New scratch build: Airborne

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I'm sure some of you have seen and/or heard of Tony's Pinata Rocket that he launches at Snow Ranch launches. The kids love running for the candy that comes out with the chute. I've often thought about doing something similar, but wanted it to be something different. So I decided on small,
toy paratroopers.

P1010117.JPG

pinata1.JPG

pinata3.JPG

paratroopers01.jpg

paratroopers02.jpg

paratroopers03.jpg

paratroopers04.jpg

I need a carrier for the paratroopers, of course, and came up with a simple 4" 3FNC design, that I'm calling "Airborne." There should be plenty of room for the chute and harness, and about 24 paratroopers. I decided on a 29mm motor mount, because I'll be launching it at SARG, which has a G motor restriction. It sims at around 1000' on a G64W, which is perfect.

View attachment Airborne.ork

decals01.jpg

screenshot01.jpg

screenshot02.jpg

I started by pinning, cutting, and match sanding the fins. I rounded the leaded edges.

001.JPG

009.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

Oriental Trading huh! I shopped there too. I have toys I give to the kiddos at the launches and one I got from OT was Arrowcopters. The Rocket Balloons I get from the Clown Supply Store in town. That's cool Jim. Love to see a video when you have one.

Arrowcopter.jpg Rocket Balloons.jpg

I used to play with Arrow Copters when I was a kid. I loved those things!

I thought about collecting maple seeds and putting a bunch of them in a low, slow rocket.

That would be cool. I use to play with maple seeds as a kid.

Why not make them? Could easily be fabricated from tongue depressors/popsicle sticks.

You go ahead and give that a shot. I tried a 100 different way to fabricate one of those back in the 60's as a form of recovery. All of my prototypes bit the dust. I still have one of those in a box somewhere. It was shaped just like a maple seed and all it did was fall.

It doesn't seem like it would be difficult. You would just need a wing with an airfoil, and a weight on the end. But I'll take your word for it, Gary.

This one looks like fun. 24 paratroopers floating down should be hilarious. Can't wait to see the video on this one.

Oriental Trading huh! I shopped there too. I have toys I give to the kiddos at the launches and one I got from OT was Arrowcopters. The Rocket Balloons I get from the Clown Supply Store in town. That's cool Jim. Love to see a video when you have one.
View attachment 338883

Those things are great. Figure out a way to deploy a bunch of *them* from a rocket. :)

View attachment 338883

Hey Gary, do you know what these are called on Oriental Trading's website, or do you have a part number? I can't find them.

I cut out the centering rings with a hole saw, and sized them on the lathe. I cut the center holes, also with a hole saw, and sized them with the Dremel. I epoxied blocks to the rings for the rail buttons, and sanded them flush. Using 1/2" nylon spacers, I epoxied the forward ring to the motor tube. I also got the u-bolt installed.

010.JPG

011.JPG

015.JPG

018.JPG

019.jpg

020.JPG

021.JPG

022.JPG

You go ahead and give that a shot. I tried a 100 different way to fabricate one of those back in the 60's as a form of recovery. All of my prototypes bit the dust. I still have one of those in a box somewhere. It was shaped just like a maple seed and all it did was fall.

I'll get back to you on this. It's low priority, so it falls to the bottom of the pile, but it will always be at the back of my mind.

I'll get back to you on this. It's low priority, so it falls to the bottom of the pile, but it will always be at the back of my mind.

Been a long time since I toyed with it. I tried to make it just like a Maple Seed which is prolly where I went wrong. Maybe a new take on something that'll spin the same way, shaped a little like a maple seed. I dunno.

Hey Quakster, sorry for the derail. Sith happens sometimes. I like watching you scratch one up. Beats watching someone do a kit. Thanks to you, I get lathe knowledge I never had or thought of. Got some Redwood on the get list as we speak.

I like the derails. Keeps things interesting. Keep 'em coming!

I'm pretty sure these nuts won't come loose.

Attachments

• 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 32
Got the fin and rail button positions marked, and epoxied in the motor mount.

026.JPG

027.JPG

029.JPG

030.JPG

031.JPG

033.JPG

034.JPG

Got the slots cut. Using my handy dandy homemade fin alignment guide as usual, I got the fins epoxied on.

035.JPG

036.JPG

037.JPG

038.JPG

039.JPG

040.JPG

041.JPG

042.JPG

My usual unremarkable fillets. I should be able to start painting tomorrow.

044.JPG

045.JPG

046.JPG

Back