Rocketry Hobby Room

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glasspack

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
20180210_114908.jpg

I must say I was not sure where best to post this as I enjoy all aspects of rocketry. Low, Mid and High Power model Rocketry, and even the electronics involved.
Like me.......I bet The "build" is a favorite part of so many of you !!
I have been talking about getting the basement room finished and now its about done. I will be sharing a room with my wife's Quilt / Sewing Hobby. We have about 11' x 19' to set up and also about a 4' x 7' Closet. please share with me your set up and room ideas. Would love to see some photos of others work areas. I already have matching work bench and tool chest with butcher block tops.

20180210_114842.jpg20180210_114904.jpg

Thank you All
Glasspack

[video=youtube;CC1-52zoEoA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC1-52zoEoA[/video]

[video=youtube;sLY88u_a3fg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLY88u_a3fg[/video]

I would keep in mind some type of saw dust, fiberglass dust...ect, ect vacuum system to keep the air dust free while working. I it looks like your limited to having access to open windows or the like should you need to aerate you or your wife's work area. Also have you incorporated any provisions (coax cable) for cable service should your want TV in your work space. Just my two cents. otherwise it looks great!!!

Geoffrey

Last edited:
A "build thread" of a different nature. :wink:

Very nice. My "workshop" is the part of my basement that is also our guest room when my mom comes. I have very little room to work, unless I go out to the garage, which is pretty cold this time of year. I would love to have a sizeable room devoted to building things.

Yes there are 3 cable outlets as well as an Ethernet connection for my laptop, to which I can use Rocksim and the "Rocketry Forum" down there. There is only one window, it's on the west wall. I also have a window fan that can be put it to exhaust the room. Anytime I need to Vacuum will have to come from my Shop Vac.

What do you all use to store or display your flyable collection.

Thank you

I would keep in mind some type of saw dust, fiberglass dust...ect, ect vacuum system to keep the air dust free while working.
Built-in vacuum cleaner (with HEPA filter) to keep the dust away and safe is a nice convenience item. Saves getting the vac out all the time, and tripping over it on the floor. Looking at buying one currently as I am doing more carbon fiber.

Another thing to keep in mind is to have things like tissues (toilet paper roll), paper towels, shop cloths and disposable gloves in a common, quickly accessible location. I find this works well, especially when things don't go entirely to plan during gluing.

One thing I do is to have all my measuring tools in one location. Very convenient.

Don't forget a separate storage area if possible. Keeps things a little neater. A little short stud wall hiding the storage gives you more wall space to hang things on too. My storage is tucked away behind the bench in the first pic.

Here are some pics of my setup:
RocketBenchresize.JPG MechBenchresize.JPG ElecBenchresize.JPG Millresize.JPG Latheresize.JPG

I have upgraded my oscilloscope to something more contemporary in the meantime.

Well we did some priming and painting this weekend. I added a few more photos of the room, including the cabinets (Doors removed) that will go on the wall. The cabinets are not shimmed or leveled yet. They are Oak kitchen cabinets and should look nice when finished. Unfortunately my wife is going to use them for her side. Guess that means I get the entire closet for Rocket storage.

Anyone care to show me the racks or stands you use to store the finished models. My thought was to hang them horizontally some how. But would like more ideas/inspiration. Thank you all for your comments/photos and advice. Wish I had the room John has, but I am still pretty new to High Power Rocketry, so I will make do. At least I know I have plenty of electrical power for the room. Maybe I should get a nice small disc/belt sander combo. I even have a nice scroll saw I could put in there. Anyone ever use a scroll saw for model rocketry. I haven't yet but I could see use for one at times.

Thank you Paul20180219_062050.jpg20180219_143211.jpg20180219_144240.jpg20180219_180225.jpg

Well we did some priming and painting this weekend. I added a few more photos of the room, including the cabinets (Doors removed) that will go on the wall. The cabinets are not shimmed or leveled yet. They are Oak kitchen cabinets and should look nice when finished. Unfortunately my wife is going to use them for her side. Guess that means I get the entire closet for Rocket storage.

