Rocket stand Ebay expensive price?????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
I wonder if that guy who is selling it is on here. I built one years ago for almost nothing.

Is this a joke????? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-Rock...475650?hash=item1a44ec2242:g:T4EAAOSwnMBai3B-

Can't you just go down to Lowes and get these parts? $22.37????? plus $14.89 shipping???? Would anyone actually bite???

Things are only worth what someone is willing to pay.

I have not priced the stuff but seems few fittings and pipe would not cost $22.37

You could build 2 of those for about $12 at home depot or Lowe's.

Sure that covers the materials, but what about the labour? Certainly you place a value on your time so it should make sense that they be reimbursed for theirs.

My view is the opposite. Unless they are moving large quantities, I can't see how they hope to make any money.

Sure that covers the materials, but what about the labour? Certainly you place a value on your time so it should make sense that they be reimbursed for theirs.

My view is the opposite. Unless they are moving large quantities, I can't see how they hope to make any money.

I just figured it on home depot site. I can buy the parts for around 11 bucks. If you break it down to per hour that means he is charging 11-12 bucks an hr to put it together if it takes an hour. Just saying people on here who are building rockets and such I think have the competence to go down to the hardware store and buy parts and put it together for the fraction of the price. Also, forgetting about shipping too.

He can charge that and more power to him, but a sucker is born everyday. I think the resourceful rocket guy can build it from scratch.

With a pvc cutter. I can measure, cut and assemble this in 5 minutes... Sure, they should be reimbursed for their time. But their shipping costs are more than material and labor.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

With a pvc cutter. I can measure, cut and assemble this in 5 minutes... Sure, they should be reimbursed for their time. But their shipping costs are more than material and labor.

Now if the guy was charging this price for a rocket rack that held 5 different rockets and the same time in the field then the price would be great.

Now if the guy was charging this price for a rocket rack that held 5 different rockets and the same time in the field then the price would be great.
That would only be $5 more in parts. Break it down in half for transport if needed.

Now I think I'm going to build one. Leftover sprinkle repair job already gives me half to materials. downloadfile.jpg

Bam! There's an idea. Start selling modular rocket rack parts.

Elbows and tubes drilled for 3/16 clevis pins. Snap and go!

Bam! There's an idea. Start selling modular rocket rack parts.

Elbows and tubes drilled for 3/16 clevis pins. Snap and go!
PVC fits so tight together as is, I'm not sure it would need to be pinned. And having a middle section means you could keep the pipe lengths to ? 24" for easy shipping.

PVC fits so tight together as is, I'm not sure it would need to be pinned. And having a middle section means you could keep the pipe lengths to ? 24" for easy shipping.

I've seen both PVC structures and Rockets experience ID-10t errors at various times. Pins are just for security. Optional attachment? Lol

I've seen both PVC structures and Rockets experience ID-10t errors at various times. Pins are just for security. Optional attachment? Lol
Agreed.
As always, when the ID-10t form isn't filled out correctly, things will go wrong...

I looked into building and selling these..
Making them really nice..
Those fittings are more expensive then I thought..
I thought a 3/4" PVC X was less than a buck..
It isn't..
Then the black foam self adhesive peel and stick pipe wraps for cushioning..
By the time I was done with mine I was astounded at how much it cost me..

Teddy

Properly costed, the cost of the glue and the tools (wear & tear; amortized of XX completed kits) needs to also be factored in. Don't forget the NRE of the design work, the book keeping, time spent putting the sale on Ebay, Ebay's percentage, box, label, tape, etc.. it all does add up in the end..

Could you build it for cheaper? Yeah, you could. Some can't though.. Some haven't the foggiest idea of where to start, how toe put it together, how to cut, glue, place the parts.. (unless it's a kit with pictures & instructions) And, factor in your time to go to & from the store, the gas, the 'cost per mile' on your car to get to & from the store, etc.. A lot of which we don't even consider..

Properly costed, the cost of the glue and the tools (wear & tear; amortized of XX completed kits) needs to also be factored in. Don't forget the NRE of the design work, the book keeping, time spent putting the sale on Ebay, Ebay's percentage, box, label, tape, etc.. it all does add up in the end..

Could you build it for cheaper? Yeah, you could. Some can't though.. Some haven't the foggiest idea of where to start, how toe put it together, how to cut, glue, place the parts.. (unless it's a kit with pictures & instructions) And, factor in your time to go to & from the store, the gas, the 'cost per mile' on your car to get to & from the store, etc.. A lot of which we don't even consider..

some truths.

He can charge that and more power to him, but a sucker is born everyday. I think the resourceful rocket guy can build it from scratch.

I don't disagree with you (mostly) that the average rocketry hobbyist should be able to put one of these together. But then again there is a convenience factor that some may just want to purchase it...so their may even be a limited market for it.

Here is a test for those who think its overpriced, go ahead and try to manufacture and sell one yourself.

Could you build it for cheaper? Yeah, you could. Some can't though.. Some haven't the foggiest idea of where to start, how to put it together, how to cut, glue, place the parts.. (unless it's a kit with pictures & instructions) And, factor in your time to go to & from the store, the gas, the 'cost per mile' on your car to get to & from the store, etc.. A lot of which we don't even consider..

