Eggtimer Quantum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Reaction score
Finished putting the Eggtimer Quantum together.
I hooked it up to a lipo, it beeped and WiFi connection was successful = happiness :)

I haven't a clue as to why I purchased it. Maybe the 30$ price tag sold me or maybe it was WiFi part that intrigued me.
Nonetheless, it was a real fun build. Clean design all around (but with some minor quirks).

First two pictures show all the surface mounted parts soldered to the PCB.
Last two pictures show the completed altimeter.

Eggtimer_Quantum.jpg

I'm interested in the PWM servo support the site says these have. Did it come with any instructions on this at all?

Looks like a nice job with the soldering there Leo. :clap: I am guessing you have done some of that SMT soldering before?

I have bought a range of Egg stuff, built and tested it. Still haven't flown it! Given some away to get other people into electronic deploy also.

BTW, I would suggest you put some elephant snot (silicone RTV, NEUTRAL CURE ONLY!!!) between the upright transistors and the connector block. Doesn't need a solid fill, just enough to stop them moving under boost and ejection forces, which can result in the legs fracturing at the PCB level. I think I glued the buzzer down with CA glue too.

Thanks for the compliment!

This actually is my first real try soldering SMT parts. It was also my first time using a heat gun which I specifically purchased for this project. The rest was done with a soldering iron. I must say that I'm extremely happy with the results.

Thanks for the tips! I will consider them.

Interesting that you used a heat gun for the assembly. I assume you use solder paste for the assembly then? You seem to have got the quantity of solder right from what I can see in the pics.

Note that I have updated my earlier post to make sure that you use neutral-cure RTV for bracing those high components. Forgot to add that to my earlier post :( .

Yes, I used solder paste for the SMT parts, normal solder with flux for the rest.

Back