeys. I don't know if there were young or nest's nearby, but it looked like a fight to the death. Rolling on the ground, pecking at each other, feathers flying, it was just amazing to watch. After about 20 minutes they just quit and walked away from each other, all four of them looking a bit beat up.

Wife likes to feed the deer, but they take a heavy toll on the plants, bushes and flowers in the yard. Here's a picture taken from my living room, thru the picture window a couple of weeks ago.

Wow,,
Too beautiful..
Good for you man..

Teddy

We have wild turkeys that come right up to the house and peck at the window for our hobby room. Apparently they think the reflection is another turkey and is a rival for the females. Twice today I have had to go downstairs and shoo them away. I open the door and gobble at them. They take off running, but they'll be back.

This morning I gobbled at them from the hobby room and they just gobbled right back and the male just kept pecking at the window. I had to go up to the window to spook them a little. Then I had to go and open the door to the backyard to get them to really back off. This afternoon the sound was really freaking out our kitten. She is normally fearless, but she couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from or what it was. And they peck the window pretty hard. We have had to close the screen door on the basement door or they peck at the door.

I guess we all have our problems to bear. :smile:

were they part of this gang? :)

around here the big pest is wild pigs...they can really tear up land, destroy crops. a buddy of mine bought a thermal scope and is working on thinning them out, but they reproduce so quickly, I'm not sure he is making much of a dent in the problem!

vlcsnap-00003.jpg

vlcsnap-00002.jpg

were they part of this gang? :)

around here the big pest is wild pigs...they can really tear up land, destroy crops. a buddy of mine bought a thermal scope and is working on thinning them out, but they reproduce so quickly, I'm not sure he is making much of a dent in the problem!

re: wild turkeys, I got a couple of nasty scratches on the hood of my car from some...where I work is over run with a bunch, and a couple were on the hood of my car when I was done for the day. Their talons are pretty impressive!

re: wild pigs, just looked this up:
https://wildpiginfo.msstate.edu/history-wild-pigs.html

We had a bunch in our area a couple years back, I haven't seen any recently. They make quite a mess when they get hit on the highway, that is for sure!

I keep hoping I'll see a pig in the back yard, but not yet. We have a herd of about a dozen deer that live just to the side of me, just inside city limits. Never seem to see one of them in the yard either.... Though daughter spooked a fawn that was in the barn munching horse feed.
Used to enjoy hearing the coyotes, but heard someone 'thinning the pack' one night a few years back, not one since.

Best I get are snakes (water snakes, rat snakes, and a coral snake) & rabbits. I guess having 4 outdoor dogs doesn't lend itself to seeing wildlife......

Back