Looking for inspiration and maybe a kick in the pants!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy Micro-Maxxers:
You guys may have noticed, I seem to have slowed way down on new Micro Maxx builds. Well truth is I've nearly stopped all building for more then the last few months.
As many of you may know I've been battling Prostate Cancer which lately has matastised(sp) into my Lymph system. This new wrinkle has really got me down (mostly mentally) I'm really not feeling that bad just down in the dumps. Just turned 69, I'm trying like the dickens to get myself back up out of this very dark spot...it's just every time I think things are going a little better...there is more bad news.

Anyway I'm looking for a few Ideas for somethings you guys would like to see tackled to get some of this health stuff off the brain. Don't mean this to be a downer thread, just hoping some of your ideas might get me out of the doldrums.

Hoping to hear some great ideas soon.

Last edited:
I've followed your threads and I'm amazed at your craftsmanship. I'm not sure if there is anything you haven't built. Have you done micros of the now OOP Estes PSII kits?.

Have you done any micro tubers? I peruse most of your threads, but I don't remember seeing any.

John, I was not aware of your health issues, I will pray for your revovery.

I would suggest the Higg Farm Square rocket. It is a limited distribution kit from New Way. I could take measurements from mine if you decide to go that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

How about a micro falcon heavy? 3 engine cluster with some transparent fins.
ever make an sr-71 that small?
Apogee offers that sr-72 blackbird glider, seems like a real challenge to downsize and keep “glideable”
best of luck on your health.

Good luck with your ongoing battle.

Micro Falcon Heavy sounds very cool. Starship Avalon downscale would be fun and very doable I think (it's the first thing that popped into my head, so sue me).

Some of John Boren's level 4 and 5 designs would be pretty interesting. Have you done a Micro QCC Explorer?

Y'all don't get it. Micro can build rockets anytime he wants to. Right now, he's prolly not in the mood to do that. He's too busy feeling low and bummed out to fret with it. (my guess). Micro, you said you wanted a K.I.P, so here it is. If I knew I had something that might, or was going to off me sometime down the road, I would consider it "advanced notice". Not everybody gets that luxury. At least I'd have a chance to get right with everyone and everything. I'd also feel this as an advantage. Some people go in an instant and never know what hit em. At least you have the chance to do what ever you need or want to do. Embrace it!

I know my days are numbered and at some point either I'll bite the instant dust, or get a notice, like you did. I'd make the best of every minute I had. Spend some of that buckola you been sitting on for a rainy day, cause it just got cloudy outside. Go somewhere you never been before. Do something you always wanted to do but kept putting it off. Please don't lie down and fade away. Get off your ass and slide into home plate with joy. Because you know you are finally going to get the hell out of this place. I do not worry about what may or may not be on the other side. I feel quite certain it's gotta be better than this place. When that Dr. tells me I only have a couple of years to live because my (?????) is going to crash, I'll be damned if I'm gonna crawl in a corner and get pitiful.

I have a very dear old girlfriend that is dying from Lyme disease. She called me 1.5 years ago to tell me she only had a couple of years left, so we have stayed in touch quite often. You wouldn't know she was going to die if you saw her. She's accepted it and keeps on trucking as hard and fast as her body will let her. And so full of joy. It's almost scary how cheerful she is, considering. If this is going to off you, then this is the way you were supposed to go. You've lived a lot longer than a great many people have. That reaper comes at all ages. I'll welcome mine with open arms.

Sorry for the Late replies guy's
Over the weekend I had another CT, MRI, Lab work and Lynph biopsy. Drank more Contrast Liquid, Barium & Iodine solutions then I care to remember and feel like a pin cushion LOL!

Wow! Falcon Heavy...Why didn't I think of that! falls right into my wheelhouse.. I just love Clusters! and yes Dick that square rocket sounds interesting, If you get a chance I could really use the measurments and a photo or two.

dhbarr: Forgive me, Tubers? a picture would be greatly appreciated.

The Silver Comet is in the que already just haven't gotten around to it .

Neil: The Starship Avalon is really KEWL! I'll absolutely consider it.

Gery: Thanks! I've been thinking many of those same things. Which is way I needed to get some ideas to turn the corner. Thanks to you all for the great suggestions.

