Restoring A Cineroc: Any tips on repairing Butyrate?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a damaged Cineroc that once belonged to Herb Desind. I bought it on ebay, and got it's backstory from the seller. Along with it, I also got some damaged Cineroc parts, including a "Punched Black Butyrate Tube (PN 44126)", along with the shroud that shielded the mirror (glued on with CA at some time). Problem is, the Butyrate tube (aka "Camera Casing") has cracks at the slot for the alignment key. While they're unlikely to grow, they're unsightly. I want to repair them. I've tried tapes, but they're not working. So I'm now looking for a permanent fix.

I know that RC Cars use Butyrate bodies, but I'm not familiar with them any more than that. So, does anyone have suggestions on how to repair this?

I've removed the shroud for examination and measurements. I'm hoping to restore this to flight worthy, either with film, or more likely in a DV mod.

The mirror was in bad shape, and almost fell out when I removed the camera shroud. It was glued in with rubber cement. I took the opportunity to measure it. The dimensions are 8/32" x 11/32" x 1/32". I'm now looking for a disco ball to see if I can use find a mirror with the correct dimensions to replace the old one, or an easy method of restoring it.

Glass cutting is easy, if you have the tool. Getting the size right can be a problem though. Especially without damaging the first surface properties.

That said, mirror balls (aka Disco balls) have an awful lot of possible pre-cut sections, and making a first surface mirror can be as easy as soaking the mirror in something like acetone, or even stain removers. I bought small one for less than $3 in the USA.

The mirror was in bad shape, and almost fell out when I removed the camera shroud. It was glued in with rubber cement. I took the opportunity to measure it. The dimensions are 8/32" x 11/32" x 1/32". I'm now looking for a disco ball to see if I can use find a mirror with the correct dimensions to replace the old one, or an easy method of restoring it.

No help on the housing, but Edmund Optics has THIS 6mm x 8.5mm x 2mm thick. It is a little undersized, by your measurements, so you might get vignetting if the original mirror was full frame. Its also twice as thick as the original, but that's probably less of an issue.

Also, not sure if EO will ship to China.

Back