Russian athlete suspected of doping at Winter Olympics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before the 1980's it was called having GOOD MANNERS. Still is. But those who want to claim to be anti-PC then seem to relish in having BAD manners.

Having good manners was (and still is) the Old School version of "PC", going back hundreds of years.

Agree to disagree. Good manors is very different then PC. There are people that I know are very PC and have great manors and people that are not PC have great manors. I think people that are not PC are actually very happy people. I think people who are PC are so busying appeasing everyone and in some cases not always happy people. I am not a PC person and I am very happy. I live life to my full potential. I love my family and love people. I am who I am and I dont have to pretend to be something I am not. When you see me on the street I am the same person in private.

There are ten tracks in the USA. The US Luge Association has several "come try it" events a year, usually in the summer (believe it or not). The target age for starting is 9 - 13 years old. Youngsters sign up for a 2 -3 hour session during which their interest, natural ability, work ethic, and ambition are measured. Those wishing to continue must join the USLA and participate in training sessions, where participants are whittled down to Olympic qualifiers, and then tryouts for the US Olympic team.

I imagine it's similar in Canada.

Huh!! thanks John. I guess Google dosen't know everything! (of course, I only searched for , like, a minute.. :D) Truth be told, I kinda figure it was something like that..

If I may stand up for sailing, it doesn't have to be expensive. There are a lot of clubs/nonprofits that teach kids to sail without charging a lot of money. My kid is currently in sailing, basic gear is a good pair of boots and gloves plus a lot of synthetic clothes. They can be had for under $100 if you get clothes at the thrift store. We even scored a wetsuit that fit perfectly at the thrift store for like $30. Season fees are no more than any other high school sport. Of course, once you get to the big leagues and have your own boat, it gets a lot more expensive like any other sport with specialized gear.

I grew up sailing, racing / crewing with my dad. The bat, the club fees, the new set of sails.. Yes, it can be had fro cheaper, but to be 'competitive'.. (A good freind was one of the Canadian Tornado team sailors in the 70's.. a club mate did many years of 'Laser masters'. )

My dad & I always talked about doing CORK in our Albacore, but we never found the time.. (I think he was more afraid of loosing to others, than winning against the local fleet..)
https://www.cork.org/

If I may stand up for sailing, it doesn't have to be expensive. There are a lot of clubs/nonprofits that teach kids to sail without charging a lot of money. My kid is currently in sailing, basic gear is a good pair of boots and gloves plus a lot of synthetic clothes. They can be had for under $100 if you get clothes at the thrift store. We even scored a wetsuit that fit perfectly at the thrift store for like $30. Season fees are no more than any other high school sport. Of course, once you get to the big leagues and have your own boat, it gets a lot more expensive like any other sport with specialized gear.

I think like all sports it depends on what level you want to be at. Higher levels will cost more in any sport. It's just some things there isn't much low-end competition. I'm betting more bobsledders just happen to be near tracks, than set out wanting to be a bobsledder.

Was this the enhancer he used?

41gLSUNVvUL.jpg

The Olympic Committee has allowed some of the Russian athletes to compete under the O.A.R. banner Olympic Athletes from Russia, there a major restrictions on what they portray. They are not allowed to wear their countries uniforms, carry their countries flag, the Olympic March is played instead of the Russian Anthem if they medal, reporters are not allowed to promote their country beyond mentioning where they are from. Honestly to me the situation they find themselves in is just as embarrassing as being banned IMO.

I don't know about that Rich..
I have always been sentimental and or sympathetic to Olympians..
People work their rears off for years day and night, working out and practicing their sport..
For a fleeting glimpse of a dream, and Olympic medal to wear..
When I first heard about the Russian thing I thought,
it's good and correct that they did what they did to let them compete and not take a way their individual dream for the few bad apples..
But now after watching much of the Olympics I get the feeling that this doping was done with way too many of the
Russian athletes blessing / knowledge / willingness..
So just how embarrassed could they have been..
Then,, they caught one still doping..
Then I started to think..
Doping under these circumstances is REALLY bad..
It says you have no idea what the Olympics truly means,, what it truly means to be legitimately better at a sport then anyone else in the whole world..
Most of these people are brought to tears when they find out they've won,, especially a gold..
And this wasn't someone doping,, read the entire sentence,, "A State sponsored doping program..
"State sponsored",,, "program",,, that's just crazy.. That's insane..

I'd like to know how many Russian athletes felt negatively about this but looked the other way..
I find it hard to believe none could do or say anything to stop this,, no one can speak truth to power--- This is wrong.. This is not what the Olympics is about...

And why the heck are their complaints about politics in a thread about the Olympics..
This is not political,, it's about the Olympics.. That's not political,, and has absolutely nothing to do with politics..

Teddy

I gotta go,,
it's my birthday and my wife and daughter are taking me out to dinner,, lol,, yayy..

I'd like to know how many Russian athletes felt negatively about this but looked the other way..

You made me wonder 'if' they knew they were in a program.. I meqan,at tehir monthly phisical or daily rub down,what's to say the "vitamin" they ere given was gradually switched for a performance enhancer? Ya know, somehting tht would slowly make them bette,rnot an overnight thing, but a slow improvement timed jsut right..

Plausible deniability?

But then again, who are we talking about..

You made me wonder 'if' they knew they were in a program.. I meqan,at tehir monthly phisical or daily rub down,what's to say the "vitamin" they ere given was gradually switched for a performance enhancer? Ya know, somehting tht would slowly make them bette,rnot an overnight thing, but a slow improvement timed jsut right..

Plausible deniability?

But then again, who are we talking about..

I'm all with ya there..
This is the point..
Maybe before the Olympic committee made a way for the athletes to compete
they should have found out if this was done with their blessing..
We know it was done with the Russian government's blessing,, it was their doing..
If the athletes genuinely didn't know about this then they shouldn't be penalized
and shouldn't have the chance to compete taken away from them..
But if the athletes did know about it then they shouldn't be allowed to compete at all..
My concern was that just before this Olympics I thought what Rich said earlier,,
ohhh,, how embarrassing for them,,
I feel bad for them having to compete after their government just got caught in something so ridiculously ugly,,
a state sponsored doping program,, how stupid,, then the entire point of the whole Olympics is null and void...
The curling athleat mustn't have been to embarrassed thought,, as he was still doping..

So who else among their athletes knew and willingly participated..
Any that ever willingly participated shouldn't be allowed to compete,, no ??

How is it humanly possible that someone before thought this thread and these comments had anything even remotely to do with politics..

Teddy

Latest posts

Back