V2 "Stretched" 6" Dia. Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
img_3887_1.jpg

Had a 30" long, 6" dia. nosecone sitting around for eight years. Always liked the distinctive boattail shape of the V2 fin section. Got the idea of using that nosecone as a form to create the boattail sections. Put Saran Wrap on the nosecone, sprayed the wrap with Pam, laid some fiberglass over half of the nosecone. Cut the cured fiberglass into two. Repeated to create four boattail sections. Securely epoxied into place between the fins.

Rocket will be just over 7 feet tall. 4" dia Blue Tube for the fin section. 3/8" aircraft plywood for the fins- cut with hand saws. 6" dia. for the body tubes. 4" to 6" centering rings to tie the sections together. Dual deploy with piston ejection for the main chute. Will weight about 22 pounds without motor- weight added to the tip of the nosecone.

Found a paint scheme from WWII for the V2 called "ragged camouflage", which looks quite distinctive.

75mm motor mount- probably will use a small K Aerotech reload.

Mike Momenee
TRA 12430 L3

Love the paint job! What is the pyramid in the background?

That was my McDonnell Douglas Delta Clipper project for last year's Midwest Blast. I enjoy "off the beaten path" projects.
[video=youtube;lzy7ij27ZHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzy7ij27ZHc[/video]

View attachment 339170

Had a 30" long, 6" dia. nosecone sitting around for eight years. Always liked the distinctive boattail shape of the V2 fin section. Got the idea of using that nosecone as a form to create the boattail sections. Put Saran Wrap on the nosecone, sprayed the wrap with Pam, laid some fiberglass over half of the nosecone. Cut the cured fiberglass into two. Repeated to create four boattail sections. Securely epoxied into place between the fins.

Rocket will be just over 7 feet tall. 4" dia Blue Tube for the fin section. 3/8" aircraft plywood for the fins- cut with hand saws. 6" dia. for the body tubes. 4" to 6" centering rings to tie the sections together. Dual deploy with piston ejection for the main chute. Will weight about 22 pounds without motor- weight added to the tip of the nosecone.

Found a paint scheme from WWII for the V2 called "ragged camouflage", which looks quite distinctive.

75mm motor mount- probably will use a small K Aerotech reload.

Mike Momenee
TRA 12430 L3

I’m very impressed with your method of building a tailcone in petal like pieces.

Thanks Steve. Wasn't sure how well it would work, but the pieces are sturdy, and could be cut with scissors. Had to use some epoxy clay to start the fillets, as the tailcone-to-fin seal wasn't perfect. But pouring some epoxy after that step to create a smooth fillet worked great. It's fun to try new methods, and even more fun when they seem to work!

Mike Momenee
TRA 12430 L3

img_3898.jpgimg_3896.jpg

Finished the brush painting of the rocket. Used Frog Tape (yellow for freshly painted surfaces) for pretty clean edges between the colors. Attached a thrust plate to the 4" to 6" dia fin section, along with an Aero Pack motor retainer. I will install two dual deploy altimeters in the electronics bay section. 24" nomex drogue chute, and a 78" Crossfire main chute.

Rocket is just over 7 feet long, and about 22 pounds without motor.

The brown is a Dutch Boy Paint "Bauhaus Gold" 214-5DB, and the green is "Jolly Holly" 326-7DB. Both are flat paints. These were the closest matches I could make from the internet color scheme I found.

Mike Momenee
TRA 12430 L3

That was my McDonnell Douglas Delta Clipper project for last year's Midwest Blast. I enjoy "off the beaten path" projects.
[video=youtube;lzy7ij27ZHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzy7ij27ZHc[/video]

Excellent! Always been a fan of the DC-X.

Bob Clark

Back