Vacuum bagging question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REK

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My former high school teacher called me over to help him out with making a flat carbon sheet under vacuum, now that he ordered a vacuum pump.

I was able to get sucessfull vacuum after finding the air leak culprit and left it as such. After returning over the weekend, the hose that was attached to the bag via the gummy tape, appeared to have been pulled out.

My former high school teacher believes it is due to the pressure, but I am not convinced. To those who have done this, have you ever experienced anything like this? Sorry I dont have a picture.

Thank you

Composite Addict

Vacuum will pull a hose in, not out, due to the pressure differential to the outside atmosphere. I'd check with cleaning crews...

Gerald

Vacuum will pull a hose in, not out, due to the pressure differential to the outside atmosphere. I'd check with cleaning crews...

Gerald

Thanks Gerald,

Do you think its a possibility that due to the hose being thick and not that flexible, in the wrong position it will tend to pull away. Do you think the hose managed to pull away and stretch apart the gum tape?

Composite Addict

Hose gets hot and shrinks or the bag pulls away from the taped tube under vacuum. Make sure to put a path of breather material for the hose, on top of it too facing the bag.

Back