Which rocket recovery system?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsmith

Reaction score
Which rocket location and retrieval system seems the most prevalent to you in use at HPR Launches these days? Are there any systems "just over the horizon" that may be worth putting off a purchase and waiting for?

Thank you.

Now I’m really unsure what you’re asking about. Are you asking for a favorite type of tracker? I like Walston still but I’ve used the GPSFlight which is no longer made. I’ve lusted after Kate, but I settled for the Missile Works RTx. There’s always something just over the horizon and what I saw of the Featherweight system makes me want one of them.

You will get a different answer from every person. If you have or want to get a ham license, then certain options are available. If you get cell service at your range and have a smart phone, other options are available. If you have a GPS navigator that takes coordinates and you don't have a ham license, other options might work for you.

Case in point -- the system I use effectively and always leads me to my rocket sometimes gets bashed by other people at a launch. I even had one guy say he stomped on his because it doesn't work. To each his own.

You will get a different answer from every person.

And hence the awkward phrasing of my question: "seems the most prevalent to you in use".

I fully realize all systems come with different caveats. Bat-Mite - What system are you using? If you are happy with your successes I'd love to hear more about it.

Eggfinder and MissleWorks are probably the most popular trackers used here. Ive had the both and I love them both.
They both have their good points. It's really a matter of budget and/skill level. They will both do the same thing. With Eggfinders, you build them yourself so skill (good eyesite and steady hand) is a plus. With MissleWorks, they come assembled and easy to use right out of the box. I now have all MissleWorks and love them. Research them and decide for yourself. It's a matter of preference.

As long as you get cell reception in your launch area, the "Whistle" GPS dog trackers work great. Mine had saved the day on several occasions, although as of last Saturday, its sitting in the top of a super tall cypress tree in the middle of a nasty swamp right now. Pretty much unrecoverable. I've ordered another tracker to replace it.

I would say this needs more qualifying.

I use many systems and my choices for using each system is based on three things. How much do I wan to spend or risk for that flight or rocket, what design restrictions does the rocket have and what is the expected altitude and velocity. There are other considerations as well.

When it comes to tracking what data beyond basic tracking are you looking for and are you okay with reading a log post flight or do you want real-time telemetry? Are you okay with basic directional range finding or do you want the works with your rocket displayed on a 3D map with GPS walk up to coordinates? Do you have your HAM or want to bother or can you just use something that works in a range where a HAM is not required, etc.

When it comes to altimeters, what is your max velocity? On the extreme side of flights people consider altimeters that are rated up to 100G. Are you doing staging, do you need timers or other variables built into the altimeter to meet your flight profiles, etc.

If you can provide more information on what you have in mind for a specific rocket then you will likely get more specific responses.

And hence the awkward phrasing of my question: "seems the most prevalent to you in use".

I fully realize all systems come with different caveats. Bat-Mite - What system are you using? If you are happy with your successes I'd love to hear more about it.

I use the BRB900 GPS system, and I walk out with a Magellan hiking navigator. I picked up the Magellan on ebay for about $20. The BRB900 is $300. Available from BigRedBee.com. No ham license required. No cell service necessary.

Back