Newbie Question on Motor Adapters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, I have a 54mm minimum diameter rocket (Hawk Mountain Transonic II) that I'd like to fly on 29mm motors. I've ran the sims and the rocket looks like it will perform well enough. My question is what is the best way to adapt the 29mm to the 54mm?

I used an AeroPack 54mm retainer attached to the airframe with JB Weld. Also own a Aeropack 38mm to 54mm adapter. Can I simply combine an Aeropack 29mm to 38mm adapter and use it with the 38mm to 54mm adapter? In other words, can I "gang" two adapters to make this work?

Any downside? Using motor ejection, so I'd need to do a ground test to insure that the BP ejection charge in a 29mm would be sufficient to deploy the laundry.

From AeroPack, "Note that all of our adapters, including the larger sizes further down this page, will nest into each other."

And I believe the standard ejection charge will be big enough for your 54mm rocket. 3-4" rockets and up might need more powder.

I launch standard Aerotech G-76 reloads in a 5'6" X 4' diameter rocket (with baffle) - ejects just fine

Back