Adding a little to CTI 24mm aft closure diameter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatgeek

Reaction score
Due to a long story, the TARC teams I'm working with are moving from 29mm to 24mm motors relatively late in the game. We have fin cans with 29mm mounts and the screw on Estes retainers. The diameter adapter isn't too big an issue, but I'm wondering about the retention. The OD of the aft closure is nearly exactly the same size as the ID of the Estes retainer cap. Is there any problem with adding a little JB Weld fillet to the aft closure so it has a better connection? The closure is knurled so it should get a nice grip. If that wouldn't work, are there other suggestions?

Thanks!

That could count as modifying the reload hardware, which might raise some eyebrows.

Fortunately with the 24mm CTI you've got those two indents, I'd just stamp up a fancy thrust ring embiggener.

I'm not at home so I cannot verify, but what about using the Estes 29/24 adapter? Not sure if a reload would fit in the adapter, but the OD should catch on the retainer.
If you are making your adapter, just add a plywood ring on the end that acts as a thrust ring maybe?

Can you find a washer or some other thin ring that could go between the motor and the retainer to better retain the motor yet allow a clear opening for the nozzle?

Can you find a washer or some other thin ring that could go between the motor and the retainer to better retain the motor yet allow a clear opening for the nozzle?

A 3/4" washer would probably work. I was hoping for something that couldn't be forgotten, but maybe that could be glued to the retainer cap.

I'm not at home so I cannot verify, but what about using the Estes 29/24 adapter? Not sure if a reload would fit in the adapter, but the OD should catch on the retainer.
If you are making your adapter, just add a plywood ring on the end that acts as a thrust ring maybe?

I think that adapter is shorter than the 24mm 2G casing, unfortunately.

I believe the 2 grain is 3.98" and would be to long. But just cut off the very end of the Estes adapter, or sand the inside open a little bit. I run that adapter in the 29mm Pro Series retainer all the time with 24-40 hardware. The retention is just at the aft closure. pic283841-1435502958.jpgest9750.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Back