Johnny Lightning Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenstarr

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's probably been a couple years since I've done a scratch build thread so here we go!
I came up with this rocket about a year ago and did some work on motor mount assembly, fins, and body until we moved. You can tell I was definitely inspired by the Little Bucky Jones rocket from PemTech but other than a very similar look, this is different. I'm doing a 4 motor cluster. Main motor is 38mm. The other 3 motors (24mm) are mainly for smoke and effect.
1519512586399.jpg

You may notice the 3 smaller motor tubes are canted. As a matter of practicality and so they are less likely to impinge upon the center mount, that is why. I originally wanted to use a 54mm retainer on the center tube more like my drawing but that wasn't practical. Way back in the late 1900's there was a computer game called Full Throttle. The main characters motorcycle had exhaust pipes sticking out all over the back. I almost did something similar but I decided it was hard enough already.

I like it! Very cool sci-fi design, and the cluster mount is great!

One question though — do you think the exhaust from the forward mounted 24mm motors might toast the center motor mount a bit? I wonder if there would be a way to use some heat resistant aluminum tape in the design as a shield for the center mount.

What motors and propellant types do you envision for the cluster?

I like it! Very cool sci-fi design, and the cluster mount is great!

One question though — do you think the exhaust from the forward mounted 24mm motors might toast the center motor mount a bit? I wonder if there would be a way to use some heat resistant aluminum tape in the design as a shield for the center mount.

What motors and propellant types do you envision for the cluster?

I am a bit concerned about the toaster effect however the outboard motors will be black powder E9's. At least that's what I'm planning. Lots of smoke, barely any thrust. The 38mm center motor will do the actual work. I don't know what motor yet but I'm thinking of a skidmark or something with gnarly smoke and spark. If I can't have spark due to fire hazard, I'll go with a black jack or something similar.

I am a bit concerned about the toaster effect however the outboard motors will be black powder E9's. At least that's what I'm planning. Lots of smoke, barely any thrust. The 38mm center motor will do the actual work. I don't know what motor yet but I'm thinking of a skidmark or something with gnarly smoke and spark. If I can't have spark due to fire hazard, I'll go with a black jack or something similar.

Sounds like a cool flight. I’ve seen some great cluster flights with a mixture of motors. Sometimes a really bright motor, like a redline or something similar, looks cool surrounded by smoky outboards.

I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of the build, and the finishing details! I’m going to start soon on my own sci-fi style build, so I’m keeping my eye out for ideas.

What are are you making the pointy fins out of? I’m worried about them on my own build. Mine are plywood, which I will probably fiberglass to protect the tips.

Fins are fiberglass covered foam board. If it wasn't for the pointiness, they would be quite rigid. 1519589160972.jpg

The cockpit canopy is balsa, super glue, and body putty 1519589188499.jpg1519589202752.jpg

Here's a teaser of what it will look like in a few more days. 1519589220614.jpg

Got the fins almost ready to go. Took an awful long time! All I did was put balsa around the leading edges to make a nice fat radius. 1520194729274.jpg1520194752137.jpg1520194764212.jpg
I will used a little hand saw to make a bunch of kerfs. I'll saturate with CA to strengthen the balsa

Make sure you use a nice, big parachute on that one. Don't want to break off those fin tips!

That is super-cool. The copper paint was an excellent choice.

Reeaaaallllllly nice! Someone on the forum was looking for a good copper paint. Can you specify your primer and paint choices?

That was me looking for copper paint for my Nike project. The coper looks nice on your rocket. I like the looks of Johnny Lightning. Does it have a name?

-Bob

I painted my steampunked executioner with a good copper paint a few days ago. It was Rustoleum Bright Coat Metallic Finish. Actually that was the only 'copper' color available at the local big box.
The lid is a really bright copper, was happy that that actual paint came out a little darker

Attachments

• IMG_20181030_082933084.jpg
    IMG_20181030_082933084.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 83
I think it's actually really finally finished! Hopefully I fly it this fall or next year. No hellfire 2019 launch for me (I'm baptizing my sweet little girl this weekend!) Trees grow faster than this build has gone. I put on the final decoration AND rail buttons in the last couple of weeks. Even gave it a clear coat! 20190731_220218.jpeg20190731_220206.jpeg20190731_220250.jpeg20190731_220335.jpeg

Back