Micro,
According to this site here: each tube has a diameter of 3.66m, the side boosters are 42.6m in length, and the inner airframe is 55.2m long, not including the payload fairing which is 5.2m wide and 13.9 meters long.

Ive never tried scale before so forgive the lack of specifics, Im pretty sure the side booster height doesn’t account for their nosecones.

couldnt find any detail shots or diagrams on the boosters retractable legs, or grid fins either.

EDIT: lol just realized you were looking for measurements on the Higgs farm rocket!

2ED6D161-A0A6-4A40-BC6A-DFEB9C847E3F.jpeg

D179BACB-CA0E-4F24-B4D8-8CDA329D6A63.jpg

943FC999-43FF-4920-85F4-D08F5F1B37B4.jpg

Micro,
According to this site here: each tube has a diameter of 3.66m, the side boosters are 42.6m in length, and the inner airframe is 55.2m long, not including the payload fairing which is 5.2m wide and 13.9 meters long.

Ive never tried scale before so forgive the lack of specifics, Im pretty sure the side booster height doesn’t account for their nosecones.

couldnt find any detail shots or diagrams on the boosters retractable legs, or grid fins either.

EDIT: lol just realized you were looking for measurements on the Higgs farm rocket!

Amsterdam: That is absolutely AOK! I'll use this data for sure and thank you very much for taking the time to look all this scale data up.

dhbarr: Well not exactly tube finned rockets as such but I do have "MM ISM Frank-in-Space Man", MM Steam Punked Buck Shot, & MM Solar Flare. To be honest I've never been taken with tube finned rockets. But I will take another look at them:)

I think this would work as an MMX conversion. I burn my estes 1/4A motors all the time in this, and it's a hoot to fly. just a little bigger than the mosquito and still BT5 based. the same setup as the super flea.

Mini Brutes 01.jpg

View attachment mini_Finless.pdf

Just saw this Micro, sorry about your affliction & hope you fare better in coming weeks.

Last weekend I was going to a launch...WAS. Then one of my best friends for 40 yrs called me, I could tell by his voice it was bad. He had been for his yearly check-up [64], felt fine, but doctor blind sided him....
" you have 6 weeks or less " His liver is failing from the myriad of drugs he's on for Diabete's. Less than 20% functioning. Unless he gets a transplant the outlook is bleak.

He called to ask me to go to Tennessee mountains [Gatlinburg] where his family has rented cabins in the woods since he was a kid. There were 15 of us close friends, daughters & grandchildren. We spent days doing family stuff, evenings were ours [he & I] to reminisce about all our adventures during our youth. We both talked point blank about our mortality etc. I asked him if there was anything he wished he had done or would like to do. Nope he said, I have lived the life of 10 men, & done it all. Of course there is always more, but I knew exactly what he meant as I feel the same.

We both just had fun talking about the past & doing stupid fun stuff. One night we ate footlong corn dogs, slabs of walnut fudge & chocolate covered cherries. [all of which was a no-no for both of us, but so-what] I left him laughing & in a great mood considering his fate. I may or may not ever see him again, but last week we both had as good a time as if nothing was amiss. He's going home to sell his business & houses all the crap ya can't take with you. Suddenly you realize material things don't matter much. Just friends and family are the only comfort during these stress filled times. His take away is just to keep fighting, hoping & living like it never happened, right to the last moment he has.

I too feel my mortality as of late. 11 of my closest friends and family have passed in the last 2 years. I'm not in the greatest shape either, but I continue to keep doing what I do, enjoying every sunset & meal as if it were the last & thankful for all the great adventures this life has given me.
Like you, one of my greatest treasures is building rockets...takes your mind off of the now for as long as you build...lol
So I'll pray for you my friend, and keep on doing what you do...giving great enjoyment to others, as you have for many years, sharing your skills & projects with us lucky ones on the Forum. You have been an inspiration to me and many others..of that I am sure.
One of the greatest lines I ever was told....."every man has a story, no matter how bad, there's another man out there,with whom you would not want to trade places with"

Jim H.

Last edited:
Just saw this Micro, sorry about your affliction & hope you fare better in coming weeks.

