Vintage Estes picts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachSteve

Reaction score
There might already be a thread on this, if there is maybe we can merge the 2.

I thought it would be cool to see what you all have in your stable that falls into the category of "vintage"
You know, no longer made, super hard to find, crazy expensive if you do find one :)

I have an original Star Wars X-Wing fighter Kit # 1422
My dad and I built it when I was 14 (yes 34 years ago)
It has flown 3 or 4 times and been repaired 3 or 4 times
Here it is today - retired but still in my possession :)

This isn't a rocket, but I have an iron on transfer that has to be from the mid 80's. Must be rare because I didn't even see it in an image search. I did a flip flop on it so it could be read.

Estes Iron On.jpg

IMG_20180216_080250.jpgPicked this up from a small online toy shop about a year ago. The Estes Screaming Eagle. Long OOP, it must have been gathering dust in their inventory for years.

That x-wing is AWESOME. The fact that you saved it from your first go-around with this hobby is even better. I wish I could say the same.

There is a Galleries sub-forum here. It was created by a former moderator with the idea of providing some structure to this place and overcoming some of the search limitations. It had a rather involved indexing mechanism that proved to be maintenance black hole. He left this manifesto and quite a few sticky threads to explain his vision.

View attachment 338658

https://www.rocketryforum.com/forumdisplay.php?64-Galleries-Photo-amp-Video-Tips

I think folks still post there but the indexing function has been left to rust.

Here is my Outlander - modded for 24mm.
The hinges inside are Dubro nylon hinges (hopefully they will outlast the "tubing" the kit uses

View attachment 338657Picked this up from a small online toy shop about a year ago. The Estes Screaming Eagle. Long OOP, it must have been gathering dust in their inventory for years.

I love the Screaming eagle - there are a few on EBAY from time to time - I picked up one for my father a couple months ago, for his birthday. I think there are 4 or 5 up there right now (just in case there are any collectors out there :) )

When we get out to C.R.A.S.H this summer the "eagle' will fly. He finished it in an F-16 motif

I saved a few of my "First Fleet" rockets from the 1970's. They were salvaged by being in the apartment when Vandels broke into my storage unit and destroyed most of the fleet and launch equipment. I too stall have the Maxi X-wing Fighter still waiting for a wing reattachment, but most of the other Old First Fleet rocket have been added to my Second Fleet, refurbished and are still flying today with the exception of my original Saturn-V which I retired after 139 flights. It's now used mostly as a show piece at school and scout demo's to represent the longevity of model rockets built with Elmer's glue back in the day. Other Old but still flying kits are the 1:70th Saturn-Ib, 1: 42nd Mercury-Redstone, Colonial Viper, Goblin, Cobra-1500, Delta Star 2-stage, Star Blazer, 1:73.3 Titan II & 1:162 Space Shuttle Atlantis Stack.

001_Saturn-V 100th scale_05-17-70.jpg

002_Saturn-1b_70th_02-01-72.jpg

003d_Goblin Rebuild Complete_02-10-08.jpg

004_Mercury-Redstone 42nd Scale_01-26-73.jpg

005_Colonial Viper_04-26-79.jpg

006_Cobra 1500_04-26-79.jpg

007a3_Delta Star 2-stage 3rd rework complete_03-22-07.jpg

008_Star Blazer (Kit 0831)_05-28-83.jpg

010_ Titan II 73.3 scale_03-22-83.jpg

011_Space Shuttle Atlantis 162nd scale_03-26-86.jpg

Great collection Micromeister! - I built original Space Shuttle too - sure wish I still had that one.

Here is a picture (Slide) of my rocket collection circa April 1972.

I still have all of them. :)

Yes, it was, was a lot of fun, got to chat with a lot of nice folks, talked a lot with John Pursley and Dave Shaefer, saw some neat presentations, behind the scenes talk on the Saturn V conservation was very interesting.

These look classic. I assume this is at NARCON. I wish I was there.

Back