DIY dihedral jig

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dihedral Jig pic.jpg

Hi All, just thought I'd pass along this handy DIY dihedral jig idea so you can fabricate one of your own
for glider builds. It's a fast easy project that shouldn't take you much more than a half hour and only
requires a ruler and hobby knife.

It's not my design, Brad from the Nighthawk Gliders channel on youtube made one for himself for his
balsa chuck glider builds. I built mine from 1/4" balsa sticks glued together but you can use whatever
you have handy.

I just followed his dimensions: 3" tall in the center, and on one side the lowest step is 1/2" tall, and
each step goes up in 1/4" increments. On the other side the 1st step is 3/8" and each additional step
increases by 1/4". That gives a nice range from 1/2" to 3". So much easier than trying to find stuff to
stack to get the dihedral angle correct when sanding or gluing wing roots.

Below is a pic of all the dimensions to make it even easier to get started. After I finished mine I
realized that I could have glued one side on at a right angle so that the jig is self standing. You might
want to do that as well or change the step increments to suit your needs. Happy flying!

Dihedral Jig dimesions and layout.jpg

Back