New scratch build: Airborne

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good, and a great concept. We don't have a lot of children at our launches (except the occasional cub scout launch) so it wouldn't make sense for me. I recall though looking for little UFO's on parachutes a while back for a launch, but don't remember which air frame I was going to fly them in.

Jim your on a roll,really like your idea and kids will always remember you.I know my grandson and granddaughter would love stormtroopers falling from a rocket.Can't wait to see those smiles and pictures.

Got the aft centering ring epoxied in, and glued on the retainer with JB Weld.

047.JPG

049.JPG

051.JPG

Got the rail buttons installed. In this case, getting wood is a good thing.

052.JPG

053.JPG

054.JPG

055.JPG

056.JPG

058.JPG

061.JPG

062.JPG

063.JPG

I sealed and sanded the fins, and primered the whole rocket. Then sprayed on the first coat of blue.

064.JPG

065.JPG

066.JPG

067.JPG

068.JPG

069.JPG

070.JPG

I normally use Rustoleum 2X paint, but didn't have any in blue. I did have a can of regular blue, so decided to try it. It did not cover well. I had to put four or five coats on it, but finally got it covered. I used 2X on the nose cone, and it covered in only two coats. Both colors are satin, which I prefer these days. I was planning on painting the fins black, and I still might. I want to fly it at the SARG launch tomorrow, and won't have time to mask and paint. But I'm pretty happy with how it turned out overall. I'll put the decals on in the morning.

071.JPG

072.JPG

073.jpg

074.jpg

075.jpg

I'm sure some of you have seen and/or heard of Tony's Pinata Rocket that he launches at Snow Ranch launches. The kids love running for the candy that comes out with the chute. I've often thought about doing something similar, but wanted it to be something different. So I decided on small,
toy paratroopers.

Love this! My 7 year old daughter's Jigglypuff rocket will be carrying a few jigglypuff paratroopers tomorrow at the SARG launch. I printed them out and put some mylar streamers on them.

Wait is this one flying tomorrow too? That'll be great! We'll have to do them back to back!

Yessir, I plan on flying it tomorrow. No Jigglypuffs, just some miniature paratroopers. Hence the name "AIRBORNE" for the rocket.

paratroopers01.jpg

paratroopers02.jpg

paratroopers03.jpg

paratroopers04.jpg

Don't forget to take the rubber bands off the paratroopers. I would hate to have to come visit you in the big house after the negligent homicide conviction.

Love to see rockets in the kitchen! That's where I build em too.

Forgot to add the last photos of attaching the harness, and the decals.

076.jpg

077.jpg

078.jpg

079.jpg

080.jpg

081.jpg

Back