Last weekend I was going to a launch...WAS. Then one of my best friends for 40 yrs called me, I could tell by his voice it was bad. He had been for his yearly check-up [64], felt fine, but doctor blind sided him....
" you have 6 weeks or less " His liver is failing from the myriad of drugs he's on for Diabete's. Less than 20% functioning. Unless he gets a transplant the outlook is bleak.

He called to ask me to go to Tennessee mountains [Gatlinburg] where his family has rented cabins in the woods since he was a kid. There were 15 of us close friends, daughters & grandchildren. We spent days doing family stuff, evenings were ours [he & I] to reminisce about all our adventures during our youth. We both talked point blank about our mortality etc. I asked him if there was anything he wished he had done or would like to do. Nope he said, I have lived the life of 10 men, & done it all. Of course there is always more, but I knew exactly what he meant as I feel the same.

We both just had fun talking about the past & doing stupid fun stuff. One night we ate footlong corn dogs, slabs of walnut fudge & chocolate covered cherries. [all of which was a no-no for both of us, but so-what] I left him laughing & in a great mood considering his fate. I may or may not ever see him again, but last week we both had as good a time as if nothing was amiss. He's going home to sell his business & houses all the crap ya can't take with you. Suddenly you realize material things don't matter much. Just friends and family are the only comfort during these stress filled times. His take away is just to keep fighting, hoping & living like it never happened, right to the last moment he has.

I too feel my mortality as of late. 11 of my closest friends and family have passed in the last 2 years. I'm not in the greatest shape either, but I continue to keep doing what I do, enjoying every sunset & meal as if it were the last & thankful for all the great adventures this life has given me.
Like you, one of my greatest treasures is building rockets...takes your mind off of the now for as long as you build...lol
So I'll pray for you my friend, and keep on doing what you do...giving great enjoyment to others, as you have for many years, sharing your skills & projects with us lucky ones on the Forum. You have been an inspiration to me and many others..of that I am sure.
One of the greatest lines I ever was told....."every man has a story, no matter how bad, there's another man out there,with whom you would not want to trade places with"

Jim H.

Thanks Jim:
I Guess we all have those Mortality moments, just lost my wonderful Mother-in-Law to cancer two weeks ago and it along with my own trials just got the better of me for awhile:)
I'm looking very hard at the Falcon Heavy as my next Micro scale build or perhaps a T4- T2++ Scale of my fathers Vanguard TV-4 rocket. I really appreciate all you guys thoughts and suggestions and will have something to show you all pretty soon:)
Thanks Again for the Pick-Me-Up's they all worked pretty well:)

Thanks Jim:
I Guess we all have those Mortality moments, just lost my wonderful Mother-in-Law to cancer two weeks ago and it along with my own trials just got the better of me for awhile:)
I'm looking very hard at the Falcon Heavy as my next Micro scale build or perhaps a T4- T2++ Scale of my fathers Vanguard TV-4 rocket. I really appreciate all you guys thoughts and suggestions and will have something to show you all pretty soon:)
Thanks Again for the Pick-Me-Up's they all worked pretty well:)

It’s okay to have those moments. I’ve had many in the past year, but it’s so incredibly important to be able to recognize all the good things that happen also and treasure them.
I hope I meet you at a launch someday. Don’t let your medical prognosis get you down. Miracles happen.

Steve Shannon

Wishing you all the best and a full recovery from across the Pond. Always follow your builds. If a complete stranger's good vibes count for anything, you've got them. All power to you, keep fighting.

Just saw this thread...it sounds like you are going through a rough spot, and for legitimate reasons. I know it sounds silly to others, but, 69 isn't that old! Well, maybe to somebody in their 20's & 30's, but I've always been amazed at how, even though my body's odometer turns over another 10,000 miles (kids won't get that reference), my mind feels just as young as ever. i think mentally I'm always going to feel 14 years old.

I hope you can find a project worth doing, that occupies you in a good way! One of the projects I have been gearing up for (but keeps getting pushed pack) was digging up old catalogs and making micro-maxx versions of all the rockets I had or wanted to fly when I was a kid. Not sure if that was something you hadn't done yet (you've done a lot!) or something that you would find interesting. The Falcon Heavy looks like a really neat project!

