Russian athlete suspected of doping at Winter Olympics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
The man on the Russian mixed doubles curling team is suspected of doping. Curling? Seriously? Curling? Why? :surprised:

I actually like watching curling (I streamed some of the events), but why do you need to take performance enhancing drugs?

No idea, but I too did some serious curling watching this year. Seems like it got more media hype this year. I always thought it was just something else for Canadians to do on ice while drinking Labatts. A visit to the DFW Curling Club is now on my list.

No idea, but I too did some serious curling watching this year. Seems like it got more media hype this year. I always thought it was just something else for Canadians to do on ice while drinking Labatts. A visit to the DFW Curling Club is now on my list.

LOL! That's it all right. Just others are catching on.

LOL! That's it all right. Just others are catching on.

A friend of mine who is active in the Seattle curling club says they get a massive spike in memberships at Winter Olympics time.

Considering that Russia was banned from the 2018 Winter Olympics, he shouldn't be there anyway. :hot:

I am shocked- shocked- to find that gambling is going on in here!

- Cpt. Louis Renault​

As for why performance enhancing drugs might enhance performance at curling: strength is required to hold yourself up on ice while sliding a heavy object, or while walking sideways bent at the waist and rapidly moving a broom. Also, you must not fall over in a fit of hysterical laughter every time it occurs to you that they award Olympic medals for this so -- in addition to the usual muscle mass promoting drugs -- curlers are also screened for Nuedexta

Considering that Russia was banned from the 2018 Winter Olympics, he shouldn't be there anyway. :hot:

The Olympic Committee has allowed some of the Russian athletes to compete under the O.A.R. banner Olympic Athletes from Russia, there a major restrictions on what they portray. They are not allowed to wear their countries uniforms, carry their countries flag, the Olympic March is played instead of the Russian Anthem if they medal, reporters are not allowed to promote their country beyond mentioning where they are from. Honestly to me the situation they find themselves in is just as embarrassing as being banned IMO.

Well I disagree. I think they should allow Russians to play under Russian flag but none of the dopers get awards going to Russia if they won. Not all Russians doped allegedly. But I don't make rules. TTU was in wrong and put the wrong altimeter in a SEDS rocket guess they saved three grams, last year and got disqualified from winning but SpaceVision respected their other achievements in other aspects outside of that competition. They had used a Formula 54 kit. It was well built. Wrong avionics sadly. They screw up picking altimeters but they did design other neat Space stuff. They still attended and were very sportsman like. They shoulda stuck with an APRA and that's how UTC placed third. SEDS didn't give TTU a generic SEDS flag. But nobody was screaming cheaters or anything. We were just shocked we won because they disqualified themselves. It took a semester or two to build a rocket and putting the wrong altimeter in it is a real dumb thing to do.

To me a Winter Olympics without Russia is like Russian without AK or Vodka or bear. Is not right. Some Russians not act right but hey is Russia. They sell weapons to all who have money... As business...But they all in tizzy about Ruskies and policies and wars and you can't even buy a new Saiga or VEPR from that ol politics crapola and embargoes in Us right now. But you can buy Arsenal AK of Bulguria. Stuff makes me laugh a lot. Kinda mad it's hard to buy Russian semi auto clone AK now.

Russia is banned due to Russia's state-run doping program.

Russia did it on purpose, need to pay the price for cheating.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/winter-olympics-russia-banned-why-11998234

IF ONLY Russia ALSO pays the price someday for the most massive state-run cheating in history. But we're paying the price instead. And I don't mean a tiny # of 'Muricans whining about not being able to satisfy a part of their fetishes by buying their fetish products made elsewhere.

Dang it ! Looks like this thread is infected with the Andrew_ASC virus. Please don't panic. The best approach is to avoid contact and wash your hands often. :wink:

Folks, please do NOT make this thread political. This thread is about the Olympics, not about guns. Just don't go there and don't let yourselves be baited into going there by others.

....please do NOT make this thread political. This thread is about the Olympics...

Talk about the Olympics without talking about politics...that'll be a tricky needle to thread.

Can we talk about who is talking about guns? Did the comment already get deleted?

If they have curling in the winter Olympics then why don't they have shuffleboard in the summer Olympics?

While I'm on a rant, is ice dancing really a sport? If so then maybe we need Olympic ballroom dancing too.

If they have curling in the winter Olympics then why don't they have shuffleboard in the summer Olympics?

While I'm on a rant, is ice dancing really a sport? If so then maybe we need Olympic ballroom dancing too.

What about synchronized swimming?

I can't explain it Nathan but curling hit me like the flu this year. Must see tv. And now the USA men are in the gold medal match. That's some cosmic spooky karma s__ right there. As for your other sports I say bring 'em on ! :)

[edit] I know the cure. When the rain stops, go launch a rocket !

There will always be debate about what is a sport, what is a game, what is a sport and a game .... Golf is a game, but is it a sport? Bowling? Kickball? Croquet?

