Fountain Pen Users?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used them to write letters home while I was contracting in Afghanistan. Real letters are a lost art and more sentimental than a damn email. Lamy has some very nice affordable models but my favorite is my Namiki Falcon. If you want an absolutely beautiful blue ink, get noodlers Bay State blue! That ink can’t be mixed with other inks so dedicate a pen just to that ink.

I used them to write letters home while I was contracting in Afghanistan. Real letters are a lost art and more sentimental than a damn email. Lamy has some very nice affordable models but my favorite is my Namiki Falcon. If you want an absolutely beautiful blue ink, get noodlers Bay State blue! That ink can’t be mixed with other inks so dedicate a pen just to that ink.

I would get Baystate Blue, but I already have enough ink to last me through high school. And too many pens.
Is the appeal of the Falcon to you in the flex?

I made one of those for my Russian friend. Russians like fountain pens for writing in Cyrillic.

I would get Baystate Blue, but I already have enough ink to last me through high school. And too many pens.
Is the appeal of the Falcon to you in the flex?

The Falcon just seems to “flow” along the paper. The flex was something I had a hard time fighting with, cause I tend to be heavy handed. I really wish I had bought the fine tip, with the flexing being so easy I tend to flow too much ink.

Lots of fountain pen users here in China... Makes for good looking characters. Chinese penmanship is really quite good. I've only got one student that has really bad handwriting, and one teacher with even worse handwriting (regrettably that teacher is myself). Thanks to pens being left behind on my desk and not reclaimed, I'm now a user of them as well.

How many of you here have ever had a shirt ruined by a leaky pen in the pocket? Remember old school desks with the ink bottle holder/hole? I love the way it looks when written by someone with beautiful handwriting.

There is no pen in the world that could make my handwriting look good. And if I had a fountain pen, I’d be covered in ink. They seem very cool in a way, but not for me.

I was presented with a 23k gold Targa when I turned 21.
It has only been used to sign contracts over the years, so still in perfect condition in original box. Plus occasional letter here & there.

I was in school when you learned to write with fountain pens....ball points were not prevalent/invented yet...LOL

Sheaffer_Targa_Fountain_Pen_14.jpg

It's like writing on Teflon.....so....smooooth.

Does anyone here use fountain pens?

Back in my consulting days, I used a Montblanc fountain pen - mostly because the people hiring me would have them in their shirt pockets.
It used to leak all over the place, and the reservoir was so big, the ink would precipitate out before I used it up.
It was eventually stolen by a roommate when I returned to grad school late in life.

Fountain pens are still commonly used in China. My wife is Chinese, and she recently ordered a bunch of fountain pens from Taobao.
These look like the ones she got, which are actually rather responsive. (Thick and thin line with pressure.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JZQL3CE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If you just look for Chinese Fountain Pens on Amazon, you will find many inexpensive choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several Chinese pens too. They flex okay, but it takes a lot of pressure and you can only get ~1 mm until it springs. Dip pens or fountain pens with dip pen nibs are ideal.
They’re good for tinkering, being cheap. It’s fairly easy to smooth and regrind nibs if you have some micro mesh.

Do I use a fountain pen? no.

Have I yes. and yes.

I've used the ones that are intended for writing, like papers, notes, letters to loved ones, etc. (They have the 'ball' on the end) but nothing 'fancy' (or more than $10!)

I've also used them for calligraphy, with the chisel type nibs. dip in ink, make a few strokes, dip again, etc.. the nibs cam in different sizes, and a few different shapes to get different strokes & lines.

I've also used them in art, what we called a "crow quill" pen (handle with pointy nib) to do somewhat morbid black ink / line drawings. The 'crow quill' was nice for cross hatching & scratching, as the line weights weren't' uniform.. (and if done right, would aloes lend a few 'artistic' blotches & spots on the artwork..)

I have several Chinese pens too. They flex okay, but it takes a lot of pressure and you can only get ~1 mm until it springs. Dip pens or fountain pens with dip pen nibs are ideal.
They’re good for tinkering, being cheap. It’s fairly easy to smooth and regrind nibs if you have some micro mesh.

I'm with you on dip pens! Not just an affectation. It's the way to go for calligraphy.

I'm a Pen Addict and looking to grab a fountain pen soon.
And when I say addict, I mean it...

Montblanc Miesterstuck 149:

20180704_062854.jpg

Buttery smooth. Writing with a fountain pen is different. You just let it glide over the paper with no pressure. I also gift a fountain pen to my nephews and nieces upon their graduations. Levenger.com and coloradopen.com are reputable among other sources.

I have a few. I'm a penaholic, and have had more. Total different feel with a fountain pen. You can feel the paper through the tip. Those blue pens are beautiful

I have a couple Zebra V-301 I like to use.
But for some reason (the ink from what I have read in reviews) likes to stop flowing.
I would love to get an old calligrapher pen with several tips.
Writing in Old English where the lines get thick and thin I think looks impressive.
Quake, I would be interested in having you make me one if you wanted.
Nothing fancy, plain wood would be fine.
Wish I would have kept my pen turning lathe and supplies now!

I have a couple Zebra V-301 I like to use.
But for some reason (the ink from what I have read in reviews) likes to stop flowing.
I would love to get an old calligrapher pen with several tips.
Writing in Old English where the lines get thick and thin I think looks impressive.
Quake, I would be interested in having you make me one if you wanted.
Nothing fancy, plain wood would be fine.
Wish I would have kept my pen turning lathe and supplies now!
You should head to a Meijer and pickup a Pilot Parallel... It would allow you to do that kind of writing. I have one with a 2.4mm tip and I've started dabbling in Old English font writing. I have lots of practice to go... My lines aren't straight.
If you like the Zebra, try a Pilot Metropolitan... The ink is far better (we've got a couple of both in our house now)
Side note... I'm looking to get rid of some of my starter pens now that I've got a few better pens.

I have used a fountain pen, but it has been since high school 20 years ago. I have never used a dip pen, just one with cartridges. I have been thinking about getting another one and teaching myself calligraphy to improve my penmanship.

Impressed with the link.
Rotring pencil, will take mine to the grave try and pry it from my dead hand .

I find fountain pens expensive, messy, and unresponsive. I occasionally do Spencerian script with a dip pen. It's calming and satisfying (but not very good when I do it...).

Back