All very good points. Another one to add is the customer service side of the pre/post-sale. The labour does not stop and start with the manufacturing and there are likely more hidden costs involved. I would guess that if you factored everything in that this person is making almost nothing or even losing money. But they likely don't recognize this because they either have a lack of understanding of the true cost of business or they are just a young kid trying to get some extra pocket money.

Either way I applaud their entrepreneurial spirit.

I don't disagree with you (mostly) that the average rocketry hobbyist should be able to put one of these together. But then again there is a convenience factor that some may just want to purchase it...so their may even be a limited market for it.

Here is a test for those who think its overpriced, go ahead and try to manufacture and sell one yourself.

All very good points. Another one to add is the customer service side of the pre/post-sale. The labour does not stop and start with the manufacturing and there are likely more hidden costs involved. I would guess that if you factored everything in that this person is making almost nothing or even losing money. But they likely don't recognize this because they either have a lack of understanding of the true cost of business or they are just a young kid trying to get some extra pocket money.

Either way I applaud their entrepreneurial spirit.

true. Now if you could order lets say enough parts to do 100 stands then you could get all those parts for almost nothing ordering in bulk. Get a pvc cutter and wallah you could make them fast and probably sell them cheaper. If you could let say make one for 6 bucks then if you could put together 10 in an hr then if you could sell them for 15 bucks, that would be successful. That would be your making 90 bucks an hr. But the fact is could you sell all 100.

That is the basis of capitalism. Can you make it and sell it cheaper than the next guy and still make it worth your while?

First of all what are you calling a PVC cutter, one of those cheap plier and blade style, a pvc saw or something else? The seller in this case is using from the sounds of it a power miter saw, which does a very nice job of cutting PVC pipe (and many rocket tube materials too). So add tooling into the project as well. The cheap PVC cutters do not do a quality of cut near good enough for product that you intend to sell.

Shouldn't we take a moment to acknowledge the most interesting thing in that ebay posting is the sweet, stretched Leviathan?

I say, more power to the guy for trying to make a few bucks. Maybe they'll sell, maybe not.

When I was laid off during the big recession, I made some money by assembling RC airplanes for clients. Sure they were ARF kits, super simple to build, but there was still a market of people who were willing to pay me to do that. So I've got no problem with someone trying to find a market and make a few bucks.

I've toyed with the idea of putting a shingle outside Ikea:

"Will assemble your book case (or whatever) for $20*

*price can vary according to model)"

I could probably make a killing!!

Maybe when I retire!

Shouldn't we take a moment to acknowledge the most interesting thing in that ebay posting is the sweet, stretched Leviathan?

I was thinking the same thing... That rocket looked nice... It didn't hurt to have a photo of Wizard Island in the background.

dr wogz, I live a few miles from a Ikea in the Minneapolis area and there are a few people that make their living doing just that. Dont't know if they have some sort of relationship with Ikea or are total'y independent, but they seem to make a living at it.

Some people make their living assembling the large wooden swing set's that sell for a couple of thousand dollars. I see people that do nothing but assemble the storage shed kits that the home improvement stores sell.

Not everyone has the skills, tools, or time to do such jobs. I think time is a big one, along with people don't seem to be as handy as they once were. Check it out. If you have the time you could do it part time for some extra money.

here in Montreal, I've seen a few trucks driving around with "Rent a husband" on the side.. I assume assembling furniture is part to their job description, as with simple plumbing repairs, gutter cleaning, tire & oil changes, room painting, etc.. "manly "jobs! :D

I see that and I think, meh, it's a kit. There are a bunch of people on this forum who LOVE kits in all sizes and others who rarely, if ever buy a kit because, just as was noted here, they can buy the tubes and the balsa and the nosecones and so on, and build whatever they want for half the price of a kit. But others want to just cut to the chase and build the rocket. They don't WANT to buy the parts separately and they are willing to pay a price for someone else to do it for them. Same thing here. As long as the vendor meets a need and the buyers are willing to pay for his services, more power to him.

I see that and I think, meh, it's a kit. There are a bunch of people on this forum who LOVE kits in all sizes and others who rarely, if ever buy a kit because, just as was noted here, they can buy the tubes and the balsa and the nosecones and so on, and build whatever they want for half the price of a kit. But others want to just cut to the chase and build the rocket. They don't WANT to buy the parts separately and they are willing to pay a price for someone else to do it for them. Same thing here. As long as the vendor meets a need and the buyers are willing to pay for his services, more power to him.

Beat me to it. I understand these posts complaining about what someone on Ebay is charging. It's like food. I can buy some chicken parts, flour, oil and spices and fry it up for dinner pretty cheap. But sometimes I want to sit in a restaurant and be served, and it costs three times as much, plus tip. No one is being ripped off. If someone wants it, he'll buy it. If not, he won't.

I think if it was painted to look more like a display stand then just some PVC it would make it way more reasonable.

Back