Fixing nick in AT fin leading beveled edge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OC_Rocket_Man

Reaction score
I have an old AT Initiator that I am going to clean up and get flying again.

The leading beveled edge of a fin has a nick in it. Small but noticeable.

What's the best way to fill the nick to make it pretty again? Can I use a little glob of CWF and sand to shape?

20180215_142112 (002).jpg

+1 on the CA impregnation bradycros suggested. I would sand it roughly to shape first, then final sand after the CA.

Also, I've found that paint pens can be used to coat such repairs, reducing the need to respray in some cases. They come in various thicknesses. I have several colors, but white, black, and red get a lot of use. A few coats of white paint pen, and you might be good to go.

Here's one example, though there are lots of other colors and pen point styles:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018N62SW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a product that will fill anything, try a can of Bondo. Not the Spot Putty, but the can of resin used in body repair. I had tips of plywood fins get crunched (“smooshed” is the description that might best describe the injury ...). I needed to form a new, sharp-edged tip, and using regular epoxy would have been harder to use, and have it keep its shape.

The Bondo dries really fast, like in a minute or so it becomes difficult to do any additional forming. But this is maybe it’s best feature. Mold it by hand and it will keep its shape with hardly any wait. And that means no sagging. It seems to bond to anything. My daughter has an old mid century modern laminate sideboard. It had cracks and voids in the laminate. I fixed it with Bondo. It sanded pretty well. We then sanded the whole piece, and she primered, and painted it. Looks like it never was repaired.

Latest posts

Back