2.25 upscale of Estes SR-71 scratch build (pict heavy)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachSteve

Reaction score
As the title says, I had some LOC 2.14 and BT-70 tubes lying around and i thought to myself, how cool would it be to replicate the iconic Estes SR71 Blackbird but 2.25 times larger.
So I got out my calipers and began scaling up every measurement.
The rocket has not been up yet as I just completed it a month ago (total build took many many months)
Single stage single deploy (just like the original) 29mm motor size
hope you enjoy my crazy :)

Very nice. It's been one of my favorite planes ever since I watched it take off from one of my bases during my AF career. I've built and flown the Estes version.

Whoa, very very nice. I'd love to hear some more detailed commentary about how you laid that ginormous piece of... paper? poster board? over the whole body + wings.

The "skin" is actually 3M full sheet label paper.
I first stuck the full sheet to the center tube, wrapped the non sticky side edge up around a 4" tube and "rolled the decal down until contact was made with the balsa.
This gave me a perfect curve the full length of the tube (34" or so)
I then stuck a second layer of full page label paper offsetting the seams by 50%
The edges were then trimmed.
Finally the entire "skin" was coated with CA glue - giving it rigidity

I first stuck the full sheet to the center tube, wrapped the non sticky side edge up around a 4" tube and "rolled the decal down until contact was made with the balsa.
I then stuck a second layer of full page label paper offsetting the seams by 50%
Excellent technique.

Cool model, Coach! Your nose cone chine solution is impressive. Obviously, all of your building has been piling up for a break-out here on TRF. Very impressive. What is the SR-71 going to fly on? What are you using to mold the nose cone?

Last edited:

Nifty. I'm a label paper user but never would have thought of using it like that. Will have to consider that for the future.

I dare not imagine the amount of CA fumes covering that whole thing would generate. :eyepop:

Cool model, Coach! Your nose cone chine solution is impressive. Obviously, all of your building has been piling up for a break-out here on TRF. Very impressive. What is the SR-71 going to fly on? What are you using to mold the nose cone?

thanks for the kind words - and yes, I have been dying to share - glad I found you guys.
The SR maiden voyage will be a G53-5FJ
Open rocket says that should do well for a first go.

The nose cone was completely hand sanded from wood filler over the balsa

I don't usually get nervous about the possibility of one of my rockets crashing - this one is giving me pause though - lots of hours in there
But - it will go up, that's why I build them :)

This is simply incredible. The technique with the label paper is genius.

Smoke trails are a GREAT idea! - Hmm wonder what would really produce some smoke

Just be very naughty and plug a C6-0 18mm, or an F15-0 29mm, or use a D11 P or plug a D12-0 24mm. Mate them with white lightning or maybe all BP if the weight issue works out with a cluster. The Estes cluster model is a real easy modification and fun to fly. Need to have the nose cone somewhat tight to avoid drag separation. Likes the high, dry air of Colorado.

Wow, this is amazing! I just finished reading "SR-71 Revealed: The Inside Story" by Richard H. Graham, lots of interesting stories.

Where do you fly in CO? Would love to see this! There's a CRASH launch in Lakewood this Saturday! https://www.crashonline.org/

Wow, this is amazing! I just finished reading "SR-71 Revealed: The Inside Story" by Richard H. Graham, lots of interesting stories.

Where do you fly in CO? Would love to see this! There's a CRASH launch in Lakewood this Saturday! https://www.crashonline.org/

If the SR is there I am there DUDE! Looks like some snow is falling so they may allow a first flight with a little moister on the ground. It will be sweet on a G53 fast jack!

I wont be there this Saturday for sure - going up to Ft Collins to see my kids (CSU students)
I will get out to CRASH this summer for sure though - right up the street from me :)

Very cool build. Thx for sharing. The Sr-71 is one of my fav "Black Ships", along with X-15, F-117 and F-19 (Fictional aircraft).

And welcome to TRF.

It was quite the ambitious undertaking for sure - by far the most complicated build I have ever done. There are guys on this forum (especially in the High Power area) that make this look like a level one kit, hats off to those guys.
But for me this was quite a masterpiece - sure hope it all goes as planned on launch day :)

Not ye, unfortunately - the C.R.A.S.H club I will fly with here in Colorado has been under a Fire ban All summer - maybe this weekend - we will see

Back