Grumble gasline maintenance

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
got a note from the gas Co. saying that they would be replacing gas lines...my initial thoughts were; there goes the driveway & phone line, again. I understand the need but it is a pain to redo them. so if I drop out for a while you'll know a possible reason. I did chat with the fone company about getting my residental line properly marked...maybe i'll get lucky and not get the phone knocked out like they did the last time they put in a gas main.
Rex

Good luck. When I had a pool dug a few years ago they marked all the utility lines and the backhoe operator still hit the power line anyway. He got fined by the county.

might be a size thing. they are putting in a new subdivision north of me (which if I understand correctly, is the direction the gas flows), planning some 200 new homes. power & light is calling it 'an upgrade'. I see that they will be using plastic pipe for this job.
Rex

This house has been here since 1972 and none of the lines have been replaced. Well, I had to have my sewer line from the house to the street repaired five years ago.

might be a size thing. they are putting in a new subdivision north of me (which if I understand correctly, is the direction the gas flows), planning some 200 new homes. power & light is calling it 'an upgrade'. I see that they will be using plastic pipe for this job.
Rex

Okay, so they are replacing the pipe in the street and not the one that connects the street to the house, right?

Again, here, the gas main and sewer lines tend to run down the middle of the street. They make an awful mess when they dig them up, but your driveway is usually safe. The street, however remains a patchwork quilt for a few years until they find the money to repave it.

the gas main runs under the end of my drive(in '93 they put a trench through it and the retaining walls, dug up the culvert and generally did a poor job of restoring everything). in the letter I got they say that the mains and service pipes are to be replaced. the highway is off limits so they have 2 choices, my side or the other side. even if they chose the other side there is a good chance they will 'find the phone line' the hard way. back then the contractor did not have a good rep for doing things neatly(fast though, but not neat). I will concede that they might have changed their ways in 25 yr.s...but I don't consider it likely.
Rex

Back