Anyone care to show me the racks or stands you use to store the finished models. My thought was to hang them horizontally some how. But would like more ideas/inspiration. Thank you all for your comments/photos and advice. Wish I had the room John has, but I am still pretty new to High Power Rocketry, so I will make do. At least I know I have plenty of electrical power for the room. Maybe I should get a nice small disc/belt sander combo. I even have a nice scroll saw I could put in there. Anyone ever use a scroll saw for model rocketry. I haven't yet but I could see use for one at times.

Thank you PaulView attachment 338994View attachment 338995View attachment 338996View attachment 338997

Looking good. I use a scroll saw for rocketry. It's a Rockwell Bladerunner. It works well for cutting curved fins, and it doesn't take up much space. Now that I'm building a larger rocket shop, I might look for a band saw. I think I could probably get smoother cuts.

One aspect that often gets neglected when people plan out a new workshop, is planning storage for completed rockets. Spend some time thinking about what kinds of rockets you build, and what is the best way to safely store them, keeping in mind that the storage needs will grow continually.

LW, Thats why I was hoping to get some more input from the forum readers on storage racks or stands. Right now some models are in boxes and my large ones are in a tall black cabinet in the garage. Wife sugested some sort of tub on wheels to move in and out of the closet.
Maybe I could build a rolling crate of sorts.

LW, Thats why I was hoping to get some more input from the forum readers on storage racks or stands. Right now some models are in boxes and my large ones are in a tall black cabinet in the garage. Wife sugested some sort of tub on wheels to move in and out of the closet.
Maybe I could build a rolling crate of sorts.

In that I am a LPR/MPR/L1 hobbyist, I planned in 3 different storage solutions for my completed rockets.

First of all, my rocket storage is on the opposite side of the room from the workbench. Completed rockets are either stored high up, or in closed cabinets to keep them away from the sawdust.

(All these pictures were taken almost 4 years ago)

In this first picture, you can see a small shelf devoted to my minis and my micros (displayed on spool racks). Above them is a shelf for the other low power stuff. What you cannot tell from the picture is that the space for LPR wraps around that back wall in a U-shape. I have make "palettes" from pegboard (not shown in this older photo), where multiple dowels are screwed into the holes. That prevents the "domino effect" as well as gives me an easy way to pull down a whole "rack" of rockets at a time.
14612277904_cfc1ffb1b9_z.jpg

Here is another angle on that back wall so you can see the top of the cabinet where more palettes can be stored in the future:

14611134281_48b1ddea4b_z.jpg

Here is a peek inside that cabinet where my larger LP, my MPR and L1 rockets are stored. It is way more full now than when this picture was taken!

14591334236_df9989ecd8_z.jpg

I devoted a lot of thought into designing storage solution that WORKS FOR ME AND FOR MY ROCKETS. I hope it will give you food for thought for figuring out what works best for you.

Last edited:
LW, Thank you so much. Your white cabinet must be like... built in, there is a pipe cleanout at the back corner. Seeing your setup I see no reason to leave my tall black cabinet in the garage the way it is ....... It is how I currently store my models and I have used it for years. I will get a picture of it later...

Not storing my finished/flying fleet in the hobby room, leaves more room to work !!

Last edited:
Well all the furniture is in the new hobby room and I have been trying to get all my stuff put away but got side tracked playing with my LVL2 Cert project.
Currently still brainstorming it all; but the Avionics bay has been on the table For set up planing20181118_115456.jpg 20181118_115832.jpg 20181118_115818.jpg 20181118_115720.jpg 20181118_115508.jpg 20181118_115502.jpg .

20190430_135630.jpg
Lucky Ba$!rd.....lol:mad:

Thank you Jim, I do feel lucky...… Only took 14 years in the house to get it set up.

Now if only I had your skill and talent at this hobby !!

I just got a Fed Ex box today ...anyone who has a hard time getting ejection charge powder... Powder Valley in KS has it ! and I didn't have to buy 25 pound minimum.....

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Its not cheap by the time you add Hazard cargo fees..... but, what fun hobby is cheap?

Back