Elmer's clear glue?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klatuso

Reaction score
I saw some Elmer's clear glue and am thinking this might work nicely for fillets on a low power rocket or watered down to harden my balsa fins. Any thoughts on this glue?

I have not seen the before so I couldn't comment on it but I just use TB II since it is already out, does the job very well and will be painted over anyway. Are there specific reasons for considering the Elmer's clear?

Seems to run thin. Tried it for fillets and it went on well. Just not sure how strong it is. Gives more time to set up over wood glue.

There's no real reason for an Elmer's Clear Glue.
Their (new "stronger formula") glue comes out milky white and dries clear.
The new formula Elmer's is thinner and does run more than the original formula.
I have a feeling they just added more water into the mix to save a few pennies per bottle.

I've never used it but two things bother me about it's possible utility for rocket building:

1. the label prominently displays the words "School Glue" and "washable" which makes me question the strength of the bond.

2. a quick Google brings up recipes for Slime using this stuff. 'Nuff said. :)

I think you might be the pioneer here so maybe you can report back to the forum on the results.

I just don't think there's any reason to use this over the other available alternatives. And as samb said, anything specifically labeled "School Glue" and "washable" is not optimized for strength.

"School glue" is design mainly to stick paper, and the odd few other "poruous" things (felt, yarn, macaroni, popsicle sticks, etc..) found in an elementary school. It's also designed to be non-toxic (safe to eat) and washable due to it being spilt on clothes.

NAR's L2 test actually has this as a question: "Which glue will most likely soften if damp or wet?"

With all that, I wouldn't use it.

Also, if used for fillets, you typically apply the fillet before painting, so the need for it to be clear is pretty much 'moot'.

a quick Google brings up recipes for Slime using this stuff. 'Nuff said. :)

Slime-rocket anyone?
Srocket?
Slicket?

Might appeal to a brand new audience in a hurry!

a

P.S.: My second grader has been obsessed with slime for the past few months. If anyone finds a way to combine sliming with rocketry, I'll buy that person a LOT of beers...

IDK, Klatuso may have stumbled on to the next great advancement in fin fillet technology. Some "secret sauce" that the rest of us geniuses dismissed because of labels. I look forward to a report. :)

Slime-rocket anyone?
Srocket?
Slicket?

Might appeal to a brand new audience in a hurry!

a

P.S.: My second grader has been obsessed with slime for the past few months. If anyone finds a way to combine sliming with rocketry, I'll buy that person a LOT of beers...

picture this with Green decal and "drip" shaped green fins :)

I am using Elmer's clear glue for a semroc Orbital Transport. Not too powerful LPR engines. I will certainly let us know how it holds up. I too am skeptical and we'll see what happens. What I like putting this multi-winged rocket together is its longer setting time, easiness to apply fillets and, how shall I say? Liquidity? I can play with it for a clean application. Perhaps that is more the clarity of the glue itself for why I like it. But we must in the end fly these rockets. We don't build them to sit on a stand like other modelers. Our models serve a higher purpose.

Ultimately, when I launch it that is the test. Now I am about half way through my construction and taking my time, ready to prime the primary rocket winged booster. for that major booster part I need to add a bit of fillet on the lower wing and then prime and sand and go through the ritual of depending on how many layers we are satisfied with.

Then the glider and repeat. So, as I have learned: take your time and smaller rockets are often more complicated than larger rockets.

BTW, I live, build and launch in New Mexico. Unlike Quebec or other parts of the continent, we are profoundly dry. I am not worried about rain before during construction, or launch for moisture. I live as dry as can be.

Back