Madcow?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully, we don't need negativity toward the few vendors we've got left.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Rocketry Forum mobile app
i hear ya. Although anyone who frequents these forums knows that Madcow is a reputable place and that certain posters tend to not be acurate. It’s the random person who finds this thread researching Madcow and doesn’t know that certain posters on this forum don’t really know what they are posting about and that the gripes they have aren’t legit gripes and may come away thinking thoughts they should not think.

Wait.... That's the second time you said you sanded for a week to make it fit. If I sanded for a day, there wouldn't be a tube left.

Stop sanding with 2000 grit and delicate hand.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

We thought we were gonna use a 3 and 4cm one off aluminum tube from prelim design first semester, so we ran with those aluminum OD specs when Madcow didn't say sh*t in reasonable time. Then we sanded half a tube wall off. Long story bro. Machinist told us he could do the tube diameters we bought 6061T6 round bar like 6ft. Guy cuts into bar stock and yelled sh*t the boring depth is too low, so we went to CF. and the school put us in a non ventilated room. They called a Clean crew cuz we got CF dust everywhere and OSHA crap.... And the Janitors were like uh what's the black dust and I was all don't worry. We were wearing paint respirators indoors. Then we told school f--- itself and did everything off campus in ventilated place not some stupid assigned room. Academia wants a bunch of bullcrap design matrix charts. They don't let you just scratch build a rocket no that's too easy. You had to prove each design decision in some nonsense theory method.

On second design rocket everything fit by design and we had experience not to screw up part tolerances and tube diameters and we ordered from people that knew their sh*t. How much more you wanna know?

Also I did actiually buy two Madcow kits this week. The 3” Avalanche LDRS limited edition and the recently back in stock 4” Nike Smoke with the molded fins. I think I got the last of the molded fin version because it was out of stock after I ordered it. These will be my fourth and fifth Madcow kits after I got two from my secret Santa this year and saw how nice their kits were.

Madcow eventually fixed the lack of data on the website. I'm cool with them but any time I bring up stuff i get hammered with seemingly twenty or more questions or a thread becomes a train wreck.

We thought we were gonna use a 3 and 4cm one off aluminum tube from prelim design first semester, so we ran with those aluminum OD specs when Madcow didn't say sh*t in reasonable time. Then we sanded half a tube wall off. Long story bro. Machinist told us he could do the tube diameters we bought 6061T6 round bar like 6ft. Guy cuts into bar stock and yelled sh*t the boring depth is too low, so we went to CF. and the school put us in a non ventilated room. They called a Clean crew cuz we got CF dust everywhere and OSHA crap.... And the Janitors were like uh what's the black dust and I was all don't worry. We were wearing paint respirators indoors. Then we told school f--- itself and did everything off campus in ventilated place not some stupid assigned room. Academia wants a bunch of bullcrap design matrix charts. They don't let you just scratch build a rocket no that's too easy. You had to prove each design decision in some nonsense theory method.

On second design rocket everything fit by design and we had experience not to screw up part tolerances and tube diameters and we ordered from people that knew their sh*t. How much more you wanna know?
That unbelievable. How dare them make engineering students actually have to design and prove something.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Madcow eventually fixed the lack of data on the website. I'm cool with them but any time I bring up stuff i get hammered with seemingly twenty or more questions or a thread becomes a train wreck.
the data you wanted is irrelevant to the rocket hobbiest. They didn’t have a lack of data. They had all the data they everyone else wanted. Stop saying that Madcow had a lack of data becaise you want to make your self sound important by trying to stump a Hobby business about the diameter of a tube to the insignificant measurement for a Hobby.

I didn't have a outer tube diameter to specify an algebraic equation's radii. It's not even worth my time arguing. How's this? Design a nosecone then print one to custom specs and you too will learn exactly how relevant it is.

I didn't have a outer tube diameter to specify an algebraic equation's radii. It's not even worth my time arguing. How's this? Design a nosecone then print one to custom specs and you too will learn exactly how relevant it is.
If it was that critica I wouldn’t design Something around a part I don’t have. If I need those measurements so badly to be that accurate I would have thought ahead ordered the part measured it myself and then and only then designed the rest of the project. Your lack of forethought and planning isn’t madcows responsibility. Stop putting the blame on someone else.

When you deal with a senior design project get back to me. You don't have funding up front because of convoluted funding processes and reimbursements so all the purchases get spread out and screw up slack time in the design process. You don't have a clue what we went through.

When you deal with a senior design project get back to me. You don't have funding up front because of convoluted funding processes and reimbursements so all the purchases get spread out and screw up slack time in the design process. You don't have a clue what we went through.
how do you know what I do and do not know?

