Help with hybrid motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am trying to launch my first hybrid in March. I didn’t realize I needed a GSE (ground support equipment) is there a simple, basic design I can make? My club doesn’t launch hybrids, I’ll be the first. Thank you for any input you give.

I am trying to launch my first hybrid in March. I didn’t realize I needed a GSE (ground support equipment) is there a simple, basic design I can make? My club doesn’t launch hybrids, I’ll be the first. Thank you for any input you give.
No, there is not. And what I mean is, there is not a simple basic SAFE design that can be easily made.

You would really need a mentor to help you understand why using the wrong grease or tape could cause both mother and flight cylinders to spontaneously disassemble your launch pad.

It might help if people knew where you were located.

Gerald

Sorry Gerald didn’t realize that was important I’m from West Virginia launch out of morgantown.

It's just that perhaps someone in your area, or not too far away, has GSE and could help you out.

Gerald

Location of where you are depends if the discussion should continue and also access to rocket supplies, etc.

I have 75mm L-M Contrail motors and they are the easiest and simplest to build and fly, IMHO.
You will need a nitrous tank 10-20 lb (depending on the size motors you are planning).
GSE can be a simple, Long-wire firing system but it needs to have additional circuits to fill nitrous AND dump (for an aborted launch). There may be folks nearby that have the GSE setup or Doug Pratt may have a firing system for you.
pratthobbies(at)gmail(dot)com
Not an easy undertaking if you have never done complicated rocketry projects.

1) Although $/flight are lower for hybrids, you need to weigh the cost of the GSE vs. just start with standard solid motors and move to hybrids later.
2) Plan your rockets around possible hybrids, i.e. make sure you have adequate length in the booster to accommodate the hybrid motor. My M- Contrail motor is 60" long!
Happy Flying!

Contrail is a mono-tube design using a Colburn valve, same as Rattworks, n'est-pas?

I used to fly Ratts. Built the GSE myself. A 10# bottle, a pair of nitrous solenoids, a pair of capacitors to help pull 'em in, a gel-cell, a switch, and a 100 foot extension cord. Fill and dump valves, controlled from 100 feet away.

Just remember... When you make the connections, oxygen and petroleum do not play well together.

A member on this forum, karlbaum, made my GSE for me; here are some links to a videos he made describing his GSE set-up:

[video=youtube;vh3V2MvVK-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh3V2MvVK-w[/video]

[video=youtube;qbUNEpiYlio]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbUNEpiYlio[/video]

Back