Classic Cartoon rocket Scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachSteve

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum (this is my second scratch build post) so I thought I would share some of my builds with people who truly appreciate the thrill of hurling hand made objects high into the sky, with the skill to recover them to do it again :).
I look forward to seeing everything you all talk about and hopefully sharing some of my experience (and mistakes) with being an amateur rocket fanatic for 40+ years.

Here is a vision that I have had for quite some time, build a rocket that resembles the cartoon style rockets we all saw growing up.
What we have here is a dual 4" nose cone rocket (no body tube at all).
The actual nose is a 9" heavy weight 4" cone (thicker lip).
The boat tail is a 14" light weight nose cone with the entire shoulder cut off.
The boat tail slid right over the shoulder of the heavy weight cone.
All accents (door, vent, rivet strips, windows and window trim) were 3D prints by my son (big thanks there).
Fins are G10 capped with standard Estes b-20 goodies.
A heavy walled 24mm engine tube extends all the way to the tip of the nose cone (separating at the seam of the body cones)
The parachute sits beside the engine tube between 2 centering rings (each about 3 inches inside the boat tail and one inch inside the nose)

This one flew perfect and straight on a F39-6 Reload - it was truly a great launch.

Last edited:
Ok... So, CoachSteve, you've been a member for two days, and already have 46 posts... They're on topic (not spam)... And you have photos of AWESOME self-designed rockets.

WELL DONE!!! Welcome! I can't wait to see what else you've got to share with us.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

I owe it to you all! - the warm welcome and the way this forum doesn't bash folks for their ideas or questions is a refreshing change from most other forums. This is my first group in the field of rocketry and I must say, I really like it here :)

Superb work! Right off the pages of Tom Corbett, Space Cadet! I see a couple of V2 kit bashes coming up based on the 1950s sci-fi pages as soon as I get done with the other three on the bench.

The_Adventures_of_Tintin_-_16_-_Destination_Moon.jpg

kind of reminds me of the TinTin rocket.

Coach Steve-Excellent job! Jules Vern would be envious-congratulations.

Fred,L2
member ICBM,
Camden, S.C.

Last edited:
I have a couple of V2 kits that the furry kids essentially destroyed but I've kept to cobble together a rocket or two based on a number of sci-fi rockets

wally_wood_style_rocketship_on_1950s_mars_by_paul_lloyd-daf5o58.jpg

mars_1950s_by_paul_lloyd-d8tm64h.jpg

retro_vintage_sci_fi_space_rocket_to_the_moon_postcard-r14952a939a8f4fefb6828b3db61d7d93_vgbaq_8.jpg

Back