Orbital Transport tips

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klatuso

Reaction score
I am building a Semroc Orbital Transport. Does anyone have any tips? I have already used adhesive labels for the larger fins but am growing tired. Might want to skip that. Used Minwax wood sealer on the smaller fins but growing tired of sanding. Perhaps I just need to suck it up? Any short cuts would be greatly appreciated.

There are no shortcuts with that much wood and that many pieces. Just gut it out and you'll be rewarded with a very nice model.

James

I'm with you friend. I'm also building an Orbital Transport. Growing wearing of trimming labels on all that wood. Also using Minwax wood filler. Sanding and more sanding. Yikes!

But just think guys, when you have a beautifully finished Orbital Transport, you can puff out your chest and say "it didn't just snap together".

Sheryl

But just think guys, when you have a beautifully finished Orbital Transport, you can puff out your chest and say "it didn't just snap together".

Sheryl

That's the great thing about being "old school"!!!! Kids today will never understand the satisfaction. I've got one of the Estes re-runs in my build pile. Another one saved for when I feel my skill can do it justice.

I would recommend strengthening the winglet joint on the booster with paper or labels, as they're prone to snapping off on landing.

"Winglet joint on the booster"? Where is the booster? Could you give me a bit more detail on that part? Please describe as accurately as you can. Do yo mean the fin at the end of the wing section which hangs down by 90 degrees?

I am building a Semroc Orbital Transport. Does anyone have any tips? I have already used adhesive labels for the larger fins but am growing tired. Might want to skip that. Used Minwax wood sealer on the smaller fins but growing tired of sanding. Perhaps I just need to suck it up? Any short cuts would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm...clue me in.
I've built the original Estes version years ago, and the upscale from Hawks Hobby (OOP) .

What are the "adhesive labels for the larger fins"?

Orbital Transport - Battlepark - Nathan pic (2).jpg

Many of us use self adhesive label paper (avery full sheet mailing labels are one brand) to cover the balsa on the fins, we then seal the edges with CA, the paper strengthens the fins and saves on filling the grain.

The booster contains the engine, and is what boosts the glider. The winglets are the small balsa pieces glued on at right angles to the aft most booster fins.

Now in my painting phase. However I must say that I am unpleased with the quality of my construction. I got frustrated with all the small pieces, with the sanding and filling and I have a very rough Orbital Transport. Fillets are too thick, divots in the balsa not filled in or sanded well. Crevices cannot be sanded well after priming. And the glider has the same. Somehow I got frustrated and rushed through it. Several coats of glossy white only accents my errors.

Oh well, live and learn and apply the decals to distract those who don't know better that this is a poor build. The dowel link of the glider with the booster broke several times and it is held together with yellow glue and a prayer. Dang!

Sometimes this is a discouraging live and learn hobby, but you have to move on. My next rocket is even more challenging (and expensive): the Semroc Atlantis Refit. So, I take what I learned. Take my time, prep the wings separately and well before moving on. Glue LIGHTLY. Fillet lightly and reinforce if necessary, but take the fact that these are low power and medium power rockets into consideration...do not over do it. And sand often. Stop and rethink. Etc.

Clearly, smaller rockets are not easier. The easiest and best build I have enjoyed was a MPR SA-14 Archer which looks fabulous. A basic big rocket.

Anyway, I appreciate the "If it looks good from the launch pad 30 feet away...it is good." approach. But, dang, I wish I could do better.

Yeah, sometimes it's best just to cut your losses. Besides, you'll be less inhibited on motor choices. :)

Waking up the dead on this graveyard thread. I just pulled the trigger on a Semroc OT and was looking around for tips. I did find a nice build blog here on TRF and plan on following that. I use the Michielssen approach, one coat of thinned CWF. I have the CWF thickness pretty well figured out, (the thinner the better, to a point) and I get pretty good results. The strategy will be to figure out how much "pre-finishing" I can do without causing problems down line in the instructions.

Back