I am Worried About Estes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Estes only puts out so many products a year period. Some years more then others. I have no problem keeping up with designing the new products needed each year.

John Boren

Boy, some of you sure worry about things you have No Control over. I work at Estes and I have No Control over what is happening since Hobbico went Chapter 11 and I bet I worry less then some of you. I just read a bunch of these posts. One post worried about there only being one designer at Estes. Well it's been that way for about 8 years now. I've created probably 70% of the stuff in the Estes Catalog and tons more stuff you will never see or haven't seen yet; so I wouldn't worry about there being only one designer. I'm quite sure Estes will be around for many years to come. It will most likely be under new ownership because of the Chapter 11 but it will still be here. Hopefully will all know more in the up coming weeks\months.

John Boren
The one and only Estes R&D guy.

Thanks for adding your perspective here. Hoping for the best outcome for yourself and all the folks at Estes.

But, begging your pardon, I want to get real here.

The mild mannered Estes R&D guy may have no control but I think it's time for The Chief Designer to take some steps in this extraordinary situation. Yes, I know who you really are, I've been watching the signs and signals and reading the writing on the wall for years.
First thing to do is get the motor distribution mess in the Twin Cities sorted out for the sake of the worried OP.
Then get over to the courthouse in Delaware and give the lawyers some motivation to expedite all the legal drama. Just tell the judge you got Vern Estes and Lee Piester lined up to buy the company and be done with it.
The TRFers and rocketeers everywhere will be eternally greatful for your help. Thanks
:wink::wink::wink:

p.s. Almost forgot, B14s, bring back B14s

p.p.s. And fix all kit instructions. Get rid of those !@#$% international hieroglyphics !

:blush:

You really need instructions after all these years? :tongue:

I certainly do, more so as each year passes. And I constantly remind folks, and sometimes myself, to RTFM! I know you know what that means. :)

There ARE other countries, you know...

James

I do know that James, thanks. I should explain that everything in my post after the first two sentences should be read with the same tongue-in-cheek spirit that it was written in. I try to use the winky icon to convey sarcasm in my posts. Perhaps I didn't use enough in this one. It also came to my attention recently that posts look different when viewing this place on mobile devices.

Thanks for adding your perspective here. Hoping for the best outcome for yourself and all the folks at Estes.

[SARCASM] But, begging your pardon, I want to get real here.

The mild mannered Estes R&D guy may have no control but I think it's time for The Chief Designer to take some steps in this extraordinary situation. Yes, I know who you really are, I've been watching the signs and signals and reading the writing on the wall for years.
First thing to do is get the motor distribution mess in the Twin Cities sorted out for the sake of the worried OP.
Then get over to the courthouse in Delaware and give the lawyers some motivation to expedite all the legal drama. Just tell the judge you got Vern Estes and Lee Piester lined up to buy the company and be done with it.
The TRFers and rocketeers everywhere will be eternally greatful for your help. Thanks
:wink::wink::wink:

p.s. Almost forgot, B14s, bring back B14s

p.p.s. And fix all kit instructions. Get rid of those !@#$% international hieroglyphics !

:blush: [/SARCASM]

Adding to this, what happened to the Pro Series E2X rockets? Maybe it is because Estes is no longer building motors to support them???

I love this hobby but I think certain people need to wake up and realize that this great hobby is headed for big changes.

Adding to this, what happened to the Pro Series E2X rockets? Maybe it is because Estes is no longer building motors to support them???

I love this hobby but I think certain people need to wake up and realize that this great hobby is headed for big changes.
Estes never made the APCP motors, those were all re-branded Aerotech motors. That being the case the heavier PSII models were dropped as they didn't perform as well with the E and F BP motors.

PSII models were dropped as they didn't perform as well with the E and F BP motors.

This isn't why they were dropped.

John Boren

This was probably already mentioned, but I would like to point out that Estes just released a new Pro Series II kit, a re-do of the Super Big Bertha. Recommended engines are the E16-4 and F15-6. So what can be inferred from that goes counter to your logic.

Unlike the 13mm, 18mm and 24mm BP motors the 29mm BP motors made by Estes are not fully made by machines.
There are several steps where humans have to become involved in the production of these motors.
Humans have to take breaks, have sick days, only work an 8 hour day, etc.

When the E16/F15 motors were first released, Estes was not prepared for their popularity and were behind on production of these motors for several months.

I know what this is like.
When I worked at AeroTech I sometimes referred to myself as "Motor Making Machine Number Six". :wink:

Trust me, I hope everything is OK at Estes. I have a great deal of time and money invested in LPR and to a lesser degree MPR. I am looking forward to another season of flying. Currently I have about a dozen rockets in my build pile. I need to purchase a boatload of B through D engines.

Obviously some people are not reading the writing on the wall the same way I am. We are all entitled to our opinions. The next few months could be very interesting.

Nice to hear from the "one and only designer" however in my experience employees are usually the last to know about bad news for the company. Maybe the one and only designer could tell us what really happened to the Pro Series E2X rockets???

I started this thread to vent some concerns I have based on clear and obvious evidence. Once again, I have a enough rocket kits to last for the rest of my lifetime. However I buy $2,000 per year worth of B through D engines and I would like to know that they will remain easily available and reasonably affordable.

I am extremely disappointed that some people decided to take my concerns to a personal (and childish) level. I was hoping for better from this group.

I am extremely disappointed that some people decided to take my concerns to a personal (and childish) level. I was hoping for better from this group.

Next time don't call everyone who disagrees with you naive and maybe you'll get more respect.

When Estes was spun out of the the Damon conglomerate, I had a chance to see some high level financial statements. When I took the opportunity to the head of the venture capital group at the bank I worked for, he asked "Are these margins real?". I replied, yes. "Somebody's going to pay a lot of money for this company."

Undoubtedly things have changed since the 1990's but I'll wager an adult beverage of your choosing that the underlying business and financial model for Estes is fundamentally the same. Given that the business is profitable, someone will buy the company and keep it in business, and the bankruptcy court will make sure of that.

Economics is economics and unless someone provides me with compelling evidence that the business is running at a loss, I don't intend to spend a second of time worrying about whether there will be black powder engines for my rockets.

The issue for Estes right now is that Hobbico does not want to break up the band. They did not want to sell Estes by itself even though they had an offer. So until a buyer wants the whole corporation, we will have to wait and see.

Chas

Maybe the one and only designer could tell us what really happened to the Pro Series E2X rockets???

Rest assured that business decisions made by a privately held firm are none of our damn business.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back