Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Help with hybrid motor

I am trying to launch my first hybrid in March. I didnít realize I needed a GSE (ground support equipment) is there a simple, basic design I can make? My club doesnít launch hybrids, Iíll be the first. Thank you for any input you give.

What brand of hybrid?

Quote Originally Posted by Aerospace_adam View Post
    I am trying to launch my first hybrid in March. I didnít realize I needed a GSE (ground support equipment) is there a simple, basic design I can make? My club doesnít launch hybrids, Iíll be the first. Thank you for any input you give.
    No, there is not. And what I mean is, there is not a simple basic SAFE design that can be easily made.

You would really need a mentor to help you understand why using the wrong grease or tape could cause both mother and flight cylinders to spontaneously disassemble your launch pad.

Contrail.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteNumber2 View Post
    What brand of hybrid?
    Contrail.

It might help if people knew where you were located.

Gerald

Quote Originally Posted by G_T View Post
    It might help if people knew where you were located.

Gerald
    Sorry Gerald didnít realize that was important Iím from West Virginia launch out of morgantown.

Contrail.
    You might want to talk to Tom at Contrail. I am sure he would help you out and get you started on the right track.
    TRA 2225
    TWA
    QCRS
    WOOSH

Sorry Gerald didn’t realize that was important I’m from West Virginia launch out of morgantown.
    It's just that perhaps someone in your area, or not too far away, has GSE and could help you out.

Gerald

Location of where you are depends if the discussion should continue and also access to rocket supplies, etc.

I have 75mm L-M Contrail motors and they are the easiest and simplest to build and fly, IMHO.
    You will need a nitrous tank 10-20 lb (depending on the size motors you are planning).
    GSE can be a simple, Long-wire firing system but it needs to have additional circuits to fill nitrous AND dump (for an aborted launch). There may be folks nearby that have the GSE setup or Doug Pratt may have a firing system for you.
    pratthobbies(at)gmail(dot)com
    Not an easy undertaking if you have never done complicated rocketry projects.

1) Although $/flight are lower for hybrids, you need to weigh the cost of the GSE vs. just start with standard solid motors and move to hybrids later.
    2) Plan your rockets around possible hybrids, i.e. make sure you have adequate length in the booster to accommodate the hybrid motor. My M- Contrail motor is 60" long!
    Happy Flying!
    Dave Alewine
    TRA 7299 L3, NAR 83701 L3
    Alexandria, VA
    Maryland Delaware-Rocketry Assoc.
    Lvl 1- AT H220--Lvl 2- AT J350--Lvl 3- AT M1297

Contrail is a mono-tube design using a Colburn valve, same as Rattworks, n'est-pas?

I used to fly Ratts. Built the GSE myself. A 10# bottle, a pair of nitrous solenoids, a pair of capacitors to help pull 'em in, a gel-cell, a switch, and a 100 foot extension cord. Fill and dump valves, controlled from 100 feet away.

Just remember... When you make the connections, oxygen and petroleum do not play well together.
    "You annoy me. Therefore, I exist."

A member on this forum, karlbaum, made my GSE for me; here are some links to a videos he made describing his GSE set-up:

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

TRA# 08705 L3

www.dragonworksrocketry.com

DragonWorks Rocketry YouTube Channel