Associations, launch sites near Paris (France)?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvoSpider

Reaction score
I have been checking the web for quite some time to find rocketry associations in France, and the main one seems to be a French branch of Tripoli.
While they do have about 4-6 events a year, the majority is really far away and it means no tests before launch.

There are some pages in French, like https://www.astromodelisme.com/initiation-et-reglementation/ that says any launch is strictly forbidden by French law. However, they may be talking about the class of rockets Tripoli association usually launches.
"Planète Sciences" seems to be the official association to promote micro (30cm) and mini (1m) rocketry. As far as I have read on their website, they mainly focus on courses for teachers and school groups. There does not seem to be anything related to amateur rocketeers.

Nearby town halls such as Nanterre and Antony list on their website requirements to get a launch permission for micro rockets. "Planète Sciences" talks only about the authorization of the landlord where the launch is scheduled.

Could a fellow rocketeer based in France give some tips? Such as: how to launch your rocket legally, is it possible to manufacture rocket motors in France, how to transport the pyrotechnical material, are there associations near Paris that have frequent events?

Good luck in finding a club and the someone who can help out with French law. That will be the most difficult part. While you may not find many of is with knowledge on that aspect of Rocketry you will find many here who are ready willing and able to answer technical questions. If you don’t have experience buildings and launching any rockets yet you might want to start with commercial motors instead of jumping right in with EX motors. I do think I have heard of motors manufactured or at least sold in Germany. I will try and find the info on these. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable in European Rocketry will come along and rescue me though.

I have been checking the web for quite some time to find rocketry associations in France, and the main one seems to be a French branch of Tripoli.
While they do have about 4-6 events a year, the majority is really far away and it means no tests before launch.

There are some pages in French, like https://www.astromodelisme.com/initiation-et-reglementation/ that says any launch is strictly forbidden by French law. However, they may be talking about the class of rockets Tripoli association usually launches.
"Planète Sciences" seems to be the official association to promote micro (30cm) and mini (1m) rocketry. As far as I have read on their website, they mainly focus on courses for teachers and school groups. There does not seem to be anything related to amateur rocketeers.

Nearby town halls such as Nanterre and Antony list on their website requirements to get a launch permission for micro rockets. "Planète Sciences" talks only about the authorization of the landlord where the launch is scheduled.

Could a fellow rocketeer based in France give some tips? Such as: how to launch your rocket legally, is it possible to manufacture rocket motors in France, how to transport the pyrotechnical material, are there associations near Paris that have frequent events?

I suggest you write to the Prefects listed for the two Prefectures in France. They will be the most knowledgeable for these questions.

The US TARC champions compete against other international teams, including French teams. So the French have something similar to our TARC competition. Clearly people are flying rockets in France. It might just take some work to find them.

Steeve, aka Crumb fire, is an active rocketeer in France and has posted several times on TRF. In the past he has responded to PMs I sent. He may be a good source for your questions.

Fred, L2
member of ICBM
Camden, S.C.
KG4YGP

Steeve, aka Crumb fire, is an active rocketeer in France and has posted several times on TRF. In the past he has responded to PMs I sent. He may be a good source for your questions.

Fred, L2
member of ICBM
Camden, S.C.
KG4YGP

Sorry, I'm from Quebec, but speak french. I did some research yesterday to help. I will send e-mails to get informations.

Back