That sounds like a small taste of every engineering project ever. ;)

Since this is my first post I'll keep things low stress and high positivity. I just ordered my first high power rocket from Madcow. It's the limited edition Avalanche 3" fiberglass rocket. I did create an account through Madcow and had my questions answered in a timely manner. I'm not on a deadline or in a rush.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Since this is my first post I'll keep thing low stress and high positivity. I just ordered my first high power rocket from Madcow. It's the limited edition Avalanche 3" fiberglass rocket. I did create an account through Madcow and had my questions answered in a timely manner. I'm not on a deadline or in a rush.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you are not put off by some spirit discussion, most threads here don't get this far off tracks. I also ordered that same kit. eagerly anticipating its arrival

Welcome to the forum. I hope you are not put off by some spirit discussion, most threads here don't get this far off tracks. I also ordered that same kit. eagerly anticipating its arrival
Good! I hope you start a post on this! It will probably take me a while to get started due to work. As far as this post I applied the 10% rule as in 10% of people will never be happy.

Good! I hope you start a post on this! It will probably take me a while to get started due to work. As far as this post I applied the 10% rule as in 10% of people will never be happy.

Maybe I will start a post on it, you can start one on yours too. :wink: it might take me a while to get started on it too. the not needing paint part was pretty appealing to me, makes this one a hopefully quick to the finish build. I have a ton of unfinished and unstarted rocket builds that need to be built.

Last edited:
Since this is my first post I'll keep things low stress and high positivity. I just ordered my first high power rocket from Madcow. It's the limited edition Avalanche 3" fiberglass rocket. I did create an account through Madcow and had my questions answered in a timely manner. I'm not on a deadline or in a rush.

Welcome! I joined the limited edition Avalanche club too. I can't wait to build another rocket that doesn't need paint to look good!

141 post on Madcow - wow we are talkers - wonder if I wife’s knew we could talk so much.

Madcow - I’ve had 6 dealings with Mike all very good even when I had an issue. He got back with me in a reasonable time frame and took care of everything. Hobby Rocketry is just that - a hobby . Patience is needed sometimes for resolutions. We shouldn’t be in a big hurry here.

So I stand up for Madcow as a good reputable company. There are many others too.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

To paraphrase Mr. T (look him up), "I pity the fool that hires you after you graduate". You are getting a small taste of the real world; a very small taste. If you can't handle this then you really don't want to get a job as an engineer. Your days will be filled with all of the bullcrap you just described in this post and the one about making a mess in the classroom. And your dismissal of the janitor's concerns is another huge red flag. They didn't know what that stuff was; have some respect for the people that have to clean up your messes. They work hard and don't get paid much to do a thankless job. And your complete disregard for rules and regulations is another red flag. Rules and regulations weren't created to make your life difficult. They are there because someone in the past did something stupid or illegal and now everyone has to jump through hoops to get things done. Learn to live with it because that is life.

The lack of respect is amazing honestly.

It ain't your house.

You're screwing with people's health.

You're screwing with people's businesses.

And you could care less.

All this over a tube.

That's horrible.

Ahahahahha!!!

Will a mod please delete this thread and be done with this troll.

This kid is unbelievable.

This thread makes me want to go to Madcow and splurge on some goodies. Patiently crossing my fingers and doing a rain dance that the rumors of them taking over the Polecat line come true. Now, off to work planning the cardboard Tomach build for an I205 shot.

The number of times I've designed & re-designed a part to fit, an assembly to fit.. (Gotta love a good CAD program & a 3D printer!!)

the few times we get called into the bosses office because a drawing was off, and the 150 parts that came in were scrapped..

The few times, with the entire eng department signing off on a design, and the $$$K in prototype parts & tooling come in, only to find we overlooked a small, but important aspect: How do you get your hand or tool in there to assemble / fix it?!

The few times, getting specs out of a catalog, and they're wrong / off, or just not there.. or spec'ing a part in, only to find out it's no longer available..

Expecting ±0.010" on an assembly over 6' and with 17 pieces..

We measured it when we got the damn tubes after we had already designed components to fit. We spent a week of sanding because company didn't know the tube diameter they actually sold.

Just a week sanding? what kind of rocketeer are you?

Guys, this kid's about to need a therapist and some meds....

Think it's time to lay off. He's using *stars* for words.

I'm pretty sure his therapist has to pop xanax and drink a bottle of wine every time he sees him.
As for stars, I'm guessing he was given a gold one every time he tied his shoes.

dysfunctiondemotivator.jpeg

That sounds like a small taste of every engineering project ever. ;)

Any project, in any job, ever.

Ahahahahha!!!

Will a mod please delete this thread and be done with this troll.

This kid is unbelievable.

Sadly, I also don't think he's trolling. I think he's dead serious. I just hope he keeps posting when he gets out of school. The "they didn't hire me!" rants are going to be epic.

Back