Personal Launch Report-TCC 2018 Feb Club Launch-Tried out my new Nike Apache 2 stage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbdm

Rocketry Tourist
Reaction score
Tripoli of Central California's (TCC) first launch of 2018. Perfect weather - 70s midday, sunny, clear, and calm. Nice crowd, regulars and college students. First use of club's new wireless system was perfect. TCC will be hosting LDRS 37 this year in May and use the LDRS layout for this launch. TCC's launches near Helm, CA on the Maddow Dairy land.

l3.jpg l4.jpg

I recently finished my new Madcow Apache Two stage and want to give it a try. 1st stage was a Aerotech J460T and 2nd stage was on an H238. Use Missileworks RCC3+ for deploy deployment and 2nd staging. Use a Missileworks T3 for tracking in 2nd stage. In first stage I used a Garmin DC40 dog tracker and Stratologger SL100 where there is plenty of room. I was please with the successful flight everything worked as planned. Will need to tune up connection between 1st and 2nd stages and parachutes in 2nd stage.

Nike Apache Two Stage small.jpg

l1.jpg l2.jpg

Video of my flights this launch.
[YOUTUBE]1njSnBgbk-w[/YOUTUBE]

Looks like a great launch, David. What altitude did your two-stage get to?

Wow, that is some video, thanks for posting. The Apache stage appeared to be come down rather quickly. Did the main not fully deploy (around the 5:20 mark) ?

Wow, that is some video, thanks for posting. The Apache stage appeared to be come down rather quickly. Did the main not fully deploy (around the 5:20 mark) ?

Part of my fine tuning... they all open but both were 6 inch drogues.

With this build only so much room in 38 mm tube.... the cutes I had with me were either too big or two small to fit the space... so I used two 6 inch chutes for main and drogue... should have used 18 or 30 inch for main.

So I as fly over and over again, I'll have the right stuff with me for better recovery.

With the build only so much room in 38 mm tube.... the cutes I had with me were either too big or two small to fit the space... so I used two 6 inch chutes for main and drogue... should have used 18 or 30 inch for main.

So I as fly over and over again, I have the right stuff with me for better launch and recovery.

Ok I see. Yeah, gotta be creative with 38mm to work with.

With this build only so much room in 38 mm tube.... the cutes I had with me were either too big or two small to fit the space... so I used two 6 inch chutes for main and drogue... should have used 18 or 30 inch for main.

So I as fly over and over again, I'll have the right stuff with me for better recovery.

great flights!!! My Apache sustainer-only Flight at the last SARG launch used the Estes 24" nylon chute from the PS-II kits. Was a perfect size. Mine sustainer came in 35 Oz and change without motor.

I’m sure you use the stock coupler lengths. I put in longer to accommodate the tracker in the nose cone and altimeter in eBay. Left less for chute, harness, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back