Show us your HED

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CJ:

You said the lids go completely inside, but the last photo shows the aft lid flush with the end of the coupler. Am I seeing that right?

You are correct, that picture is one where the front BP is recessed about 4-5in. for more chute room.
There was no need on apogee side, they are flush like normal setup.
I have to go through hundreds of files searching for build pic & sometimes I 'cheat' when I find one "close enough",
but you snake eyed rascal caught me!

I did something similar to what Jim did on my 3" Saab. I epoxied the upper bulk plate in place about 3" down inside the coupler even with the top of the vent band. I have nuts on the all thread on both sides of this plate so it stays in place. I slide the bottom bulk plate and sled over the all thread and lock it in place with another pair of nuts.

Wildman 3" Saab Build Thread

Nice. No damage to your antenna from the ejection charge?

The first thing I do when packing the main in the nose cone is put my ejection charge/ematch all the way into the tip, a pinch of barf on top of that, then shock cord, then pack the burrito containing the 42" X-form main. This way the charge blows the laundry out every time. It's a little tight in a 2.5" NC. I also have this same setup in a 54mm NC. No outside antenna on that one but it's still a very tight packing. All my NC's are held on with one nylon sheer pin and a 1/16" pressure relief hole just a tab above the shoulder/bulkhead. Vent your nose cones just like you would any payload section.

Anyone use a setup like this? The plan is to stuff the charges in the tip of the nose cone, tape the leads to the inside of the nose cone, and carefully fold the ends onto the bulkhead to minimize the chances of anything disconnecting the breakaway JST connectors during launch / flight, as the nose cone is seated onto the coupler. In tests so far, the taped on charge leads are completely removed from the nosecone.

My thinking is to minimize potential hang ups with the recovery system. I think bulkhead mounted terminals would have less chance of being disrupted, but the fit of the match leads into the JST connectors is good, and I think that careful placement will mitigate the risk. I am concerned that a wire that is firmly mounted to the bulkhead and led up to the nosecone tip might have more chance of fouling?

Feedback?

In general I do not use terminals or interconnects. I wire the match directly to the altimeter. Sure, it slows down prep a little, but it eliminates a potential connection failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back