I can't explain it Nathan but curling hit me like the flu this year. Must see tv. And now the USA men are in the gold medal match. That's some cosmic spooky karma s__ right there. As for your other sports I say bring 'em on ! :)

As a curler myself, I'm looking forward to the game. The US making it to the gold medal game (and beating Canada to get there) is a pretty big deal in the curling world. It assures them of the best US finish in Olympic history, topping the bronze that the men won in 2006. I will probably not be watching live, though.

[edit] I know the cure. When the rain stops, go launch a rocket !

Or try curling - https://www.dfwcurling.com/

As a curler myself, I'm looking forward to the game. The US making it to the gold medal game (and beating Canada to get there) is a pretty big deal in the curling world. It assures them of the best US finish in Olympic history, topping the bronze that the men won in 2006. I will probably not be watching live, though.

Yep, USAvCAN was riveting. I can imagine how amp'ed I'd be if I knew the rules.

Thanks John, already bookmarked. See post #2 :)

There will always be debate about what is a sport, what is a game, what is a sport and a game .... Golf is a game, but is it a sport? Bowling? Kickball? Croquet?
Golf is definitely just a game. Anything that you can play while drinking beer and smoking cigars is not a sport.

If you haven't seen it, go watch it: Men with Brooms https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0263734/

I was curious the other day, as to how one gets started in Bobsledding. Like, there are only about 18 tracks around eth world, 2 in Canada, 2 in the US. It's not like it's a sport that many schools participate in.. Seems more like a commitment at some point, one with mucho dinaros to at least get started (like sailing or rally racing). What you enjoy tobogganing where you're young, look a little silly going down the slopes on a toboggan in your teens, and finally, move to a city that is close to a proper track?

I understand the path to curling is much easier. When told of my latest obsession, my daughter sent me this:

[video=youtube;R1W8EBLYPdI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1W8EBLYPdI[/video]

If you haven't seen it, go watch it: Men with Brooms https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0263734/

I was curious the other day, as to how one gets started in Bobsledding. Like, there are only about 18 tracks around eth world, 2 in Canada, 2 in the US. It's not like it's a sport that many schools participate in.. Seems more like a commitment at some point, one with mucho dinaros to at least get started (like sailing or rally racing). What you enjoy tobogganing where you're young, look a little silly going down the slopes on a toboggan in your teens, and finally, move to a city that is close to a proper track?

There are ten tracks in the USA. The US Luge Association has several "come try it" events a year, usually in the summer (believe it or not). The target age for starting is 9 - 13 years old. Youngsters sign up for a 2 -3 hour session during which their interest, natural ability, work ethic, and ambition are measured. Those wishing to continue must join the USLA and participate in training sessions, where participants are whittled down to Olympic qualifiers, and then tryouts for the US Olympic team.

I imagine it's similar in Canada.

I will hold my tongue because all the PC police will be all over me. You guys know who you are. LOL What happened to 1980's America where PC never existed?? Oh yea that was before the millennials could talk.

Last edited:
There are ten tracks in the USA. The US Luge Association has several "come try it" events a year, usually in the summer (believe it or not). The target age for starting is 9 - 13 years old. Youngsters sign up for a 2 -3 hour session during which their interest, natural ability, work ethic, and ambition are measured. Those wishing to continue must join the USLA and participate in training sessions, where participants are whittled down to Olympic qualifiers, and then tryouts for the US Olympic team.

I imagine it's similar in Canada.

One of the most fun things I have ever done is ride in a 4 man bobsled down the Olympic bobsled track at Lake Placid, where they had the 1980 winter Olympics. Back in the 80's they had the "Coors Silver Bullet" 4 man bobsled there and they would run it down the bobsled track with an experienced driver and experienced guy in the back, with two passengers in the middle. We weren't going anywhere near competitive speeds but it still seemed incredibly fast. I remember looking up at an upcoming curve and thinking "Holy #@*&% are we really going to take that curve this fast!?!?!?" I don't know if they still do that but it was really fun.

Golf is definitely just a game. Anything that you can play while drinking beer and smoking cigars is not a sport.

I'm pretty sure you can curl while drinking beer. At the very least, the first post-game round is either on the winner or the loser, can't remember which. Our local curling club has a bar inside.

If I may stand up for sailing, it doesn't have to be expensive. There are a lot of clubs/nonprofits that teach kids to sail without charging a lot of money. My kid is currently in sailing, basic gear is a good pair of boots and gloves plus a lot of synthetic clothes. They can be had for under $100 if you get clothes at the thrift store. We even scored a wetsuit that fit perfectly at the thrift store for like $30. Season fees are no more than any other high school sport. Of course, once you get to the big leagues and have your own boat, it gets a lot more expensive like any other sport with specialized gear.

I will hold my tongue because all the PC police will be all over me. You guys know who you are. LOL What happened to 1980's America where PC never existed?? Oh yea that was before the millennials could talk.

Before the 1980's it was called having GOOD MANNERS. Still is. But those who want to claim to be anti-PC then seem to relish in having BAD manners.

Having good manners was (and still is) the Old School version of "PC", going back hundreds of years.

Back