Hey Micro,

Sending positive thoughts your way. I launched my very first MicroMaxx this weekend at our club “ March MicroMaxx Madness” launch (and I’ve been flying for 40+ years). We all had a great time, and gained a new appreciation of the challenges in Micro rocketry. Our club Micro expert put up a two stager, which was particularly cool. Of at least 25 launches, all were recovered except a Mosquito downscale. We did not have good success lighting Micro clusters.

I like the idea of a Micro Falcon Heavy, and look forward to seeing your progress if you decide to build one.

Dear Micro,

It was seeing an MMX starter set in Munich 2006 that got me into model rocketry, living in the UK I was not originally able to get any motors but can now get them from Klima in Germany. Micromeister, you models and posts are an inspiration to me and I am sorry you are unwell. Having had a few troubles igniting the motors I thought you would like to see my first attempt using your 'ball of wadding' technique. First time I have lit an MMX at the first attempt with an ignitor.
https://youtu.be/X_w8lNUiVvU

Thanks Guys:
I've started the drawing for the Falcon Heavy using T3 tubing as the main and booster bodies. looks like part of the payload bay will be BT-20 with a custom turned nose cone along with both boosters. haven't yet decided on Basswood or balsa for these cones. the Landing legs are going to be folded cardstock with some internal reinforcement. Clear .020 or .030" Lexan will make up the fin units but have not decided the exact planform yet. The work has begun I'll keep you guts posted at I get into the actual build in the coming days or weeks depending on energy level.

Outstanding Video Andy! It's great to hear that the Old wadding ball and tape trick is still working LOL! It's actually originally from the way we HAD to install igniters back in the dark age 60's:)

On a not so happy note; the biopsy pathology report was not as good as expected. My Prostate Cancer has in fact spread to my Lymph system. I'm awaiting word from NIH about a clinical trial my oncologist is recommending. Apparently he & the Oncologist at NIH think I'm some sort of medical marvel??? as the other meds i've been on should have prevented this type of spread. We'll just have to see what the NIH pros have to say in the next week or so. Like I mentioned before always seems like 1 step forward and 3 steps back.
Keeping busy and keeping the faith Helps alot.

Sincere thanks for all the good thoughts & prayers guys, I can use them.

Bummer about the biopsy, Micro. I hope the docs are able to figure something out. And I look forward to seeing progress on your Falcon Heavy.

I understand how hard it is to look for inspiration that will be bring us to think differently. Great craftmanship and I'm sure you will reach far due to it.

Such a Month I'm having!
Sorry for not being more in touch over the last month or so but I've had some awful health set-backs starting April 24th. The Latest CT & bone scans showed a mass growing just inside the opening to my bladder. We immediately scheduled surgery for the next morning to have it removed and biopsied. As it turns out it also is connected to my vary aggressive prostate cancer. So the intented NIH study had to be scrapped and another way found to combat this nasty PSA flooting around in my lower body.
After the mass was removed the constant urine flow over the patch has kept the injury bleeding through the catheter for about two weeks. On Monday May 7th I was having a tough time climbing the stairs in my house. That morning coming down stairs I couldn't catch my breath and felt like I was going to pass out. The better two thirds jumped on the phone to our Kaiser help nurse who sent me directly to urgent care. While there my blood count was so low (6) that I was rushed to Another hospital to get a blood transfustion. While in PG hospital I got 5 pts of blood over two days. The Doctors told me had I not come in on Monday I would not have seen Tuesday! My blood count was so low my heart wasn't getting oxygen which caused a minor heart attack that slightly damaged the lower end of my heart. The cartologist did extensive testing and survyed my heart to get a picture of my condition (all the while I'm still bleeding from the bladder). The Heart Doctors finally agreed the heart condition was a direct result of the lack of blood and OK'ed me for a surgery to cauterize the bladder tissue. This kept me in the hospial another week while they tried to get a blood cloot in my right leg to desolve and put a block in to keep any fragments from reaching my lungs. I was released and went home with another catheter in the bladder. On the second day home...I was really backed up from all the drugs I've been given and pushed a little to hard in the bathroom which opened the bladder wound again. Two days later I was back in the hospital for another 3 pints transfusion. After 3 days of saline solution irrigation of the bladder the urologiest told me I had two options.. A) have the bladder removed. B) have tubes inserted in both kidneys leading to external bags that would redirect the urine flow and allowing the bladder to heal naturally. I chose B. After another 3 days they finally relased me yesterday with a couple more office visits tomorrow and thrusday.
In the mean time I also had a Chemo port installed in my chest to start an aggressive chemo theropy session on May 24th.. The first infustion seems to have gone OK with just a little nausea on friday.

