Apogee Orion First Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klatuso

Reaction score
Here's the first Launch of my Orion. Happy with the build. With an Estes 24mm D12-7 you can see that the post burn coasting phase it goes horizontal and then then it seems like a delay with the ejection charge only feet from the ground. Luckily the parachute deployed flawlessly and there was no damage to the rocket. My thought is that the fins somehow threw it off course. There was no wind whatsoever. If you have a theory about how it took off so straight and then went off course while coasting...and why a 7 second delay seemed to take too long let's consider it.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO1B1ScJiirZHWAnmkOKUhhYCdRfOLt9L31D2ID

Hopefully you can click on the link and it will play. If not let me know. (First time I have posted video to a forum.)

The actual launch doesn't happen until 2:54 minutes into the vid. So for those impatient, go there.

Hmm...when I click on it I don't. I was afraid that would happen. Any suggestions how to post vids?

I got a prompt to log on to google, then got a 404 file not found error. while it may not be the best...have you considered YouTube?
Rex

I get the Google sign-in prompt as well when I click your link. But I'm going to make a couple of guesses based on your description of the flight anyway. The Orion is a spaceplane-style design. The stubby wings are cool but they add a little more drag than a conventional 3 or 4 fin model. Whether or not you felt anything on the ground, or what the weather girl said that day, winds at altitude may have been a whole different story.
So I think the D12-7 was the wrong choice of motor because a 7 second delay was too long for that rocket on that day. Once acceleration stopped the model started weather-cocking and gravity did it's thing. I'm curious why you chose a motor designed for the upper stage of a multi-stage rocket for this model. It's not in the recommended list on the Apogee website. As for winds aloft, many rocketeers will launch an "Alpha with an A" first to get a read on wind strength and direction. A light-weight model, low impulse motor, and parachute recovery will give you a good idea of what's going on 150-200 feet up and the direction of your recovery zone.
Anyway that's my story, looking forward to seeing the video.

Try now: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nvaDk8DH1u8RUUm13

The engine was originally purposed for the Apogee Aspire rated on that rocket to 1,444 feet. So, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, so to speak. I put the D12-7 in the Orion because that is what was in my kit. Interestingly, the initial impulse took it straight as an arrow. I launched two smaller rockets straight up and straight down, both higher than the Orion. However, there can always be a gust of wind up there you can't see.

Ok very good. Yep, nice calm day. No wind noise at all in the video. And I saw no wind affect on that flight. The stubby wings may have influenced the direction of flight a bit, compared to the Aspire.

The engine was originally purposed for the Apogee Aspire rated on that rocket to 1,444 feet. So, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, so to speak.

Except in rocketry ! :) The Aspire is lighter and has less drag than the Orion. The D12 provides the same accel for both rockets. The Aspire will go higher and need more time before recovery deployment because of it's design. At 5 seconds it's still going up with enough speed to rip out shroud lines or separate the nose cone from the shock cord. The additional 2 seconds allows more time for gravity to work. The rocket slows and just starts to begin it's decent to earth. That's the ideal time to deploy the parachute. With the Orion, the additional time allowed the heavier, draggier rocket to slow, begin it's decent, and start to to pick up speed at 32ft/s/s. So you had a "late" deployment on that flight. Luckily the parachute and shock cord held together.

I put the D12-7 in the Orion because that is what was in my kit. Interestingly, the initial impulse took it straight as an arrow. I launched two smaller rockets straight up and straight down, both higher than the Orion. However, there can always be a gust of wind up there you can't see.

They make motors with different delays so you can choose the one that will deploy the recovery system as close to apogee as possible for each particular rocket. One size does not fit all. As you get more experience flying different rockets you will get better at making that determination. But it's always a good idea to follow the manufacturers recommendations until you do. :)

[edit] Really nice finish on the Orion.

Every launch is a learning experience. I'm grateful the chute deployed and the rocket was recovered with no damage at all. Next flight I will use an engine rated for the Orion with a shorter delay. Your comments are right on target. Thank you!

Back