Looking for High Power Altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickcodybarrett

Reaction score
I'm working on a project relating to Derek Deville's Qu8k rocket. High Altitude. Does anybody have any clue what he used to record his altitude? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Nick

It was accel. plus time-of-flight calced. Marc Devits or Derek could tell you more, but I can't help you find them.

In the link there is not a list but what was used is in the text. They had issues with most of the GPS equipment.
Could you give details on your project? Aren't you 17, where/how are you planning to launch?

M

There's a big field in Louisiana. I'll probably be using a custom Unistrut launch pad like he did so I'll have a straight launch. I'm think of using a Candy and Black powder fuel grain with rust powder sprinkled on top of it all. I'll probably try lot's of different sample and collect data off their performance. I'm using a fiberglass body. 12" diameter, about 13' long. I want to use a pneumatic cylinder for recovery like he did but maybe a different method. I'll put 2 gopros in there. One in the nose cone to record ejection, and the other in the e-bay section facing outward. The motor will be 10" x 48" in size.

If you are launching under Tripoli rules (NAR does not do research motors) black powder motor grains are not permitted.

TRA. No Black Powder or Candy motors. APCP is the ticket.

Actually certain kinds of rocket candy/sugar motors are allowable by TRA. Derek's motor was an APCP motor.

However, the comment by the OP "Candy and Black powder fuel grain with rust powder sprinkled on top of it all" makes me very concerned about his motor construction. Also, home made/EX black powder fuel grains are not allowed by TRA.

Last edited:
Actually certain kinds of rocket candy/sugar motors are allowable by TRA. Derek's motor was an APCP motor.

However, the comment by the OP "Candy and Black powder fuel grain with rust powder sprinkled on top of it all" makes me very concerned about his motor construction. Also, home made/EX black powder fuel grains are not allowed by TRA.

Some dorks lugged a twelve feet tall rocket out to Utah Hellfire22. It was a sugar fuel rocket at NAR with custom fuel grains. They flew it on a sport launch day when I and some other teams were doing a separate student launches. The sugar fuel grain went flaming into the air. Guessing guy had his L-2 or 3?? They slept in a motel room next to ours and I dunno why it concerned us. They had a car full of flammable sugar. We thought they had a cool rocket until it exploded. Aft closure was secured with bolts and did not fail. The forward closure did fail. No one was injuried.

If I were you I'd get a FCC tech license. It's useful for radio beacons and GPS/RDF rocketry transcievers. You get more bandwidth and range for money.

You have found nothing at all on the electronics?
Just tell me why a Raven 3 and a TeleMega/TeleGPS or Aim Xtra won't solve his issues. You can even ground power and vehicle mount a yagi if you wanna cook birds on your car roof Lol.

Just tell me why a Raven 3 and a TeleMega/TeleGPS or Aim Xtra won't solve his issues. You can even ground power and vehicle mount a yagi if you wanna cook birds on your car roof Lol.
These are proposed solutions to problems OP does not yet have.

By answering you both, I hope to help you learn to read for contemplation, not completion.

Back