Steampunk V2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachSteve

Reaction score
So, I thought I would try my hand at Steampunk motif.
I had seen a fantastic steampunk V2 and some forward motor mounted motor designs on line so I thought, lets see if we can pull off both.

This is an Estes V2 kit 3228
4 - 18mm forward mounted engine tubes
Rear chute deployment
Steampunk

The maiden voyage, 2 engine on one side ignited well before the other 2 causing a very erratic flight that went nearly horizontal. The chute deployed and landed without a scratch though so we will give it a go again another day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v9vC7I_D1k&feature=youtu.be

Very cool. A good flight is just an ignition issue! Good thing you got it back undamaged. Very few machines invented by man have most of the parts on the outside.

Why waste a good spot in the back of the rocket where the motor should go???Because you can and the canted motors are cool!

Probably no good, stinking, performance robbing nose weight needed in that V2!

That saw blade on the nose cone above four mid canted motors sure puts the SCARE in me!:y:

That is...again...awesome. I love the gears. Where did you get them? I hope you have a bunch more like these...you're making TRF interesting to me again.

the gears are a sample "wood gears" pack off of ebay - I have tons leftover
the rest is card stock and other various bits of stuff
the rivets are adhesive wedding invite "pearls" :)

Additional build note on the V2 - the top ring of rivets are functional 3mm hex bolts. I can remove them to pull the nose off to access the innards if needed. And yes the piping that bridges the body tube and the nose is sleeved as well so the nose could be removed.
All the piping is made from paper straws :)

Here is a pict of This guy next to a traditional V2 I built prior to going the Steampunk rout. I liked the atrabutes of the V2 kit so much I had to build it again - only wild

Last edited:
I like this very much. I think all of the builds I have seen from are pretty sweet.
Just so you know, I am definitely using this as inspiration to build a very similar rocket. When I clear out some of the builds I have now.

Have you ever considered selling your finished rockets?
Thanks for the compliment - I build them to send them up :). My stable is getting pretty full - if i do ever decide to sell off some, I will be sure to announce on this forum for sure. I am not sure I would hold my breath though, I get kind of attached :)

The first launch suffered from "new" Estes igniters and 2 engines on one side lit a good bit before the 2 others causing some crazy corkscrewing on the rod then a 45' to vertical flight 30 feet off the ground- followed by successful deployment and soft landing - It was a bit stressful (lots of work in the steampunk bits :) ) it will fly again though, this time with the old school black tipped Estes igniters I still have

Back