As I set here at my Laptop this evening I'm feeling fairly well (other then all the IV holes everywhere:) The next couple days will tell me if the bladder bleeding problem has been solved or if more surgery is going to be necessary????? Heart is Fine for now, completely stable with proper blood flow. I'm hoping to get back to actually doing some drawing work in the next few days but this last month as drained me of most of my strength. We had to install a chair lift between the living room and upstairs but I don't have room for one at the moment going down to the Mod-Rod Dungeon so I'll not be doing much building in the next few weeks while I try to get my walking strength back.
Hopefully with my next Chemo treatment June 14th I'll have a little better grasp on how the Cancer treatment is being fought.
That's it for now. I'll try to keep you guy's informed as this thing goes along.

Last edited:
Wow, Micro!
I'm sorry to see this. Nobody should have to go through it.
We've had disagreements in the past, that's in the past.
I wish you and yours the best and a strong recovery.

Micro,

I'll pray for your improved health and recovery.

All the best,
Fred

Such a Month I'm having!
Sorry for not being more in touch over the last month or so but I've had some awful health set-backs starting April 24th. The Latest CT & bone scans showed a mass growing just inside the opening to my bladder. We immediately scheduled surgery for the next morning to have it removed and biopsied. As it turns out it also is connected to my vary aggressive prostate cancer. So the intented NIH study had to be scrapped and another way found to combat this nasty PSA flooting around in my lower body.
After the mass was removed the constant urine flow over the patch has kept the injury bleeding through the catheter for about two weeks. On Monday May 7th I was having a tough time climbing the stairs in my house. That morning coming down stairs I couldn't catch my breath and felt like I was going to pass out. The better two thirds jumped on the phone to our Kaiser help nurse who sent me directly to urgent care. While there my blood count was so low (6) that I was rushed to Another hospital to get a blood transfustion. While in PG hospital I got 5 pts of blood over two days. The Doctors told me had I not come in on Monday I would not have seen Tuesday! My blood count was so low my heart wasn't getting oxygen which caused a minor heart attack that slightly damaged the lower end of my heart. The cartologist did extensive testing and survyed my heart to get a picture of my condition (all the while I'm still bleeding from the bladder). The Heart Doctors finally agreed the heart condition was a direct result of the lack of blood and OK'ed me for a surgery to cauterize the bladder tissue. This kept me in the hospial another week while they tried to get a blood cloot in my right leg to desolve and put a block in to keep any fragments from reaching my lungs. I was released and went home with another catheter in the bladder. On the second day home...I was really backed up from all the drugs I've been given and pushed a little to hard in the bathroom which opened the bladder wound again. Two days later I was back in the hospital for another 3 pints transfusion. After 3 days of saline solution irrigation of the bladder the urologiest told me I had two options.. A) have the bladder removed. B) have tubes inserted in both kidneys leading to external bags that would redirect the urine flow and allowing the bladder to heal naturally. I chose B. After another 3 days they finally relased me yesterday with a couple more office visits tomorrow and thrusday.
In the mean time I also had a Chemo port installed in my chest to start an aggressive chemo theropy session on May 24th.. The first infustion seems to have gone OK with just a little nausea on friday.

As I set here at my Laptop this evening I'm feeling fairly well (other then all the IV holes everywhere:) The next couple days will tell me if the bladder bleeding problem has been solved or if more surgery is going to be necessary????? Heart is Fine for now, completely stable with proper blood flow. I'm hoping to get back to actually doing some drawing work in the next few days but this last month as drained me of most of my strength. We had to install a chair lift between the living room and upstairs but I don't have room for one at the moment going down to the Mod-Rod Dungeon so I'll not be doing much building in the next few weeks while I try to get my walking strength back.
Hopefully with my next Chemo treatment June 14th I'll have a little better grasp on how the Cancer treatment is being fought.
That's it for now. I'll try to keep you guy's informed as this thing goes along.

Back