Wildman DarkStar Jr Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor

Get your peanuts....
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This will be slow going, update wise.

I've been pondering the paint scheme. Although translating what's in my head to a paint program has never been easy for me, I think it's starting to get easier. Anyhoot, I became obsessed with the "Proper Font" for the name decal.
Not sure I like the paint, but I found some very kool fonts on the Net!

DSJ-Ad 01.png DSJ-Ad 02.png DSJ-Ad 03.png DSJ-Ad 04.png DSJ-Ad 05.png

I like the 1st and last fonts the most. I have to decide before the end of the month so I can use the Stickershock coupon that came with the DarkStar kit.

Paint wise, I wanted it to be different then what I've done before but, this first iteration it ended up being similar (in basic concept) to my Super Neon XL (Nicked named "Bomb Pop").

Well, that's all for now folks.

Enjoy.

#2 for me..

Stickershock has a 'DS Jr.' 'label' already. got one on mine..

Correct but I wanted this bird to be "different". Actually, I almost always want my projects to be non-standard. :cyclops:

I settled on #1, Font being Amsterdam Superstar, and contacted Mark at Stickershock. Even though the coupon was only intended for stock supply, Mark was kind enough to let me use it. And, he did a great job making sure my order would be flawless.

Thanks Mark & Marian.

This will be slow going, update wise.

I've been pondering the paint scheme. Although translating what's in my head to a paint program has never been easy for me, I think it's starting to get easier. Anyhoot, I became obsessed with the "Proper Font" for the name decal.
Not sure I like the paint, but I found some very kool fonts on the Net!

View attachment 339176 View attachment 339177 View attachment 339178 View attachment 339179 View attachment 339180

I like the 1st and last fonts the most. I have to decide before the end of the month so I can use the Stickershock coupon that came with the DarkStar kit.

Paint wise, I wanted it to be different then what I've done before but, this first iteration it ended up being similar (in basic concept) to my Super Neon XL (Nicked named "Bomb Pop").

Well, that's all for now folks.

Enjoy.

So are you painting the fins and the rest of the rocket is a decal wrap? Its going to be a very nice looking rocket.

So are you painting the fins and the rest of the rocket is a decal wrap? Its going to be a very nice looking rocket.

Nope, although a full wrap would be sweet.

My plan is to use rattle cans to spray the colors. To create the mottled effect (think cosmic nebula) in the colors, I've have to use various shaped cardboard masks, slightly elevated above the airframe, to rough in the mottling. Afterwards, I can lightly sand areas of the airframe to fade/blend the colors. I will probably need to remask and try to fog some of the colors by spraying slightly further away from the airframe. Then, more sanding, spray a light coat of clear, apply decals and then apply two more coats of clear to seal it all in.

This could end up an uber fail. But, if I don't try, I won't learn.

Time will tell.

So after much internal debate regarding the method of finishing that will be used once I get to that point, I've settled on using Rust-Oleum & Tamiya rattle cans. I would really like to try a full body wrap from Stickershock, but this paint scheme does not lend it's self well to matching up along the seam. Also considered using candy colors from Kustom Canz but the total cost for 5 colors was just too high.

Anyhoot, the pic below shows the RGB colors I used in OpenRocket (Left column), and the closet color matches (Right Column) I could find, except for the Red. The few close matches to the RGB Red just did not look right along side the Tamiya Orange.

DarkStar Jr. Colors (RGB vs. Final Picks).jpg

lol I totally forgot I had started this thread.....

Anyhoot, I have finally made some progress on this puppy.

DarkStar-Jr_MMT-Small.jpg

You have made it further along than I have with my Darkstar Jr I bought during last year's Black Friday sale! All I have so far is a nosecone bulkhead adapter from Lab Rat Rockery installed in the nosecone coupler.

You have made it further along than I have with my Darkstar Jr I bought during last year's Black Friday sale! All I have so far is a nosecone bulkhead adapter from Lab Rat Rockery installed in the nosecone coupler.

You will get there! I am thinking about getting the same item for my DSJ. But I might design a sled and see about getting it 3D printed.

Btw, I meant to add more to my previous post but was in a rush...

Here is true state of my progress
Recovery Anchor-Small.jpg

It's a recovery anchor point. It will sit about 18" up from the bottom of the airframe with the nut facing MMT. The cross is nested in the coupler and used Rocketpoxy to affix it in place.

I came up with this bit as I just don't like the idea of attaching the shock cord to the MMT. Sorry CJ....

