New scratch build: Running With Scissors v2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
A few years ago, I built a rocket of my own design, that I called "Running With Scissors". I never did fly it, andn finally decided to give it to someone who would. When My friend Olga saw it, she thought it was the coolest rocket ever, and there was something about "running with scissors" and one of her daughters. I had already promised the original to someone else, so I decided to build a downscaled version for her. This one will be 3", with a plastic nose cone and wood tail cone.

View attachment Running With Scissors 3in.ork

screenshot01.jpg

screenshot02.jpg

decals05.jpg

I normally turn nose and tail cones from basswood, but it's expensive and hard to find. So I decided to try kiln dried redwood, and it turned out pretty good.

037.JPG

038.JPG

Attachments

• 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 070.JPG
    070.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 072.JPG
    072.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 30
I pinned, cut, and sanded the fins. This is 6mm plywood I got at JoAnn's.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

I like the name, too. Someone here suggested it when I was building the first version.

My goodness you are a heck of a craftsman. I know you were saying people don't post much in your build threads - but I read everyone and consistently get jealous!

Thank you for the compliment, but I don't consider myself a craftsman. I just have a lot of tools and experience with them. My father and grandfather were true craftsmen, and I could never hope to be as talented as they were. But growing up with them did give me some skills, and for that I am forever grateful. I just wish my father was alive to see my rockets. He loved watching me build and launch them as a kid.

I cut out the centering rings with a hole saw, and sized them on the lathe. I cut the center holes, also with a hole saw, and sized them with the Dremel. I epoxied blocks to the rings for the rail buttons, and sanded them flush. Using 1/2" nylon spacers, I epoxied the forward ring to the motor tube. Got it a little crooked, but that's okay. I decided to use an eyenut for the recovery harness attachment.

010b.jpg

011.JPG

023.JPG

027.JPG

028.JPG

031.JPG

036.JPG

037.JPG

I made a jig a while back, for cutting body tubes with a razor blade. I had problems with the single edged razor blades breaking, so decided to try a utility knife blade. It didn't break, but I should have put it at a slight angle, instead of straight in. It was a little aggressive, and didn't cut very smoothly. But I got it cut.

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

Great that you have the tools and skills to use them passed on from your father and grandfather. Hate paying those high kit prices when you can clone 'em yourself, or do an original scratch build. The high cost of shop tools and the long learning curve keeps me out. Awesome work!

I much prefer scratch building over kits, especially of my own designs.

I’m still waiting for the scratch build that costs me less than the equivalent kit. Maybe it’ll happen one day but so far... not even close.

It depends on the design, its' complexity, and the availability of standard components. Was able to clone a 2.6" HoJo and 4" Phoenix with significant cost savings over the kits. If I had woodworking skills like qquake, maybe I could have saved more by doing my own centering rings, etc. But I always crunch the numbers, if the parts for the clone comes even close to the kit price, it's a no go.

IMG_20180220_084026.jpgIMG_20180220_084125.jpg

Pardon the boxes, more clones and scratches to be built.

I’m still waiting for the scratch build that costs me less than the equivalent kit. Maybe it’ll happen one day but so far... not even close.

Scratch building may not be cheaper, at first. Buying materials for a scratch build many times leaves you with extra said materials when build is complete. So, the more you build from scratch, the more likely you can save money on future builds.

Now there is something to be said about kits, like by purchasing kits, you help support vendors and companies that come up with some really cool rockets.

"We now return you to our regularly scheduled program" :)

Thank you for the compliment, but I don't consider myself a craftsman. I just have a lot of tools and experience with them. My father and grandfather were true craftsmen, and I could never hope to be as talented as they were. But growing up with them did give me some skills, and for that I am forever grateful. I just wish my father was alive to see my rockets. He loved watching me build and launch them as a kid.

If you're not a Craftsman, then I am not even up to Harbor Freight standards. :wink:

While you don't consider yourself a Craftsmen (even though you are), you certainly can maintain the description of Rocket Journeyman!

Glad to see you decided to post this build, look'n really good!

If you're not a Craftsman, then I am not even up to Harbor Freight standards. :wink:

I used a Harbor Freight lathe for many years, until I finally got a Jet. I turned some good nose cones on the HF lathe, including a 6" that I ended up using on Bomber Betty.

191_shaping.jpg

143_lathe.jpg

192_sanding.jpg

208_cone.jpg

P1070487.jpg

While you don't consider yourself a Craftsmen (even though you are), you certainly can maintain the description of Rocket Journeyman!

Glad to see you decided to post this build, look'n really good!

Thank you Todd, I appreciate that.

Oops, posted the wrong photo. That was for Airborne. This is for Running With Scissors.

038.JPG

039.JPG

Got the fin positions marked, and the motor mount epoxied in.

032.JPG

033.JPG

040.JPG

041.JPG

Got the fin slots cut. With my handy dandy homemade fin alignment jig, I epoxied on the fins. And applied my unremarkable fillets.

043.JPG

044.JPG

045.JPG

046.JPG

047.JPG

048.JPG

049.JPG

050.JPG

051.JPG

Back