• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

30ft Professional Weather balloons [1200g latex | 4.6 lb Payload]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amogha

Reaction score
I have 3 unopened Weather Balloons for sale!
Asking $80 for each or $210 if you want to buy all three! (You can usually buy them online for around $115 each)

Weather Balloon Specs:

• Diameter at release: 7 ft (2.13 m)
  • Diameter at burst altitude: 30 ft (9.14 m)
  • Nominal Lift: 7.6 lb (3,450 g)
  • ​Suggested payload: 4.6 lb (2,086 g)
  • Maximum Lift: 15 lb (6,800 g)
  • Burst altitude: 115,000 ft (35,000 m)
  • Volume at release: 180 cu ft (5.09 cu m)
  • Neck diameter: 3.3 in (8.4 cm)
  • Neck length: 9 in (22.86 cm)
  • Ascent rate: /min (5 m/s), (potential for up to /min (10 m/s)
  • Material: Latex Rubber
WeatherBalloon_1.jpgWeatherBalloon_2.jpgWeatherBalloon_3.jpgWeatherBalloon_4.jpgWeatherBalloon_5.jpg

I bought them from: https://www.aetherandbeyond.com/mai...professional-weather-balloon-1200g-white.html

I have launched dozens of these. "Aether & Beyond" seems to be a good source to buy from! Photos from a flight:
WeatherBalloon_9.jpgWeatherBalloon_8.jpgWeatherBalloon_7.jpgWeatherBalloon_6.jpg
Ad astra per aspera.
-Amogha

P.S. I will be posting a "Moving-Sale" / "Yard-Sale" next! (HPR motor reloads, Electronics, hardware and much more!) I will probably combine items together and make it into a three-part post next :)

Stupid question but do you get the camera/payload back when it bursts or is it untrackable? I’m assuming you get it back somehow or you wouldn’t have photos unless it communicates from way up. These would be lots of fun for me to play with my son who is learning about space now. Any insight would be appreciated as I’ve never seen one of these before and have no idea how they operate other than you fill them up and they float up until they pop. What altitude to they pop at typically?

Last edited:
Yes! We do get the payload back. (Experiments, instruments, radios, cameras and recovery system).
The recovery system is fairly simple- A parachute and a GPS tracker (or two). We usually recover everything from the payload to what is left of the burst balloon- still attached to the main tether line :)

-Amogha

Stupid question but do you get the camera/payload back when it bursts or is it untrackable? I’m assuming you get it back somehow or you wouldn’t have photos unless it communicates from way up. These would be lots of fun for me to play with my son who is learning about space now. Any insight would be appreciated as I’ve never seen one of these before and have no idea how they operate other than you fill them up and they float up until they pop. What altitude to they pop at typically?

APRS GPS trackers on the 2 meter Ham radio band. If a group uses the national 144.390 Mhz tracking frequency, there are numerous ground station, digipeaters/IGATES that can pipe the information to the internet. If the Flyers lose the signal on their local receiving station, one simply goes to the internet on their cell phone and can look the balloons call sign up on Google Maps aprs. There was a digipeater/IGATE 1200 feet away from my house with an antenna on a 100-foot Tower. It could pick up a balloon directly at a hundred thousand feet that was greater than 375 Mi away from my location. The only thing dicey about flying weather balloons is if the batteries freeze at altitude and one loses power to the tracking units or as in rocketry if the payload lands in an inaccessible area.

Some party balloons with micro aprs GPS trackers on them that had solar panels and batteries, have flown around the world 5 times over 60 days. The mylar balloons are more resistant to UV degradation I believe. A 2 meter band BeeLine GPS tracker made it from California to Africa a few years back. Kurt

Back