Did I fry...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dipstick

Reaction score
My new eggfinder mini?

I was doing a power on test with a battery attached as you can see. When removing the battery, one small wire on the ground lead touched the solder on the diode. I saw a small puff of smoke and now I can't get it powered on.

Thoughts?gps.jpggps2.jpg

All electronic circuits require smoke to operate properly. If you released the supply of smoke, then the thing is likely done-for. :D

With that being said, you may have just popped the diode. I've popped a few in my day.

Mr Eggtimer will likely chime in, especially if you put "Eggtimer" or "Eggfinder" in the title. An email to him wouldn't hurt either, of course you know this. :)

If the magic smoke escaped from the diode then it should be an easy fix. I assume the tracks to/from the diode were sufficiently thick and didn't act like fuses.

To remove the diode you can heat one end with a soldering iron and then shake the solder off while it is liquid by turning the board upside down and tapping on the bench. Safety glasses please! Once one end is done you can repeat with the other and the diode should fall off.

Then you need a diode to replace it with. If you are not in too much of a hurry you can talk to Cris at Egg and he will send you a new part. You could buy something surface mount if they are available, or alternatively you can go to a local electronic shop and purchase something like a 1N4002 (or anything up to 1N4007), which has leads that you bend into shape (curl the legs around and trim), and solder it onto the PCB. Personally I would get the correct part if you are not in a hurry.

I agree with Mikey & OTT. It's probably just a popped diode that's now open circuit. Hopefully the rest of the board is fine.

I've replaced many components like this, usually with the luxury of tweezer soldering iron. However, without that I would either use fine solder wick (no wider than 2mm, preferably finer) and a fine point iron; or two fine point irons; or fine point iron and fine tweezers.

Not all SMD components are good candidates for solder wick as surface tension keeps solder under the leads, but with this relatively large diode, it might be OK. Use some flux on the wick from a flux pen.

Two fine point irons are the best bet. Heat both ends of the diode simultaneously and lift the diode away from the board.

If you only have one fine point iron, then by heating one end of the diode and carefully applying a little upward force with fine tweezers at that end you might be able to lift that end away from the pad. These diodes have wrap under type leads that will bend a little. Be careful not to apply too much force or you will tear the cold pad off the board.

You might also notice that there is a narrow gap under the diode. You could carefully place the point of a scalpel blade under the diode and apply a gentle twist as you melt the solder at one end of the diode.

All the best!

Most likely you just fried the diode. Send me an email and we'll see about replacing it.

Don't buy any aftermarket parts for it. Cris is amazing and will have you fixed up in a hurry. Unless your launching this Saturday and don't live in southern California. Lol

I know that Cris has already chimed in here on this, so this is for others that have or are going to get Eggtimer products. If you have a question or a problem, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS, email Cris first! He will get back to you quickly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I know that Cris has already chimed in here on this, so this is for others that have or are going to get Eggtimer products. If you have a question or a problem, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS, email Cris first! He will get back to you quickly.
Definitely do this first!

Back