HPR Launch decibels

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDuphis

Reaction score
Has anyone ever ran a DB meter at regular viewing distance at HPR launches for various motor sizes? I have a wee one on the way, and I'm wondering if we brought him out, for what size/type/brand motors will I likely need to put some hearing protection on him. Thanks!

You need the protection for him. I took my 3yo, and he did not have a good time due to 'scary' fastburns. I don't think they hurt, just scared.

Giving him control of a pair of phones would have gone a long way.

Took my year old twins when I did my L2 flight. They didn't mind H/I flights, even sparkies. J and above scared them a bit at first, but they eventually got used to it. My two year old at the time loved it all.

[youtube]90ZujmMsoyg[/youtube]

I've found the larger concerns with kids at launches are environmental, and about a 2-3 hour attention span if you're lucky. It helps to have another adult to watch them if you're doing HPR recoveries.

10028724145_372118c836.jpg

As they've gotten older they've embraced the launch site life....

29302143463_4e874cec5e.jpg
19297985565_f282aedbba.jpg
18677430743_b93afe9ca0.jpg

14394296478_d68fa03bbc_z.jpg

Last edited:
The intensity of the sound waves and the duration are what determine the potential to cause hearing loss. Basically, the louder a sound is the shorter the duration needs to be to cause hearing damage. I would seriously doubt that the sounds from an HPR launch are loud enough for a long enough period to be a concern, but I have no data on that other than hearing a number of the launches myself. I ALWAYS wear hearing protection when using power tools, driving rivets and even using a hammer as those things do hurt my ears. I certainly have been startled by a few "big" motors, but never felt any discomfort in my ears.

I would suspect young children would be more frightened by the sounds than harmed by them. I wouldn't bring any child to a launch unless they were launching rockets themselves as I would think they would get bored.

For ear protection I'd use those rubber ear plugs that you use when you're shooting guns.. They work really well, if that doesn't work, you can always use over-the-ear-protection.

When I was 3 years old and saw HPR launches, I would start laughing and get really excited, well at least that's what my older brother said I would do. :)

Thanks,

My middle son had persistent ear infections as a baby, and was about to get tubed when they finally cleared up. He's got a slight degree of hearing loss, ostensibly from his history, and his doctor recommends earplugs for launches. I do this for all the kids now (and should do so for myself too!): easy, cheap and added level of safety.

We bought a pair of pink kids over the ear muffs for my daughter because she's always been sensitive to loud sounds, she's been wearing them since she was 2.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Rocketry Forum mobile app

David that is soo000 precious. so nice to see the young ones in the hobby. My kids to at times were part of it with me.

Paul

I'd guess 80-95 db. Might be louder if your closer. I have a light speed noise cancelling 3G headset aviation grade for the noisy stuff like non muffled light airplanes. Shooting rAnges and airports get the brunt of noise complaint lawsuits. Never heard of a rocket range shutting down by noise complaints. If you are concerned about hearing, you can get a aviator headset and the gel and sound protection is higher rated and designed for long durations. It also fits way better than most shooters muffs. Some rich guy bought a new plane a Columbia 400 and wanted to toss the freebie headsets in the trash, Dad bought all two on the spot for $200 which was a steal. The Bose unit he uses professionally. Bose makes some excellent nose canceling gear that's cheaper than aviation headsets but quality isn't on par. Earplugs doubled under shooters muffs also work, but duration isn't the best. Shoot a few thousand pistol rounds indoor range and you'll understand what I mean when I say duration isn't best which is like 130 db unprotected.

I use the light speed 3G when I flew Cessnas and also for that unmuffled echo contractor leaf blower which is attrociously loud. Ears ring when you start it loud. Aviator headset on no ringing. You can replace the gel inserts on aviator headset also. It's just softer and way more snug without uneven pressures but granted it costs more. You can also try custom fitted earplugs if your on a budget. You can't replace your ears after hearing damage.

As a way to compare the sound level to something your child may have experienced ....

Our dog is seriously afraid of fireworks, but is not bothered by the rockets. Occasionally, if there is an unusually load sound, he will bark once just to express his concern (or excitement?) But, generally he is okay at launches.

I don't think rockets are bad compared to machine shops, industrial environments VW car factory sucked, or contractor tools. Heavy machinery like lathes was the worst by duration and intensity. Nail on chalkboard type squeal for eight hours and louder than you could shout. For firearms I'd limit myself to 1 hour duration even with double hearing protection muff/earplugs indoor ranges. Minor discomfort felt if longer. With aviation headset I kept flights under six hours no discomfort and yard work under four hours with echo leaf blower. All of these exceeded typical consumer firework noise levels. L-1 rockets seem quiet in comparison non scientific. NHRA top fuel dragsters were also bad. T-37 Tweet startup 2 mile radius jet squeal, worst thing I ever heard. Keep us posted with some decibel readings.

Last edited:
As a way to compare the sound level to something your child may have experienced ....

Our dog is seriously afraid of fireworks, but is not bothered by the rockets. Occasionally, if there is an unusually load sound, he will bark once just to express his concern (or excitement?) But, generally he is okay at launches.

It's duration and decibels that gets people. There were flight line crews that wore company hearing protection for a lifetime career and had hearing damage. The muff quality that they wore wasn't on par with pilot headsets. I'd guess less than $30 of materials into line crew muffs, more like cheap shooter muffs non long duration. They said they thought they were protected. The retired guys I talked to said they had to pay for ear surgery. It's like the common working guy that needs work boots. Company gives you $15-20 set marked up over $100 that you stand on for 14+ hours and your feet bleed. I was lucky to be able to buy better than company boots from the start at a car factory internship. I looked the other way for a guy that had callous over an inch thick on his feet and couldn't stand up during shift yelling in pain from bad company quality boots. Technically I was suppose to fire him, but I let it slide. We chipped in and got him better boots. He worked harder than all the others from then on. Then you buy a better set and life is sore but not damaged and blood soaked blistered. With ears you can't see the damage from inferior protection. You lose it over a lifetime and only the short duration pain is noticed. Sorry if I take hearing issues a take more seriously. An RSO or LCO that does rockets for a living may have long term effects. If they buy quality gear and know they may have less damages if they have ever felt short term ear pains with inferior gear. Protect your pet if you want. I'm glad rockets short term don't bother it.

Back