An anchor like that is a good idea, it would make replacing the shock cord much easier if you ever had to.

If you do decide to get the Lab Rat nosecone bulkhead, just be aware it may be loose in the thin Wildman coupler. I ended up getting a length of coupler tubing from MadCow and using it instead for a perfect fit.

An anchor like that is a good idea, it would make replacing the shock cord much easier if you ever had to.
Yeppers, that be the idea.

....If you do decide to get the Lab Rat nosecone bulkhead, just be aware it may be loose in the thin Wildman coupler. I ended up getting a length of coupler tubing from MadCow and using it instead for a perfect fit.
Thx for the tip!

Update, more progress over the last few days!

Completed Recovery Anchor
DSJ_Completed Recovery Anchor-Small.jpg

Anchor installed (Top view looking down)
DSJ_Recovery Anchor Mounted-Small.jpg

Aft Rail Button mount
DSJ_Aft Rail Button Mount-Small.jpg

MMT Installed
DSJ_Recovery Anchor and MMT Installed-Small.jpg

And this evening I applied Aeropoxy to the back end of the aft CR and installed the GLR tailcone with JB Weld.

BTW, below is my idea for the overall layout.
DSJ_Layout-Small.jpg

Last edited:
Finished work on the nosecone tracker sled last night.

DSJ_NC AV Sled - Finished-01-Small.jpg
DSJ_NC AV Sled - Finished-02-Small.jpg
(Profile shot before sled completed)
DSJ_NC AV Sled - Profile-Small.jpg
And it goes like this...
DSJ_NC AV-Bay AssemblyTest-Small.jpg
DSJ_NC AV-Bay Components-Small.jpg
DSJ_NC Shoulder Block-Small.jpg
Now I am waiting on Ace Hardware some aluminum tubing. The tubing will be part of the threaded rod that connects the NC to the coupler. And that will complete my mostly tool-less AV sled.
DSJ_Coupler Blukhead Block-Small.jpg
DSJ_Coupler and Blukhead-Small.jpg

Is that a tracker inside a carbon fibre nose cone?

For what it's worth, I flew my DS Jr. this past weekend (H242), and I tried my new sled & set it up for true dual deploy. The drogue fired perfectly. But the main, while it fired, didn't pop the laundry. It came down from 1252' under a 24" chute. No damage..

For what it's worth, I flew my DS Jr. this past weekend (H242), and I tried my new sled & set it up for true dual deploy. The drogue fired perfectly. But the main, while it fired, didn't pop the laundry. It came down from 1252' under a 24" chute. No damage..

Glad to hear it survived but why did that happen?

Glad to hear it survived but why did that happen?
that's the right question!

1 of two things:
Either the delay charge wasn't packed tight enough, so there was no "bang", as opposed to just a fizzle. The charge did go off.
Or, not enough powder. The NC is snug, maybe a bit too snug. And it is held in place with 2 2-56 nylon screws.

Not to mention those tubes are tight to pack a 36" or larger chute in!

Doing a ground test is difficult in Canada, as black powder is hard to get.. (It's regulated here..) Gonna try again next month..

that's the right question!

1 of two things:
Either the delay charge wasn't packed tight enough, so there was no "bang", as opposed to just a fizzle. The charge did go off.
Or, not enough powder. The NC is snug, maybe a bit too snug. And it is held in place with 2 2-56 nylon screws.

Not to mention those tubes are tight to pack a 36" or larger chute in!

Doing a ground test is difficult in Canada, as black powder is hard to get.. (It's regulated here..) Gonna try again next month..

Ack! All governments are a pain in the backside.... Hope you can get the problem ironed out. Best of luck to you.

Dude, you've got mad skillz. Love the customizations.

Thank you.

Last night I completed the first set of internal fillets using the syringe injection method. Discovered that injecting epoxy is trickier then the pros around here make it look.

Last night I completed the first set of internal fillets using the syringe injection method. Discovered that injecting epoxy is trickier then the pros around here make it look.

That's probably a fair assesment, but by the time you've done your third set of injections, and certainly by the time you've done your second rocket, you'll be just as good at it as any other seasoned pro.

That's probably a fair assesment, but by the time you've done your third set of injections, and certainly by the time you've done your second rocket, you'll be just as good at it as any other seasoned pro.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure I will improve my technique with practice. And I should have included the fact that I am using Aeropoxy for the internal fillets.

Back