Nose cone tip

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am trying to figure out how long the nose cone tip should be. I didn't know if there was a ratio or something to find how long the tip should be.

Maybe a picture of what you want. We still do not know what it is you are asking. Are you talking about the metal tips on FW cones that are commonly used? Maybe you can use this pic to help describe the question.

NC info.....

https://s605282183.onlinehome.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Nose-Cone-Fin-Optimization.pdf

54mm_FWFGVK_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
I am trying to figure out how long the nose cone tip should be. I didn't know if there was a ratio or something to find how long the tip should be.

It depends on the shape of the nose you want. A VK shape will have a very different tip than a conical, ogive, etc. What is the final shape you're looking for?

The nose cone tip is to ease manufacturing and so the point doesn’t break off on landing.
Make it however long you want.

M

Measure the angle of the FG cone where the tip is supposed to fit and then turn the tip with the same angle.

I believe that the separate tip is mostly due to the filament wound manufacturing process. It does allow for easy attachment of eyebolts and nose weight.

Yes, we need the tip to take on the aerodynamic heating and for structure. Mainly the heating. Max velocity ranges from 2.7 - 3.12 mach (still designing).

How long of a cone do you need ? Will it be a 4:1 , 5:1 , 6:1 , 7:1 ? If your desiging the tip to handle the heat , the length of the cone will dictate the length of the tip.

In your First thread about NC design....I gave you a PDF with all the calculations/info needed to make an informed decision.....apparently you did NOT read it...did you?

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...ones-(through-******-3)&p=1759171#post1759171

Last edited:
In your First thread about NC design....I gave you a PDF with all the calculations/info needed to make an informed decision.....apparently you did NOT read it...did you?

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...ones-(through-******-3)&p=1759171#post1759171

Ouch.

Did not mean to seem so...well...mean.

It was supposed to be sarcasm.
I was referring to the choice of cone shape, which is defined in my post....
I have posted many answers over the years to newbies, & so many times they get asked over & over again in different threads, and it's obvious they never read them. :wink:

Since your nose come shape is already not optimal for the velocity you hope to achieve I would suggest just rounding off the tip of a conical nosecone. The decreased concentration of heat may make a metal tip unnecessary.
Or better yet, just fly it as is and replace the tip if it burns off.

I did read it and it was very helpful! We decided to go with a conical nose cone for ease of manufacturing for now, and will continue to research and learn about Von Karman nose cones for the future.

Back