Why are Boeing 737 engine intakes flattened along the bottom edge?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the 737 airframe. Seems like it is the DC-3 of commercial passenger jets.

Greg

Ah....that certainly is plausible. I was absorbed in 757 and then B-2 systems work during the time the 737-300 was being done so was unaware of major aero changes like that. I only got involved on 737 at the beginning of the Next Generation after I made it back to Renton following a stint on 777.

I will revise my mental "history of the 737 configuration". Thanks.

Added later: I remember seeing pictures of the -300 (in model form) with flutter booms on the wingtips but I figured that was due to the rather major effect of the larger, heavier and differently attached engines. I didn’t realize that the wing had been relofted as well. But they figured out how to do without that form of flutter ballast before the airplanes actually flew.

This makes me wish I still had access to the configuration document for the -300 as I’d want to read about this wing change. But of course that’s now not possible since I don’t work there anymore.....

I may still have my aerodynamics notes from back then. I can check my files if you like.

My understanding is that the classic had the virtually the same wing as the -200 (very slightly larger). It's not a supercritical wing. That wing came with the NGs.

The NGs main gear are slightly taller than the classics, allowing the the round inlet.

The MAX can't lengthen the gear anymore, it would become problematical (unstable) in certain ground situations and would not fit in the fuselage . Thats the reason Boeing could not stretch the airframe beyond the -900 and why the MAX 10 needs the trailing link gear.

I still cant find any real descriptions/photos of the MAX 10 gear. I'm very interested in how Boeing solves this issue.

Mark,

Your comments on the wing are more consistent with what I thought I knew.

On the MAX only the nose gear was lengthened (and making that work in that tight lower 41 section was a trick I can tell you!) The mains are (save for the -10) just beefed-up-where-needed NG mains. I want to see what the -10 gear really looks like as well. Something changed right after I retired to make the integration of the main gear easier (considering what's in that wheel well, when I left it was going to be quite the project). But I don't know what was changed to avoid getting into all the stuff that's on and near the rear spar (forward wall of the main wheel well) such as aileron actuation, main hydraulic reservoirs, and more.

Latest posts

Back