2018 - the year of multistage awesomeness

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on an awesome flight! I saw it fly and then saw you return with the booster. I was afraid you lost the sustainer. What did you use for tracking?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Thanks. I actually retrieved the sustainer and Tom C. Was kind enough to retrieve the booster for me which was still visible from the flight line. The stack was filled from top to bottom with Egg products. I had an Eggfinder TRS in the nose set up as a back up for the main as well as tracking. I had two Quantums in the sustainer av bay for deployment/sustainer ignition and drogue back up. The booster had an Eggfinder Mini for tracking as well as another Quantum for stage separation and chute deployment used in conjunction with a JLCR. The booster flew to around 2700’ and the sustainer reached 9700’.

I'm not here to judge; just to revel. I love the hatch for your electronics bay. I added an air-start category.

Cool.
Thanks. The hatch could use some improvement either that or my skills with an exacto could use improvement. But it turned out looking pretty good. Rocket's painted, thread updated...with pictures.

Flew Estes Pro Series Nike Apache - but had some bad parameters in the Quantum, so no upper stage ignition.

Pictured with my elder son.
IMG_0107.jpg

No. It’s a scratch built using BT55 and BT60, with the electronics sitting in the transition- an oop Estes part

No. It’s a scratch built using BT55 and BT60, with the electronics sitting in the transition- an oop Estes part

Very cool. I’ve twice had issues programming my quantum. The quantum is a great product—The problems are all my fault. Both times I destroyed my sustainer. Did yours survive?

UTC Rocketmocs going for TRA record this weekend. They are building off last year two SEDS flights and our combined experience but with new members for this launch. All I can say is I picked the motors and coached the new team on stability for this year's launch. L-1 multistage full Complex I. You could call it UTC versus TRA records round two. TRA record kicked my arse last year at UROC Hellfire 22 during senior design, but we went for it. I'll try to get some pics from those on this year's trip. This isn't a competition entry. It's just for UTC senior design since SEDS is in Fall only. UTC mechanical engineer students vs TRA records.

The backstory is our first club HPR launch was a TRA record attempt in a salt flat. It's well a tradition thing now unofficially. We're the kind of dorks that need a mule kick to learn. We got low experience and bag full of ambition. Big shout out to Wildman Rocketry...

View attachment 342308

Third flight.
Igniter fired - didn’t light the AT D9
Backup drogue fired - didn’t separate the payload bay after I increased its friction fit to prevent drag separation.
Main chute charge didn’t fire - might have tried by the looks of the ematch. Surface is roughened compared to new. Maybe the 1S Lipo didn’t like the 30F temp?

[video]https://v.groupme.com/31204987/2018-04-08T05:45:34Z/4e75ee9.568x320r90.mp4[/video]
From Sunday's launch. No TRA record for UTC.

Oh man.... I have spent hours searching and trolling through the old thread pulling together info and research... THANK YOU!!! This is going to be a well used thread and deserved a STICKY!!

so... question..
Dont you need an EXTREME category before L word....
... and when does Extreme cross into the L word (probably as soon as the phrase "100K" is mentioned... even once??)

I started a new thread for mine, based on the ideas of info sharing you propose.... more info, less chatter.

In case you missed it....Charles also succeeded in an two-stage flight last week using Eggtimer Quantums in both the booster and sustainer. Here is the video of the flight. You can find the details about the process on his thread. Give the man a well-deserved cider!

[YOUTUBE]fcc1Z1k2SIQ[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Double or Nothing2

Black Powder to Black Powder 51" Staging

Successful recovery of both booster and sustainer June 9, 2018

Singed Streamer on booster, otherwise no damage.

Middle section of the booster comes off so I can fit it in the trunk of the car.DoubleOrNothing2Stack2.jpgDoubleOrNothing2Breakdown.jpgDoubleOrNothing2Tail3.jpgDoubleOrNothing2SustainerNose.jpgDoubleOrNothing2Tail.jpg

Booster Cluster. Main engine is D12-0. A8-3 goes on pod. Delay on the pod allows D12-0 to ignite the sustainer, then A8-3 pops the chute on the booster.

Three short "launch rods" fit in the forward end of the booster. These fit into holes in the sustainer centering rings, act like internal "launch lugs" to keep the sustainer in appropriate orientation relative to booster (this is a real problem on the pad, due to the length of the sustainer body tube.)

There are three "hole punch" size holes in the forward end of the booster. These are positioned just below where the sustainer engine is "nested" in the forward end of the booster. These provide a "vent" for the cool gas in the booster section to clear, so the hot gas from the D12-0 ejection can travel to the front of the sustainer at burnout. The hot glow of this gas ignites the sustainer engine.

Double or Nothing2

Black Powder to Black Powder 51" Staging

Successful recovery of both booster and sustainer June 9, 2018

Singed Streamer on booster, otherwise no damage.

Middle section of the booster comes off so I can fit it in the trunk of the car.View attachment 346091View attachment 346092View attachment 346093View attachment 346094View attachment 346095

Booster Cluster. Main engine is D12-0. A8-3 goes on pod. Delay on the pod allows D12-0 to ignite the sustainer, then A8-3 pops the chute on the booster.

Three short "launch rods" fit in the forward end of the booster. These fit into holes in the sustainer centering rings, act like internal "launch lugs" to keep the sustainer in appropriate orientation relative to booster (this is a real problem on the pad, due to the length of the sustainer body tube.)

There are three "hole punch" size holes in the forward end of the booster. These are positioned just below where the sustainer engine is "nested" in the forward end of the booster. These provide a "vent" for the cool gas in the booster section to clear, so the hot gas from the D12-0 ejection can travel to the front of the sustainer at burnout. The hot glow of this gas ignites the sustainer engine.

Similar method to how I did my SA-2 BP 2 stager, the central 24mm to 24mm gap staged with side car C6's to pop dual rear parachutes from the boosters (from behind the booster looked like 4x18mm and 1x24mm).

Nice work with a monster gap staging!

I snuck out this morning for a few more launches, including my upscale Vigilante on F15-0 to F15-8 to 1570’

IMG_0393.jpg

No wind - only way to do this one. Beautiful launch. Some recovery issues. She’ll be patched up - but maybe not flown again.

Video when I’m back on WiFi.

Last edited:
Nice flight.

Thanks Andrew.

I love the longish burn of the F15s, but it’s hard to find a rocket to put them in. I was a little overweight - 4.5:1 peak thrust to weight in what is really a very simple BT70 balsa and paper rocket. E16-0s actually do a bit better - but the F15s were on clearance at That Store, and irresistible at $4/pack.

Guess I’ll have to build a custom min-diameter job for the rest.

Back