Fishing tackle for parachute attachment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrichhcirm

Reaction score
Lots of guys use snap swivels. I've become a convert to split rings--big enough to loop an elastic shock cord thru, but small enough to not restrict space in the tube.

Lots of guys use snap swivels. I've become a convert to split rings--big enough to loop an elastic shock cord thru, but small enough to not restrict space in the tube.

The two are not mutually exclusive:
1). split rings provide good attachment points for many things: swivels, quick-links, etc.
2). swivels (with solid rings, or not) are great for minimize parachute tangling
3). finishing barrel swivel snap interlocks combine 1 & 2 above, and work well enough for smaller/lighter rockets.

In the past, I've bought all of the above, in different sizes, from either rocketry-dedicated vendors, or eBay sellers.
https://stores.ebay.com/drfishstore/

a

If using a snap swivel, I like the ones that have the 90* end to the snap to mitigate straightening.

BallBearingSwivel.jpg

If using a snap swivel, I like the ones that have the 90* end to the snap to mitigate straightening.

BallBearingSwivel.jpg

+1 on the 90 deg bend! Also the ball bearing swivel pictured.

My only comment is that swivels on chutes are rarely needed. It's the fincan that tends to spin while falling, not the whole rocket under the chute. A ball bearing swivel on on the fincan can do wonders.

The two are not mutually exclusive:
1). split rings provide good attachment points for many things: swivels, quick-links, etc.
2). swivels (with solid rings, or not) are great for minimize parachute tangling
3). finishing barrel swivel snap interlocks combine 1 & 2 above, and work well enough for smaller/lighter rockets.

In the past, I've bought all of the above, in different sizes, from either rocketry-dedicated vendors, or eBay sellers.
https://stores.ebay.com/drfishstore/

a

Yep. I like option 3: it's good to have a big swivel but the snap hooks tend to get too big.

Back